Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

Eric Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

All,

Yesterday I shot Vanderbilt @ Texas A&M in some of the brightest conditions I can remember. It was (literally) high-noon type light that created havoc for both cameras. We're talking 50% (possibly more) of frames that were not just not sharp but complete crap. Because of the fans in both end zones (and they do make better pictures sitting or kneeling down) we are required to shoot low. Now I'm dealing with the dreaded "waves" coming up off the grass as well. I've been googling the better part of the day and have had some back-and-forth with Russ Isabella via PM this morning and we can't figure it out. Does anyone here have any idea what to do the next time I encounter these conditions? Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and thank you Russ for taking the time to offer your two cents.

Best,

Eric

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

Eric,
I had the same issue with my 7D and while it does not focus to the level of the 1D series, here is what I did.

I did a total, hard reset of the camera. Took out the lithium memory battery and the camera battery and let it sit overnight. Replaced memory battery with a brand new battery. Reset the camera to default and then reset up my preferences. That seemed to clear up most of my focusing issues. I was shooting with a Sigma 120-300 and I added a nice UV filter to it and that seemed to help also.

Might want to check the Canon board for better help since many here do not use Canon.

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

This is "Harsh Light" ... Heat waves ... motor's running ...

Old 5Dc + Canon 50 f/1.4 ... manual exposure mode ... center focal point ...

... f/4 ... ISO 100 ... 1/320

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:44 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

I had that same problem one time with a borrowed from CPS 500 f4. I was shooting on turf on a hot August day game. Loads of heat waves and almost complete crap with the 500. The only thing I could do was shoot with the 70-200. I never did find a better solution and the 500 went back to Canon. I've never had that problem with my 300.

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:21 AM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Harsh lighting AF focusing issues (Canon Mark IV)

Eric - I come across these conditions every spring/summer shooting lacrosse as well as football in the fall. When you are shooting at peak light/heat conditions, there's not much you can do but elevate the camera or get closer to the action. The more "waves" between you and the subject, the worse the impact on the image as well as the autofocusing of the camera. I found that by standing up instead on my knees helps and avoiding the down the field action and focusing on the action as close as possible helps. You are in a tough position in that you have to stay low. I wish there was a magic answer but I haven't found one...

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password