Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking for a photographer

justshootmenow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a photographer

I'm getting married and looking for a photographer here on FM. Here are the details:

Daytime wedding on August 10, 2014 in Bergen County, NJ.
Our BUDGET is $2000 - $3000.
We would prefer a local photographer.
We would love to tell you that we prefer photo-journalistic to editorial but honestly aren't sure what the difference is. We can say that we do NOT like traditional portraits.

Please contact me through PM with any inquiries or further necessary details. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a photographer

Photojournalistic weddings is more like you hire a photographer and they basically become something like your new silent best friend where they're ever present and just photographing whatever happens to occur with little input or suggestion.

Editorial style is kinda like the stuff you see in fashion magazines where the photographer is kind of writing the story of the day. "Hey let's get you two walking across this bridge." "Hey, can you stand by this window in the light when mom puts the necklace on you." and gets shots like that. That to the viewer seem kinda "natural" but in fact the scene was manipulated to some degree. A photojournalistic style photographer wouldn't tell you to do that but would probably sprint like mad if he noticed it was going to happen so he could get that shot. Maye he gets it, maybe he doesn't.

The amount of creativity that photographers are able to put into portraits is very much dependent on the locations you're at or willing to travel to and how much time is available for the photographer to set up lighting and/or brainstorm. If you plan your wedding day extremely tight it makes it a bit more difficult to get stunning portraits. I'm not going to say impossible because there's always one guy who says "well I can do it in 12 seconds flat in the light of the moon in a home depot parking lot." But I don't think anyone is going to argue, better locations and ample time makes for better portraits. And if there isn't ample time or a beautiful locale, they usually go for the safe shot, the traditional portrait.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a photographer

swoop wrote:
Photojournalistic weddings is more like you hire a photographer and they basically become something like your new silent best friend where they're ever present and just photographing whatever happens to occur with little input or suggestion.

Editorial style is kinda like the stuff you see in fashion magazines where the photographer is kind of writing the story of the day. "Hey let's get you two walking across this bridge." "Hey, can you stand by this window in the light when mom puts the necklace on you." and gets shots like that. That to the viewer seem kinda "natural" but in fact
...Show more

Great clarification... me thinks that if more clients knew these differences, there would be both more satisfied clients and higher-paid photographers.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a photographer

Just want to add to what's already been said - I HATE using the word "photojournalism" with anything wedding photography related. I'm not a photojournalist. I don't have to abide by those rules. I'm not out there risking my life day in and day out to get the story. I'm a wedding photographer that likes to shoot in a documentary style.

Regardless if you want to call yourselves wedding photojournalists or wedding documentarians, what that DOESN'T mean is that you just stand back and snap photos of what's happening that day. You still have to be considerate of composition and angles and lighting and action...

Anyone with a camera can stand in the corner and take photos. What you want is someone like me that will shoot while observing and observe while shooting... waiting, looking for the best angle and the right moments, creating thoughtful compositions, and looking for ways to surprise my clients with something unexpected.

Check me out: www.inkuphoto.com

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:39 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a photographer

I would want any professional wedding photographer to consider lighting and to look for the best angle and create thoughtful compositions, regardless of whether you call them a wedding photojournalist or wedding documentarian?

Agree that you can't just stand back and snap photos.

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a photographer

scottam10 wrote:
I would want any professional wedding photographer to consider lighting and to look for the best angle and create thoughtful compositions, regardless of whether you call them a wedding photojournalist or wedding documentarian?

Agree that you can't just stand back and snap photos.

I agree. You'd be surprised at how many people throw around that PJ term and "natural light" among other buzzwords.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:24 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a photographer

yeah I love the natural light shooter term especially when they use it arrogantly.. Natural light shooter...code for I have no idea how OCF works lol

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:51 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a photographer

Or there are those who know how to use both, but love the soft light that natural light gives the subject and truly sets the mood of the scene. Believe me, I love flash and it can make for great photos, but natural light truly creates an intimacy with the photos that can truly bring the viewer into the story that is unfolding the photographs they are viewing. Being able to do both and knowing when either will make the best photo is a testament for true photography.

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:01 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a photographer

Your chances of landing a decent photographer in the NYC area will be greatly improved if you move your budget north the $3K threshold.

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:17 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a photographer

I am a natural light wedding photojournalist.....until I need to use flash.

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:46 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a photographer

maxwell1295 wrote:
I am a natural light wedding photojournalist.....until I need to use flash.

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/

Trust maxwell and any other good photographer: you'll want flash used indoors. Just gives everything more pop. Oh, and the rim lights and all that other good stuff.

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:52 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a photographer

gnjphotography wrote:
there are those who know how to use both, but love the soft light that natural light gives the subject and truly sets the mood of the scene

+1

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a photographer

http://bit.ly/WeddingsbyGE

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:40 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a photographer

Or there are those who know how to use both, but love the soft light that natural light gives the subject and truly sets the mood of the scene.
100 percent agree. Natural light is great...sometimes. And when it sucks you gotta fix it. Its the snobby nat light only photogs that my snarky comment was for but I share your sentiment typically.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:42 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a photographer

Count me in at $3k. I'm not that far from NJ. I shot a wedding there last year and have another one next year. Plus my youngest daughter lives in NYC so I could visit her. Oh, and I'm more the "editorial" photographer but I can always leave all my lighting gear at home and be a pure PJ.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.