Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

I'm re-dipping a toe in to see if Sigma is really a better company regarding supporting their lenses.

I've just bought a used 12-24/4.5-5.6 DG HSM (version 1) on eBay. Seller had listed known defects such as severe back focus, some (relatively minor) scratches on front element, and no front hood. I'm concerned about the AF problems, as he said he always used it in manual focus mode with good results. Just ordered OP/TECH's Hood Hat to take care of the lens protection.

I know there is a 12-24 version II that is the current lens, but I'm hoping Sigma will support this lens and make needed repair/adjustment.

Is this the best place to send it?
Sigma Corporation of America
Attn: Service Department
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Is there anyone I should address to attention the repair? Any contact needed before shipping?

Any comments on similar repairs and the outcome dealing with Sigma?

How this matter is dealt with will probably have a big influence on whether I buy any of Sigma's newer offerings. I've previously had decidedly mixed results on earlier Sigma lenses.

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 12:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Can't help with any of your questions because I'm in Canada & we use a different service depot (who did a great job on my 1 warranty repair) but here's an old photo at 12 mm with one one the very new to the scene 5D2.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_s1cvZw1Yho/Syn_G-XEu4I/AAAAAAAABYs/0pxMChUks14/s1024/IMG_0057.JPG

I still have mine & would buy another.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
phidong
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Tel: 631 227-2036
Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858
E-mail: [email protected]

That is where I sent my old old lens IIRC. I would definitely give them a call or e-mail before sending your stuff so you'll know for sure whether or not they will service it. Not sure how many of the same parts the newer version of the lens uses but older lenses might take a while to service if they don't have the parts on hand and need to have them shipped out from Japan. IIRC My 70-210mm f/2.8 took ~3 months to get back but that was an OOOLD lens even back then and I was getting it chipped to work on digital SLRs.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

I sent my 20/2.8 to Ronkonkoma for calibration about 18 months ago. I did call them first but they weren't much for communication. The guy on the phone just said "send it in" and I never heard back from them again. But my lens was returned quickly, nicely calibrated, no charge.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

I just received the lens today. Can't tell if it is wonky or not.

12mm is W-I-D-E!

Very strangely soft on the sides, even at f/11. Trying to dial in MFA, or determine if there is a de-centered element or something else. Made some MFA headway with the 1Ds3, and just beginning the 5D2. So far, I'm at +5 for the 1Ds3 and +3 for the 5D2 -- subject to change with more use.

Maybe this is just the way the lens is? Anyone know what to expect?

This may work out as a specialty lens, used as-is. For less than $250 shipped, this may be an okay find.

More testing!

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

The review on SLR Gear pretty well matches my preliminary findings.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/194

The bad news is the lens has its quirks.

The good news seems to be the lens is operating within its normal range of image capture and quality.

Looks like no trip to Sigma at this point.

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:01 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

I too bought a v1 12-24 on ebay and mine had to go back to Japan to be fixed/realigned whatever (the seller lied), unfortunately it went back just before the tsunami so it was gone a long while!

It is a very odd beast, even after having been reclaibrated I gave up trying to use AF as it was hopeless and use live view- most unusually I find it needs precise focusing even with the ginormous DOF. Also it needs stopping well down to f11-f13 to get any degree of sharpness plus much more sharpening & contrast in post than any of my other lenses - for me it needs using on a tripod

But.. kept bolt upright even 12mm is very usable for interiors etc with incredibly little distortion. I use mine a lot for that.

I don't think it's very realistic to expect miracles from a full frame 12mm zoom and I don't, but it's quite a useful if odd beast worth persevering with.

This is actually a tiny little box room, note the relative lack of distortion on the left hand pillar:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/983812-24test-med.jpg

This one was actually inside a standard shipping container, note lack of distortion, 12mm f11

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/983812-24test2-med.jpg

Antonov inside and out 12mm 1Ds3:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/9838TCO_plane_056e-med.jpg
https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/9838TCO_plane_005-med.jpg

Useful lens

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Nice Antonov shots. That is one wide lens!

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:37 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Hawkan wrote:
Nice Antonov shots. That is one wide lens!

Had a full day playing about inside one, great fun. A bit agricultural.

The right hand side of the plane exterior is actually completely faked - I copied and flipped it from the left side to hide a huge crane that was pulled right up next to the jet

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 04:44 AM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Very nice dlphoto.

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:43 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Very nice dlphoto.

Thanks, this is the sort of stuff I do all the time, I usually just can't post it due to copyright but this should be ok now

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:45 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

I have the V2.
Both versions have low resolution in the corners at 12mm and any review will tell you that.
But I don't think it's fair to "blame" sigma, since we are talking about a 12mm zoom lens. We should put things into perspective.
By looking at your pics, the results appear to be inside what is to be expected from this lens.

Yes, 12mm is very very wide, you need to watch your feet.
Be careful with close-ups. Looking through the viewfinder, the subject might look far away while in fact it may be nearly touching the front element. Be careful not to bump into it.
Also, if you hold the lens close to the front element, your hand (or better, fingers) might actually show up it the picture.

It's very soft at the corners/borders at 12mm, but it's an amazing lens, 12mm at FF will give you an amazing perspective.
And the corners sharpen up by 14 or 15mm, specially if stopped down.
So consider it a nice 15-24mm lens that can go down to 12mm for special occasions (pictures), where the look you get from it outweighs the need for high resolution in the corners.

For the price you paid, I would keep it.

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

dhphoto and fraga -- Thanks for the info and great advice. And dh, really great examples. Very helpful.

Here are a couple quick test shots using LV and comparing to Samyang 14/2.8. The 12mm is maybe not shown here as dramatically as it is compared to the 14mm -- it gets significantly more real estate in each shot! 12mm on the left of each shot.

So, if this is to be a tripod mounted, manual focus, LV lens for $200+, so be it! I'm sure it will get use at the smaller apertures. Nothing comes close, except composite pano images.

The last shot (tripod) is hand held with AF (changing focus each time to force AF to refocus) after adjusting the 5D2 to zero (24mm setting on left, 12mm setting on right). I know the lens is fluky, but I seem to be making progress in dialing-in the MFA. The curvature and SA are weird on this lens, making it really hard to get reliable AF and predictable. But in a pinch, I'd like to have it working.

Nov 01, 2013 at 12:36 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

14mm is still pretty wide isn't it!

Is there a lot of difference in the edges and sharpness between the two?

P.S. I love old dogs

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Yes, there is a huge advantage with the 14/2.8. It's sharper all over, especially the edges.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:27 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

Gunzorro wrote:
Yes, there is a huge advantage with the 14/2.8. It's sharper all over, especially the edges.

It wasn't available when I got the Sigma, if it had been I think I would have gone with the Samyang, it looks good, the Canon 14mm is just so expensive

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:30 PM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 12-24 On Full Frame (formerly "Sigma Repairs")

A few people I know have been using the 12-24 extensively for newspaper and agency work, some even on FF (most on Canon 1D series cameras). I was tempted, but chose their 14/2.8 instead.

The 12-24 is proven to suffer from massive field curvature at 12mm in addition to vignetting and CA, so that may explain the odd results.

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.