Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Barbaric

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:53 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Barbaric or not, they are going to happen whether I am there to take photos or not. You are entitled to your opinion, but this is a photography forum and I was looking for comments on the photo itself, not the morality of the content, which is out of my control.

You may be more interested in this site
http://www.peta.org/

Nov 04, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Johnny5liter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

You get what you get and you don't get upset. I have no opinion on the photo other than that. Sorry, deal with it!

Nov 04, 2013 at 07:49 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Beautiful love the tones and emotion of both of them, to bad one is gonna lose

Keep sharing

Phil

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:40 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Thank you Phil. Making it a B&W was tough. The cape and matador's clothes are very colorful.

to bad one is gonna lose
Usually it is the bull, but sometimes they win, if the matador gets careless. It is not a waste. The meat from the bull is sold to restaurants. Actually, up until the "moment of truth", the bulls probably have a better life than the average non-free range steer. Kept in a crowded stall until slaughter, then shot in the head. Remember that Johnny5liter, next time you're enjoying that hamburger. Just because it is not a spectacle, makes it no less barbaric. Unless you're a vegan, you are a hypocrite.

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:19 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

jojomon11 wrote:
Beautiful love the tones and emotion of both of them, to bad one is gonna lose

Keep sharing

Phil

+1

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Dougo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Hi Gary,

It certainly has impact and drama, if we were to stop taking photos that may offend some peoples feelings, then there would be precious few photos taken at all. About the photo, there does appears to be a halo around the cape that stands out a bit

Cheers Ray

Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 04:15 AM · View previous versions

Nov 05, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Your picture is OK; perspective, toning and timing are very well captured, though I find the DoF a bit much, and there's a halo around the cloth being waved around that feels unnatural. The subject represents, to put it mildly, a very unkind form of "sport." One need not be a card carrying member of PETA to hold such a view.

Why do photographers get so annoyed when a commentator reflects on the gruesome nature of the subject, rather than the rather dull technical particulars of how you captured it? You're presenting an image on a pretty controversial topic. Funny that the predictably strong emotional response to the image drives you to refer observers out to the PETA website (whose peacenik views are hardly more extreme than the cruelty and suffering being depicted here).

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:42 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Thank you all for the comments. I was visiting with my GF's family in Spain and they took us to the bullfights. Not something I would do on my own but it was an opportunity to get some action shots. one of which won me an award 2 years ago. I only had a 20D and a commercial 18-250 Tamron with me. I had to max out to ISO 3200 as the light was fading and I had to get fast shutter speeds. I was contemplating submitting this in a club competition and was trying to get some feedback. There are outstanding photographers on this site and I have learned a lot here. That is what this forum is all about.
Arka, if the other poster had posted a critique and then let me know his objection to the subject, as you did, I would not have had the slightest problem with that. I know this is controversial. But leaving an abrupt "barbaric" and nothing else prompted the PETA link, meaning go tell someone who wants your opinion about bullfighting. I was just looking for feedback on a photograph I took.

Thanks again to all who did.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Johnny5liter
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

OP, sorry I got your panties in a twist. You really shouldn't get so upset...Be content that I commented on your photo. I wasn't implying that YOU were barbaric. However, you took it as such. I obviously know nothing about you. You're obviously passionate about your work, but this is an internet forum and you need not take it so personally. Enjoy and keep shooting. I look forward to "critiquing" your work in the future. BTW, I enjoy a burger every now and then. I just don't think we should play so barbarically with our food. Peace and Love...Peace and Love!

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Stdon
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

I'm constantly amused by some that fish letting the fish fight it's little heart out on the end of a hook with a steel leader is okay but find the bullfight to be barbaric. Also I think that in most places that I've been to the meat is distributed to orphanages and other organizations for the poor for free.

Actually the bull has the advantage.

Nice catch BTW.

Nov 10, 2013 at 02:28 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

I love how you captured the 4 "banderillas" stuck on the back of the beast, nice.

Barbaric barbaric is the large number of holocausts already happening in the world not bullfighting a beast with the chance to kill the fighter which is more than what many innocent people can do !!!

Nice photo, agree with the halo.

Bytheway: did you taste the wonderfull lobster in Gijon they are cooked alive !!!

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:50 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Thank you Stdon & jmraso for the feedback

Not to continue this controversy, I agree with you about fishing. Catch and release never made sense to me. It should be catch and eat, if you're going to hook the thing.

jmraso, I assume you are being sarcastic and know ALL lobsters are boiled alive. No animal, that is eaten, has a good death.

I am going to fix the halo and blur the background more, then submit for club competition. To all, I really appreciate the feedback.

BTW, I had to kill some time in Madrid, before my flight home. I went to the botanical gardens by the Prado and then ate a lunch of braised bull meat. It was delicious.

Nov 11, 2013 at 08:43 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bullfight in Gijon Spain

Asides from the content, what bugs me most on the shot is his lack of defined eyes (man not bull).

Nov 12, 2013 at 02:50 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.