New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Red Rover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

First, I will call Nikon today and talk to tech support and customer service..

Now for the rant. My D7000 is a little over a year old and now out of warranty. I noticed from the beginning that the images weren't sharp. I learned about the back focusing issue and adjusted for it, but it needed to be calibrated. I have an authorized Nikon repair center nearby so i took it in. It took more than six weeks to get it back because they said the shutter was bad and the part took a while to get. They also gave me "the line" about impact damage, but I conviced the owner that was not possible.

The repair seemed to be good and I was satisfied. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot much or use the D7000 much after the repair because of just being busy. I pulled it out the other day and the shutter release seems to be bad. I have the MB-D11 grip and that shutter release works, but the main shutter release is dead. I will try resetting the camera to factory and remove the grip, etc. to see if it will work. The problem occurs in all modes, S, A, M,, etc. I don't have Quiet or MUP set either. The shutter will just not fire with the camera body shutter release.

I am very disappointed with this Nikon. My first was an F2 photomic and it was solid as a tank. I think this D7000 is a lemon.

Ironically, I can still get good, sharp shots with an old D-50 and 18-55 kit lens.

OK, rant off. Thanks for listening.

PS, I will have funds in January for a system upgrade. If the D7000 is fixed and does not cost me too much, that upgrade might just be the Nikon Trinity of lenses. If, not, it might include a Trinity with red rings and some white lenses and a new body.

Edited on Oct 29, 2013 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:52 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Sorry to hear about your troubles - if I was working in Nikon service and your camera gave you trouble only a few shutter counts after a previous service I'd fix it for free or if you had the same body in several times I'd offer to swap it out for another refurb or take it in for refurb or new Nikon store credit.

I don't work there or manage there so I dunno - but I'd still try talking to the previous repair center and see if they will do something for you.

It's a shame that the service dept is turning off so many people from their great gear. About swapping camps, maybe you'll be happier, maybe not - but my 7D was capable of stunning, sharp images, yet rarely produced them due to inconsistent AF. It wasn't operator error and it wasn't a dud, as evidenced by the widespread howling about the same behavior from all but the pro bodies in that camp. So much happier with Nikon - and thankful I haven't had to send anything in yet since I swapped a couple years ago.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Well, I called today and was only able to speak with a customer sevice rep who didn't know very much about cameras. She asked questions, but they were generic and she didn't really understand the technical issues I was describing. I asked to speak to a tech rep and she said that was not possible since "they are in New York and we are not".

I will not go back to the local authorized repair center since I believe they should have replaced the part, rather than repair it. The owner is very pushy and claimed that I had impact damege which caused the problem. I told him nicely that he was full of it and he backed down. I will only deal directly with Nikon now.

My local camera shop told me they might have repaired instead of replaced it since the Nikon parts are hard to get, even for authorized centers. Whatever the reason, I am through dealing with the local repair center.

I don't expect to get it done for free, but if they are not reasonable, I will be considering the switch to cameras with white lenses. I also need to look up that other company that does repairs at a reasonable price. I have seen them mentioned on the forum but their name eludes me right now. I believe the name is a set of initials.

PS I just looked up KEH and it seems that they now have flat rate pricing. I presume the D7000 is considered Pro rather than consumer and the repair is $205 plus return shipping. Let's see how Nikon prices the repair. I hope I don't have to post in the "Dear Nikon" thread about a negative experience.

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

The other company is APS.

I'd be suprised if anyone considered the D7000 a pro camera - "prosumer", maybe. But the pro controls and build quality just aren't there.

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:49 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

APS, thanks. that's what I was looking for.

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:05 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I am pretty sure Nikon customer service is off shore, so definitely not in New York. When I had sent a few things to Nikon in El Segundo, you could call them direct for a brief period and speak with some one that could actually provide information. I heard that is no longer possible. I have never sent any Canon gear in for repair, so don't know their policies regarding status updates over the phone. If you don't live close enough to a Nikon facility that you can drive too, I would use APS they will generally be less expensive than Nikon on equipment no longer under warranty.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I shipped the D7000 to Nikon yesterday; $23 insured USPS Priority Mail. I also called APS and was actually able to speak with someone who knew what I was talking about. My best hope is that Nikon will say the "pre-release and the release" part was defective and they will replace it free. I doubt that my best hope will be achieved.

I actually blame myself for not really using the D7000 enough after the "repair" to have realized the continuing issue before the warranty expired. But then again, I think a body that cost $1100 should work right out of the box.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:04 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Red Rover wrote:
. But then again, I think a body that cost $1100 should work right out of the box.

I agree. good luck.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

My D7000 arrived in NY this morning. How long does Nikon usually take to reply with an estimate for out of warranty repairs?

