Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

laptop recommendations needed please

Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · laptop recommendations needed please

well, looks like my one year old HP barely meets the minimum system requirements for Nikon ViewNX2, and my D610 files are causing performance alert, high CPU issues..budget < $2000...my current HP Pavilion G7 has a 1.5 ghz processor, 4gb RAM, 500GB hd, 64 bit, USB 2.0...the perf alerts only happen when using Nikon ViewNX2...

.any ideas on what to replace it with? thanks in advance!

Edited on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:11 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · laptop recommendations needed please

what you looking to spend ?
the new MBP's look real nice (sorry but ive turned into an Apple whore since i bought my imac ) but im sure the current MBA's would work fine as well

but I have to say Im pretty impressed with the Lenovo Yoga we bought for the wife a couple of months ago .
13" core i5 version with 128gb SSD .
really nice screen and great keyboard . and it folds back over on itself to become a 13" tablet . in its tablet form its not the easiest thing to hold while standing (i suspect the 11" version is better for that) but as a Lap tablet its great .
I think there is a cheaper non 'yoga' version as well

I run LR5 with files from the 7d and 5D3 on the yoga when Im away from my imac and it runs fine

in its tablet form it even makes Win8 seem sensible

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · laptop recommendations needed please

Any image editing program can make the cpu pretty busy on any computer for a while if not for a long time. High cpu usage will not be fixed with a typical upgrade. However, if you are concerned about slow performance then that might be due to other factors such as inadequate RAM cause the computer to use the slow hard drive for page swapping in which stuff in RAM is temporarily moved onto a slow disc drive so that something else can be loaded into RAM. If you have only 2GB of RAM then you need more - at least 4GB. 8 might be better but unless you are running multiple programs at once or editing huge files you may never use it all up. Still, that would indicate that you are not bogging your computer down.

I do not recommend a new Apple computer. When they come out with an anti-glare retina screen then I'll be all over it but until then it is a very expensive computer for something that will always have the wrong screen. That expense is partly because its Apple and partly because what is usually a cheap future upgrade has to be purchased up front with the recent Apple computers. Some of those goodies are soldered onto the motherboard instead of sitting in sockets.

If your laptop will be your only computer and if you will not have a separate screen for photo editing work, then get a laptop with an IPS screen or else there will be colour and tonal changes just between what you see at the top of the screen and what you see at the bottom viewed from the same eye position. It is impossible to prevent this. I find it most obvious in dark blues when tend to go very dark towards the top of the screen. It's all about the angle of view and the quoted 178 degree viewing angle is akin to saying a used car is in "great condition" without saying "for its age". i.e. somewhere between misleading and an outright lie.

The retina screens use IPS technology but few other laptops do because they are generally more expensive. Those that do use IPS probably don't have the resolution you need or the anti-glare surface. A few weeks ago I could nothing suitable here in Australia.

Back to your own computer, give us some specs such as cpu type and speed, amount of RAM, storage size and type (e.g. SSD vs HDD). Maybe then you'll get some more precise advice.

- Alan

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · laptop recommendations needed please

There are literally dozens of reasonable laptops on the market:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N56VJ/#overview

Or something similar?

Oct 29, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · laptop recommendations needed please

I'll check em' out, thanks

Edited on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · laptop recommendations needed please

I don't think so. The retina screens are less glossy than traditional screens but still a lot more glossy than a genuine matte (anti-glare) screen. You'd be well aware of the difference if you were outside or near a window or in a very well lit room. I was going to say that Apple no longer offer the matte screens on their non-retina macbook pros but in fact they just decided to not offer any non-retina MBPs at all.

$1600 may seem expensive but by the time you add RAM and storage it can get a whole lot more expensive. The thing is that nobody else is offering retina screens and once you've used one you'll get hooked on it. So, like listening to good hi fi or test driving a new car - don't try unless you can afford to buy

- Alan

Oct 29, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · laptop recommendations needed please

thx, Best Buy has a couple of ASUS laptops ~$1k, 1 TB hd, 8gb RAM, etc. that look interesting.....I'm not in a huge hurry, at least wait for the hoilday specials

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · laptop recommendations needed please

I bought and totally dig the Dell XPS-12 just recently.

