New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

ronno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Hi, anyone here used the ML Dual ISO mode? Is it worth trying?

thanks for any info you have...

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

A work colleague of mine has been using it on his 6D and it's pretty amazing. We were comparing shots of high contrast scenes in normal and dual ISO mode, and there was no comparison, dual ISO mode was like HDR, but no grunge look. Despite the loss of vertical resolution it seems worthwhile and you still have 10MP on the 6D. I guess you could do vertically stacked panoramas with a longer lens if you wanted to increase res.

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:23 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Problem is you can't use the latest 5DIII firmware. If you want AF at f/8, you cannot install ML yet.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

I was just going to ask about the firmware, if it needs to be the latest version for the 6D.

Looking through the documentation, I saw a snap of a camera LCD screen under Focus Tools that shows DotTune listed as an option but I can't find any mention of it in the documentation. Is anyone using this hack?

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Do they have one for the 6D that you don't have to compile yourself?

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

johnctharp wrote:
Do they have one for the 6D that you don't have to compile yourself?

Yes.

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

I had 1.1.2 firmware in the camera, so I updated it to 1.1.3 (according to the documentation, you confirm this when you select the file to download - the filename/numbering scheme must match the firmware revision of the camera, which must be the latest version.

Unfortunately, after following all the steps, the Camera refuses to recognize that the ML software has been copied to the card. I can't make it boot from the SD card so I'm sol until I figure out what has to be done.

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Looks like maybe my SD card doesn't support booting. I'll try a smaller card when I can buy one tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

I wonder why ML are working so slowly with the 5D3. Still in alpha.

Oct 29, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Beni wrote:
I wonder why ML are working so slowly with the 5D3. Still in alpha.

Resources.

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:56 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Despite the loss of vertical resolution it seems worthwhile and you still have 10MP on the 6D. I guess you could do vertically stacked panoramas with a longer lens if you wanted to increase res.

If you're going to shoot a panorama to account for the loss of vertical resolution then you might as well just shoot two exposures at different ISOs. The only advantage of the ML method is that it allows you to get extended DR for action scenes where multiple exposures is not an option.

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Matt Grum wrote:
If you're going to shoot a panorama to account for the loss of vertical resolution then you might as well just shoot two exposures at different ISOs. The only advantage of the ML method is that it allows you to get extended DR for action scenes where multiple exposures is not an option.

Yeah, good point.

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:26 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Resources.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7486.0

Its not resources. It's a lack of will. And this comes directly from the top. Alex, the ringleader over at Magic Lantern says that he sees it more as a hobby project or experiment and has no desire to make it a product for the masses. And this approach is really a crying shame, because it means that it will probably never mature into reliable stability, the 5D3 version will never leave Alpha, and we will never get access to Magic Lantern on the 1.2.1 or newer Canon firmwares. Obviously, if we are this many months into firmware 1.21. and the Magic Lantern team has not even attempted to try to get it working then Alex doesn't give a flying flip about AF @ f/8 or the other new features and bug fixes in firmware 1.2.1. And if he doesn't want it or care about it, it doesn't get done.

The other problem with Magic Lantern is the lack of discipline. The developers never really finish anything. They get bored and move on to the next big thing, leaving a trail of bits and pieces behind, some stuff that works very well, other things are not stable or reliable at all. Its like dealing with a bunch of 13 year-olds who are really good programmers but they don't see beyond the moment very well. Soon enough, I'm sure the 5D3 will be replaced, the next big thing will be here (Canon or not?) they will move along and development will basically be over.

If they would just stop developing new stuff for long enough to stabilize what they have already done and get it working on the latest firmware, the whole project would benefit immensely, but it will never happen because stability isn't sexy and it doesn't make you famous.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:06 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

super35 wrote:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7486.0

Its not resources. It's a lack of will.

I only wish they'll get Magic Lantern working somewhat for 70D. I really dig their automated dot tune adjustment. Works miracles on my 6D. Apart from that, I have little use for MagicLantern.

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

thw2 wrote:
I only wish they'll get Magic Lantern working somewhat for 70D. I really dig their automated dot tune adjustment. Works miracles on my 6D. Apart from that, I have little use for MagicLantern.

I asked earlier in the thread about DotTune.

Can you describe how it automates the process?

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

Another question I have (have not had time to read all the tech support) is that if you try the software on the 5D3, is it easy to go back to normal? Is it as easy as removing the CF card and it's back to the Canon firmware?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D3 and Magic Lantern Dual ISO mode

ronno wrote:
Another question I have (have not had time to read all the tech support) is that if you try the software on the 5D3, is it easy to go back to normal? Is it as easy as removing the CF card and it's back to the Canon firmware?

You also have to remove the battery for a minute.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.