New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Manfred W. fEU
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Would any 1Dx owner be able to assist please , I am a new owner of this camera it works fine with all my Canon lenses including the 400mm f5.6L plus a 1.4x extender, focus at f8 is fine the meter works well on all Canon lenses.
The problem I have is the meter will not work with my Leica lenses , on my 5DII I always focused full open in AV
closed as desired never any issue,AF on spot or EV.
I cannot get the 1DX to work at all not even manual focus, reading the value as I set it , I assume there is a setting
I am unable to find it. The 1DX focus sytem seems very comprehensive I think autofocus and meter is linked in some way? I posted a similar question in the alt forum got some info not successful.
Thank you, Manfred

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Hi Manfred,

This is kind of strange. I use a variety of Alt manual focus lenses with Leitax mounts and other adapters on my 1DX. I recall in your first Alt post, you said you're using a Novoflex adapter on the 1DX, now. Does this adapter have a chip? Also, is it possible that the adapter surface is shorting across some of the camera lens connections? In either case, you can check this by covering the camera connectors with a piece of tape, and then checking if the mounted lens behaves in the same way.

As for exposure, you could try a variety of approaches, but Centre-weighted average metering should probably be the best bet (see pg. 104 of the manual). Also, see C.Fn I - 7 which controls the spot meter linkage to AF points, to ensure it's disabled, in case you use Spot metering mode (pg. 210).

My experience shows me that different Alt lenses behave in different ways for metering, both when using the OVF and when using LiveView. Generally, I take a test images and check the histogram. I often use Manual exposure mode with Alt lenses, and just set it to where it works, regardless of what the meter thinks. OTOH, my Alts don't seem to be as far off as your Leica lenses.

Jim

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Manfred W. fEU
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Hi Jim, thank you for taking the time with this, I think I will take your advise the spot meter linking the AF points
could be the issue. I will do some tests in the morning.
I am using a Novoflex there is no chip and no reason to suggest a shorting of contacts in the camera.
My 4 Leitax adapters are too tight they jam in fact , I send a note to David , the reason could be the platform for the chip. Anyway the Novoflex is perfect , do you get focus confirm on large aperture at all?
Thanks again the camera is fine but I really would like to use my old lenses especially the Apo Macro 100.
Manfred

Oct 28, 2013 at 06:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Hi Manfred,

I don't use focus confirm chips with my Alt lenses, and so there's no chance the camera will give me the focus confirmation cue.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:02 AM
Manfred W. fEU
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Hi Jim , thanks for the info this was the problem I disabled the meter link to autofocus , now I can manage
exposure is well within, a little over on back light.
Manfred

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX owners one question please

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.