New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Simple family walking on the beach (slowly)

Using the outer AF point and 50% or more OOF

You would think on a $1500+ body, that would be a simple task.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know, 5d3 fixes this, but don't want to plunk down $1000 to upgrade (just yet)

</rant>

greg

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Solution: Buy my D700.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

I am hoping the new A7 focus, though probably slow with a Canon lens + adapter, will at least be accurate.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Um . . . there's this thing called manual focus . . . (Ssssh! Dont' tell anyone!).

Sorry, but it's a matter of knowing your tool. Either center AF or manual focus or hyper-focal f/stop in that situation (and most others).

Imagine you have only one shot -- how are you going to make it pay off? If you do that for each shot you will get a much higher percentage of in-focus.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gheller wrote:

I know, 5d3 fixes this, but don't want to plunk down $1000 to upgrade (just yet)

</rant>

greg

I bought one of the 5D II some years ago and never used it beyond testng. AF outer points have a terrible pattern too. You know the solution, so why complain now?

EBH

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

My 5DII has been relegated to back up duty now, sometimes used in tandem with my 5DIII. I only use the center focusing point and preferably with wide angle lenses stopped down.

The files when they come out right, are simply beautiful. Used wisely it is a good tool imho.

Roger

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

I've used mine to shoot birds in flight, professional bike racing, musicians in low light. There are better AF systems, but it isn't nearly as awful as some make it out to be. It actually works fine.

Sorry you aren't having success with it.

Dan

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gdanmitchell wrote:
I've used mine to shoot birds in flight, professional bike racing, musicians in low light. There are better AF systems, but it isn't nearly as awful as some make it out to be. It actually works fine.

Dan

So, you are using outer focus points? Probably not. Mine does just fine with the center focus.

greg

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Gunzorro wrote:
Um . . . there's this thing called manual focus . . . (Ssssh! Dont' tell anyone!).

Sorry, but it's a matter of knowing your tool. Either center AF or manual focus or hyper-focal f/stop in that situation (and most others).

Imagine you have only one shot -- how are you going to make it pay off? If you do that for each shot you will get a much higher percentage of in-focus.

Perhaps you don't understand. When I shoot families walking on the beach, they are in the off-center third of the frame and I *have* to use the outer-most focus point. Manual won't cut it... center point won't cut it.

For most applications, it does beautifully. I shoot *so* many families walking on the beach, that it is an irritant to say the least.

greg

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

5dII = center focus point and recompose or spring for a 5dIII. You just can't count on the others.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

PCKit wrote:
5dII = center focus point and recompose or spring for a 5dIII. You just can't count on the others.

100% true.

unfortunately, for that specific application, recompose is not an option

greg

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan

I agree, I shot a whole season of youth football with mine - center focus - and was pleasantly surprised at the number of keepers.

Center and recompose. In the old days that's all we had and it worked well.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

By the time I sold my 5D2 and picked up the 5D3, I hated it because of the AF. I had even sent it into Canon via CPS for calibration. I wasted probably $600+ getting lenses calibrated on that body that may or may not have really needed calibration. Terrible ownership experience with the AF ... and I owned it from the first day of its release to the first week of the release of the 5D3.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

galenapass wrote:
I agree, I shot a whole season of youth football with mine - center focus - and was pleasantly surprised at the number of keepers.

Center and recompose. In the old days that's all we had and it worked well.

I used to do that with a split micro prism and got pretty dad burn fast with it and could follow focus as well. Not gonna happen anymore--eyes ain't what they used to be. However, I rarely have problems with my 5D2 AF. No problems nailing walkers, joggers and skaters in AI servo and side points in decent light. No so much after sunset. 5D2 AF is better than all the prior Canon cameras I owned: 650, 10S, Elan, 5 (A2E), 3, Elan 7, 10D, 20D and 40D. I thought my life was on easy street when I first bought it!

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:19 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Having used a 5D2 professionally for some years there is no doubt it's AF is it's weak point, it's a very basic system even by 2008 standards.

But it does work, the centre AF point is extremely accurate, as for not being able to focus on a subject not in the middle I had that problem an awful lot with portrait-oriented headshots, I used manual focus and an angle finder.

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gheller wrote:

</rant>

greg

Yep the 5D3 is great , but I'm pretty sure the 6D has sorted the outer focus points as well .

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gheller wrote:
Perhaps you don't understand. When I shoot families walking on the beach, they are in the off-center third of the frame and I *have* to use the outer-most focus point. Manual won't cut it... center point won't cut it.

For most applications, it does beautifully. I shoot *so* many families walking on the beach, that it is an irritant to say the least.

greg

So you are saying that before the 5D3 no pictures of people, off-centre, walking on the beach ever existed Beats me, I think I might have seen one or two.

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:36 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Yep the 5D3 is great , but I'm pretty sure the 6D has sorted the outer focus points as well .

Yes they have. The 6D is a better camera than the 5D2 in more or less every way

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

I only used the centre AF point or manual focus on my 5DII. I'm using my 6D more or less the same way, maybe I should expand my practise.

Oct 28, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SO *)&%( sick of the 5d2 AF

gheller wrote:

</rant>
greg

I had the same frustrations. I use off center focus points on a regular basis.

Edited on Oct 28, 2013 at 07:16 AM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.