I've never sent anything to them before, only the local repair center. I hope Nikon is faster than my last experience with the local authorized center.

Oct 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
irlfan82
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

good luck, i found nikons service is not that good, i have the D7k also and had some back focus issues. i sent it to APS, they had it fixed and back in a week and only cost around 120. They sent an email with what they found wrong and would do to fix it, they even have a six month warrenty on service and they use genuine nikon parts.

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:45 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Sad to read that these repair horror stories keep happening. Impact damage? Nikon should be in a court of law to explain themselves.

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I am waiting to get a repair estimate. In my view, the part is defective and should have been replaced rather than repaired by SPTS. I think the difficulty in getting parts, even for authorized centers, is part of the problem. I tried checking the repair status but the nikonusa web site gives me an error message for anything regarding my account. I did receive a survey from Nikon which I just completed. I made it clear that not having access to a tech rep with camera knowledge was a serious customer sevice flaw. Maybe I wasted my time but I felt better. That's probably Nikon's plan.

I will be optimistic and hope for a reasonable price on the repair. Will post more info as I get it from Nikon.

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I just got off the phone with Nikon Service. They want $252.18 to fix the problem. I am waiting for the e-mailed estimate to ensure that they are replacing, rather than repairing, the bad part.

It cost me $23 to ship it insured (the insurance almost doubles the cost), and if I decline the repair and send it to APS, it will cost at least another $23. I have to decide if it is worth declining and sending to APS and if they can do it for less than $225 with return shipping (Nikon price - cost of shipping to APS), the answer might be yes.

What would you do?

PS It's disappointing that a relatively small repair will cost 1/4 the price of a new body. I guess this is the state of the industry (or maybe just Nikon?), but still disappointing. Nikon also including an estimate of $32 for "cleaning" my brand new, perfectly functioning battery grip (the only reason I included it was to demonstrate that the camera shutter works fine, just the shutter release was the problem).

The customer service rep said that "since it's out of warranty there was nothing that they could do". I corrected her to say that they actually could do something about a part that was pretty surely defective, they just choose not to. The humor was lost on her. Oh well.

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

it is up to you if it is worth $252 to fix. I would get it fixed, so in case you sell it, it will be easier to sell. You sill still end up paying either way - either in selling it not fixed or getting it fixed. (unless you don't want to fix it).

Good luck

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I will absolutely get it fixed or it is no good to me at all. I am leaning toward a Nikon repair over APS since it is already there at Nikon

As long as they really fix it this time and declare it good to go, I could sell it with a clear conscience, or keep it. I am also leaning toward keeping it, but it has to work.

Nov 01, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

OK, I wrote a letter to send to Nikon. I know it is probably futile, but it made me feel better. Does anyone know the name of the top Nikon exec in Melville? It would be nice to address it to the top guy rather than just "Dear Nikon". I couldn't find any info on the web site.

Nov 02, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

I sent an e-mail to Nikon explaining that I thought the part was defective and should be replaced since it was "repaired" the first time and the problem recurred.

Hopefully the D7000 will run fine and I can get back to relying on it. it's laughable that my cheap D50 that has been used a lot still makes good photos and the mighty D7000 has done nothing but let me down.

I will use it plenty to test the work done in whatever warranty period they provide on repairs. 90 days? Any warranty at all?

Here is the response, not surprising. I did get a chuckle out of "We're sorry that your purchase did not coincide with the effective dates of the Warranty.".

Thank you for contacting Nikon. I'll be more than glad to assist you. We're sorry that your purchase did not coincide with the effective dates of the Warranty. Our Warranty has specific starting and ending dates, and to be fair to all of our customers, we must apply the same rules to everyone. While we certainly understand your disappointment, we cannot make any exceptions for Warranty repairs made outside of those dates, nor can we offer some other type of compensation as a substitute for the inconvenience.

If you have any other question or concern, please feel free to contact our Customer Support Center at 1-800-Nikon US (1-800-645-6687). We're open from 9am - 8pm EST, Monday thru Friday. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Reference Number:131104-000168

Best Regards,
Samuel P.
Customer Service Support

Thanks for using Nikon products!

Nikon Inc. (USA) Service & Support
http://support.nikonusa.com

Any use, dissemination, distribution, posting on Internet bulletin boards, disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any information contained herein by or to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this E-mail without reading or saving in any manner.[---001:001643:36837---]

Nov 06, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Well, the D7000 is back from Nikon and the shutter release is working fine. I don't see selling it at this point to maybe get $500. I am more inclined to buy a D7100 and use the D7000 as a second body. The paperwork says the shutter release was "repaired". i wish it said "replaced".

The only thing to do is run it hard and see what happens.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:53 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D7000 Troubles And Customer Service

Good luck.

Nov 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.