New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Foggy - Edited ?

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foggy - Edited ?

Shot this morning in "Heavy Fog" ( visibility 1/8 mile). What could I do to improve image? Thank you for taking a look. Jim
The second image has my attempts at removing the car and upper right artifacts. Your opinion is appreciated. Jim

Heavy Fog

Edited

Edited on Oct 29, 2013 at 03:23 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:47 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foggy - Edited ?

I like the image. The only thing I can see is maybe to clone out the car?

Very nice.
Keith

Oct 28, 2013 at 06:43 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foggy - Edited ?

beanpkk wrote:

Very nice.
Keith

+1
Scott

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foggy - Edited ?

Consider reducing the blue for a more neutral gray fog effect. (Assuming this was meant to be in sRGB color space.) Perhaps by using a curves adjustment layer and shopping around to sample what ought to be a middle gray. Also, some minor problems in the upper right corner:

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foggy - Edited ?

beanpkk wrote:

Very nice.
Keith

Thank you Keith.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foggy - Edited ?

sbeme wrote:
+1
Scott

Thank you very much Scott

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:01 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foggy - Edited ?

AuntiPode wrote:
Consider reducing the blue for a more neutral gray fog effect. (Assuming this was meant to be in sRGB color space.) Perhaps by using a curves adjustment layer and shopping around to sample what ought to be a middle gray. Also, some minor problems in the upper right corner:

The Blue was noticed but I got lazy. The upper right stuff is from cropping out the power lines. Thank you for the comments

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foggy - Edited ?

Took a stab at it.

Kinda depends on how you want to present it. You could adjust your WB to get a warm morning glow in the fog, or you could take it to more of a neutral. I dialed back on the sat just a tad as well.

I kept wanting to take the tree to nice bright, crisp colors (which it responded to well) ... but then that would be a mismatch for the lighting conditions, so I resisted and went a bit muted/less vibrant. Going the warm glow route with the sun trying to penetrate the fog (wondering if that was your actual conditions @ sky), would tolerate a bit more vivid, crisp, warm glow @ plausible (albeit unusual).

Note: RATS !!! Colors are off a tad, as I was working in the wrong soft proof mode and had to backtrack. Anyway, you get the gist at going toward neutral vs. going toward warm.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foggy - Edited ?

RustyBug wrote:
Took a stab at it.

Kinda depends on how you want to present it. You could adjust your WB to get a warm morning glow in the fog, or you could take it to more of a neutral. I dialed back on the sat just a tad as well.

I kept wanting to take the tree to nice bright, crisp colors (which it responded to well) ... but then that would be a mismatch for the lighting conditions, so I resisted and went a bit muted/less vibrant. Going the warm glow route with the sun trying to penetrate the fog (wondering if
...Show more

Thank you. Originally I was going for the warm/sun breaking through look. Alas, I am such a Velvia person that I could not force myself to desaturate. Your suggestions are appreciated. Jim

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foggy - Edited ?

Yeah, I know what you mean. Velvia runs deep in my veins too. FujiChrome 50 and a tripod, what more did you need?

Now that I know more @ the conditions/goal ... I'm curious to see the original raw to see if we can produce the vibe you're after.

Oct 29, 2013 at 07:22 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foggy - Edited ?

RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Velvia runs deep in my veins too. FujiChrome 50 and a tripod, what more did you need?

Now that I know more @ the conditions/goal ... I'm curious to see the original raw to see if we can produce the vibe you're after.

I am posting an original, per your request.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foggy - Edited ?

Challenging to be sure, and very subjective at rendering processing decisions, but here's a rough stab to try and retain the fog/mood (i.e. low contrast).

Ah, NUTS !!! ... I did it again @ processed in wrong proof profile view. Colors may be a bit askew from where I wanted them, but hopefully you get the gist.

Edited on Oct 29, 2013 at 03:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2013 at 02:47 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foggy - Edited ?

RustyBug wrote:
Challenging to be sure, and very subjective at rendering processing decisions, but here's a rough stab to try and retain the fog/mood (i.e. low contrast).

Thank you Kent. I am attaching a second image with the attempted adjustments (Crop car / remove artifacts from upper right) you comments would be appreciated. Jim

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.