Man is this thing is fast too… whoa…

The have some deals on others which look pretty good too: Dell Deals

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · laptop recommendations needed please

does anyone know if the sd slots in newer USB 3.0 pc's transfer files as fast as adding a USB 3.0 card reader would? I'm using SD Ex Pro 95 mb/s cards...thanks

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kell
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · laptop recommendations needed please

just came back from an Apple Store...so for the same price, specs I can get the all in 1 iMac with 21" monitor or a MBP Retina...tough decision...anyone have experience with either of these that would care to share...portability isn't high on my list but the MBP R sure is nice...since I've been using a 17" laptop forever the 15 isn't a huge downgrade, but the 21" sounds good too...what are most people happiest with these days...I really don't know which way to go on this...probably have Aperature v3.5 loaded on either...thanks

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · laptop recommendations needed please

The MBP will give you portability, and it's as easy as pie to connect to a desktop monitor when you need screen real estate.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · laptop recommendations needed please

great point...tilts my decision in favor of the mbpr, thanks

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · laptop recommendations needed please

so pretty sure getting the MBPR...I'll just use it like I have for all my past laptops...web viewing, email, pay bills and RAW photo processing...don't foresee my behavior changing, will the base spec 2.0 I 7, 8 gig RAM and 256 SSD/flash drive be more than fine, future proof enough for my needs? or bite the bullet, spend the extra $600 for bigger 2.4 I 7, 16 RAM and 512 HD storage? storage isn't a huge issue either, my workflow is simple...load pics, work em' back em' up to external hd. and money isn't a huge issue, just don't want waste $600 if I won't likely need it...thanks

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:48 PM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · laptop recommendations needed please

Paul Mo wrote:
The MBP will give you portability, and it's as easy as pie to connect to a desktop monitor when you need screen real estate.

Good advice, Paul! this is exactly what I am going to do. Get the latest Macbook Pro 15-inch Retina and order all the bells and whistles to the max and then get a 27-inch thunderbolt apple display to view and process all of my processed D800e Raw files. My problem is, will the latest version of Capture NX2 be compatible with the Mavericks OSX 10.9 Anybody using Capture NX2 have any problems with the latest Maverick OSX?

effie

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · laptop recommendations needed please

makes total sense, ordering my 15" mbpr....I was going to get the 27-inch thunderbolt apple display but it's $1000 and looks like there are nice ones for significantly less, the Apple has allot of stuff that I just won't need. Also, waiting for Aperature 3.5 to add Nikon D610 to their list of supported cameras...so researching monitor, external hd and photo editing software...never easy, just need to have patience, thanks

Nov 04, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · laptop recommendations needed please

These new things look pretty interesting:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Dell-XPS-18.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4qefX7Xj7Q

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:38 AM
Hendrik
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · laptop recommendations needed please

The Asus N56 series are very good. The display is reasonable. When you combine it with a large good quality display, you have perfect editing possabilities at home.

Personally, I think the MBP computers are nice, but you still have a small screen. For the same money I have a very good laptop for my travels and a high-end large display at home.

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:13 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · laptop recommendations needed please

ecidi wrote:
Good advice, Paul! this is exactly what I am going to do. Get the latest Macbook Pro 15-inch Retina and order all the bells and whistles to the max and then get a 27-inch thunderbolt apple display to view and process all of my processed D800e Raw files. My problem is, will the latest version of Capture NX2 be compatible with the Mavericks OSX 10.9 Anybody using Capture NX2 have any problems with the latest Maverick OSX?

effie

I dont use Capture NX2 too much anymore but it seems to perform fine (v2.4.4) on Mavericks.

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password