Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Caineville Badlands in B & W

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

The more I looked at the Mesa or Badlands in Caineville area, the more I got fascinated with the formations.
I hear that in Spring, there will be beautiful wildflowers blooming around these Badlands.
Hope in a few months I could see those flowers.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:47 AM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Those do look like cool formations. With the wildflowers and some great light, would be pretty amazing. Maybe bring down the highlights on the upper left rock formation if you can.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

dgdg wrote:
Those do look like cool formations. With the wildflowers and some great light, would be pretty amazing. Maybe bring down the highlights on the upper left rock formation if you can.

Hello dgdg,

I have started from the original again. Here are colored and black&white versions. I have softened the tone a little bit.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Humm.. not much different. Sigh!
Whatever the reason, I see more detailed in my computer but as soon as I uploaded here, the detailed information gets lost somewhat..

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Nice images.

I don't want to dash your hopes but this is not always a very good location for wildflowers. These formations are Mancos shale. The lack of vegetation is partly due to the soil which is toxic to many plants because of the high selenium content. Also any chance of wildflowers is highly dependent upon getting some rain at the right time in the Spring. Spring might also be later in coming to this area than you suspect. The elevation in the Caineville/Hanksville area is over 4000'.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Camperjim wrote:
Nice images.

I don't want to dash your hopes but this is not always a very good location for wildflowers. These formations are Mancos shale. The lack of vegetation is partly due to the soil which is toxic to many plants because of the high selenium content. Also any chance of wildflowers is highly dependent upon getting some rain at the right time in the Spring. Spring might also be later in coming to this area than you suspect. The elevation in the Caineville/Hanksville area is over 4000'.

Hi Camperjim, Good to hear from you here. I spent this morning going through your photos and meant to contact you for more information because you seem to be very familiar to the area. So.. this mesa is called "Mancos shale"?

Yes, I learned that those pretty wildflowers are not that predictable from year to year. So.. I may have to just depend on some luck. I am thinking of another routing in March, or April. It is very nice area to be. Thinking of rounding Moab, Monument Valley, and Capitol Reef area this time. Any of your suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

The color image certainly appears to have all the detail.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:51 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

This scene was made for color, go with it. Capitol Reef NP has some of the best hiking, so plan to do that on your next visit. Also, the fruit trees in Fruita provide great color.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hi Camperjim, Good to hear from you here. I spent this morning going through your photos and meant to contact you for more information because you seem to be very familiar to the area. So.. this mesa is called "Mancos shale"?

Yes, I learned that those pretty wildflowers are not that predictable from year to year. So.. I may have to just depend on some luck. I am thinking of another routing in March, or April. It is very nice area to be. Thinking of rounding Moab, Monument Valley, and Capitol Reef area this time. Any of your suggestion
...Show more

This area is wonderful in the Spring. March can still be pretty cold in these areas, again because of the elevation. April is great but be forewarned that this area will probably have more visitors than you would think. Salt Lake City school districts stagger spring breaks in April and many families come to the Capitol Reef area. It is the busiest month in the Park. If you camp, the campground will be filled by early afternoon. If you stay in motels, also consider making reservations as there are not many choices. There are lots of choices to visit between Moab, MV and Capitol Reef. If you want to see anazasi ruins there are endless choices including house on fire, fallen roof ruin, hundreds of smaller sites and large sites such as Hovenweep. For landscapes, you can consider some of the lesser visited areas such as Natural Bridges, Goosenecks and Valley of the Gods SP.

Oct 29, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Thanks Camper Jim for the valuable information. I will need to make another round of arrangements for either March or April travel. Those areas you mentioned are very attractive as well. I might as well make a good use of my time and money. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2013 at 02:52 PM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Caineville Badlands in B & W

Kee,
I like both I think in the hot area in the b/w(left side of the formation) all you need is the brush tool in LR paint the hot area and bring it down about 1/2 stop (or to taste). Nice images !
Regards,
Dean

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password