New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

I don't know where else to ask this question and thought you guys might help.

I've got a very lightly used 28 1.4 AF in mint condition, except there is a minor scratch on the back element which has never affected any photo I've ever taken. I'm planning on selling the lens to fund some other equipment purchases and am wondering if I should sell the lens as is or, since it's such a high priced lens, have the back element replaced and then sell it as totally mint.

Second question, if you think it makes more sense to have the back element replaced before I sell it, should I send it to Nikon service or is there someplace else that you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:59 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Front element scratches are easier to live with. Rear element mars aren't. It is a rare and desirable lens for collectors but of late, videographers in particular. Its got a rendering that the new 28/1.8 just doesn't. I'd replace the element and sell it as long as you can; if I were to wager a speculative guess, either Nikon or Zeiss (Otus) will re-do a high-performing 28/1.4 at some point in the not-to-distant future.

Edited on Oct 27, 2013 at 07:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Are parts even available anymore? If so, get it fixed soon.

EBH

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Jeff Kott wrote:
should I send it to Nikon service or is there someplace else that you would recommend.

Consider:
"Positive experiences" going through Nikon's repair service can do happen. But they come as a mild surprise on here. It's kind of like seeing a beautiful sunset or a double rainbow- maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't.
Google "BBB, Nikon repair rating".

Everyone seems to have good experiences with APS in Chicago. My 2 experiences with them have been great.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:22 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Jeff Kott wrote:
I don't know where else to ask this question and thought you guys might help.

I've got a very lightly used 28 1.4 AF in mint condition, except there is a minor scratch on the back element which has never affected any photo I've ever taken. I'm planning on selling the lens to fund some other equipment purchases and am wondering if I should sell the lens as is or, since it's such a high priced lens, have the back element replaced and then sell it as totally mint.

Second question, if you think it makes more sense to have
...Show more

Jeff, I purchased a used copy of the lens this past summer at a relatively lower price. But the lens wasn't in a great shape and there were few problems about auto focusing accuracy so I sent the lens for service at the Authorized Photo Service in Illinois (http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com). They replayed almost the entire lens assemble, with the exception of the front element. The repair bill was $1200 but the lens came back as almost a new one! I had to wait for almost two months for them to locate the part from Japan. I was further told that Nikon will not replace just the rear element since the individual parts are very few and difficult to find even in Japan. The only possible way to get the rear element replaced is to have the entire lens assembly replay. Even though it's an extremely expensive repair, I am glad that I did it. It's just a unique lens with very special optical characters. I will keep the lens as long as I use Nikon system.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll take the advice to have it fixed before I sell it and I'll call Authorized Photo Service and see what they say. Are there any other good places for repair of Nikon glass?

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Just thought I'd follow up. I spoke to APS and they have the back element in stock as part of an entire rear assembly - cost to repair $850 - ouch.

I'm really not sure what to do. The scratch is tiny and doesn't affect image quality, but I know buyers always pay up for "mint."

If it were you, would you have it fixed before sale or just sell "as is."

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

It's a gamble. It still fetches $3k or thereabouts on eBay. If someone will give you $2500, then I'd say no. If the best offer you think you'll get is $2k, then yes.

Those rear assemblies are probably rare, after all they made only 7,333 copies of the lens in the 12 years they were in production. How many still survive intact?

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

If a 28 1.4 is mint in all respects except a slight scratch on the rear element which doesn't show up in images, how much of a hit do you think I'd be taking on sale vs. one with the rear element replaced? More than $850?

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

What I would do is sell it to Adorama as-is and let them do the evaluation. Sure you will not get a good return for it if you sell to a store but you won't get it anyway even if you sell to private party because of the scratch. Pick your poison. Sell to Adorama and hopefully they give you an acceptable appraisal, or sell to a private party and deal with the moaning, groaning, and lowballing due to the scratch. Personally? I would go with Adorama and avoid the hassle. I just sold a lens to them and I'm very happy with how it went.

Edited on Oct 28, 2013 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:19 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

DontShoot wrote:
What I would do is sell it to Adorama as-is and let them do the evaluation. Sure you will not get a good return for it if you sell to a store but you won't get it anyway even if you sell to private party because of the scratch. Pick your poison. Sell to Adorama and hopefully they give you an acceptable appraisal, or sell to a private party and deal with the moaning, groaning, and lowballing due to the scratch. Personally? I would go with Adorama and avoid the hassle. I just sold a lens to them and I'm
...Show more

Good thought. Is Adorama better to deal with than KEH in your opinion?

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Jeff Kott wrote:
Good thought. Is Adorama better to deal with than KEH in your opinion?

I haven't sold to KEH so I can't evaluate their service. But I can fully vouch for Adorama, and if something doesn't feel right, you can always email Helen and she will make it right. Give them a try, and if you're not satisfied with their offer, they will ship it back to you. The whole process takes about 2 weeks, and shipping both ways are free.

Personally, I don't recommend eBay with items like this, especially the ones with flaw. People who are in the market for this type of lens tend to be very picky and are usually quick to file a claim. It can easily turn into a huge mess. I've experienced it way too many times.

You can try to list it here on the B&S forum and show detailed images of the flaw, and make the buyer aware of what they're getting, but it could still be tough to sell. That's why I recommended (Adorama), it will be smooth and painless, albeit lower than the market value. Good luck with your decision.

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

DontShoot wrote:
I haven't sold to KEH so I can't evaluate their service. But I can fully vouch for Adorama, and if something doesn't feel right, you can always email Helen and she will make it right. Give them a try, and if you're not satisfied with their offer, they will ship it back to you. The whole process takes about 2 weeks, and shipping both ways are free.

Personally, I don't recommend eBay with items like this, especially the ones with flaw. People who are in the market for this type of lens tend to be very picky and are usually quick
...Show more

Thanks for your advice. After your comments, my inclination is to list it on FM for sale at a steep discount to mint price (say $1500 vs. $2500 mint) and disclose to the buyer that they can have APS make it like new for $850 if they want. If nobody is interested, then send it to Adorama.

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:43 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 28 1.4 AF repair/sale question

Jeff Kott wrote:
Thanks for your advice. After your comments, my inclination is to list it on FM for sale at a steep discount to mint price (say $1500 vs. $2500 mint) and disclose to the buyer that they can have APS make it like new for $850 if they want. If nobody is interested, then send it to Adorama.

But….if you spend $850 on the repair and get $1000 premium on the resale, that's a 17.6% return.

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.