Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone hate d4 color?

TRReichman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone hate d4 color?

I realize that someone might want to move this to the Nikon forum but I'm wondering if any of you who use the d4 in the same type of scenarios that I do have experienced an issue with white balance/realistic color on the D4. I'm finding that basically every shot indoors with the D4 looks like it is in mixed lighting. In an incandescent scenario where there is a ton of amber light all the whites show blue making correction nearly impossible without a ton of masking (before anyone asks there is no blue light or mixed light in the shot). Shots with the d3 or d3s in the exact same setup show no blue and correct normally as you would expect. Outdoor/natural light seems to work reasonably well but indoors (which is 90% of what I shoot) is horrible and makes correcting amongst different cameras nearly impossible.

So assuming that I'm not an idiot (big stretch) has anyone else experienced strange color with the d4 and figured out how to fix it? Nikon d3s files of the exact same setup look perfect - is there any way to automagically match them up in Lightroom?

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 02:24 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone hate d4 color?

Can't you just set a custom white balance in camera on the d4?

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:05 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone hate d4 color?

I never thought it was as bad as you make out Todd.

I seen you mention this before.

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone hate d4 color?

Here is an interesting comparison by two very reputable photographers. Similar issues and some surprises. AF speed being one.

http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4-compare-wedding-photographers/

The video is worth watching.

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:11 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone hate d4 color?

anthonyket wrote:
Can't you just set a custom white balance in camera on the d4?

In theory, but not really practical for many situations that we find ourselves in. Even if you set it "correctly" it still isn't reaching true color.

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:25 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone hate d4 color?

BKphotography wrote:
I never thought it was as bad as you make out Todd.

I seen you mention this before.

We're shooting with 4 different cameras at the moment and it is a nightmare in post. We need to standardize on 4 of the same bodies but there isn't a clear winner for the "best" choice (all of them have different advantages and disadvantages). We're trying to figure out if the D4 can be fixed or if it is more trouble than it is worth.

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:27 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone hate d4 color?

I've been happy with my D4 and it's color. There is definitely a color difference between the D3s (I also have one of those and regularly shoot with it too) and the D4. So I got the Color Checker PassPort target and software and created a dual illuminate profile for each camera. This brought the color balance of the two cameras to near perfect match between them.

Having said that, I don't think this is the solution to your problem. What you describe sounds like a real issue with the camera. I'd send it in with some samples on a CD and have it checked out.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:00 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone hate d4 color?

Are you bouncing flash when this happens?

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:40 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone hate d4 color?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Are you bouncing flash when this happens?

Doesn't matter. Happens with and without flash. I'm confident that it is all sensor and not reacting to the light in the scene.

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone hate d4 color?

I thought you were in love with the d600?

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:43 PM
danielutzu
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone hate d4 color?

I for one hate the D4 color but love everything else about it. In terms of color, the D3s was sooo much better, at least to my eye and according to my preferences. The D4 has the saturation dampened down in yellows and reds. I bought the "Huelight CF V15 standard" camera calibration profile for lightroom and it gives me the colors I like in my D4 images. I forget where I got it from, but google it up and I'm sure you'll find it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:24 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone hate d4 color?

Send them all back to Nikon and ask them to custom align all bodies to the same colour profile whitebalance.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:28 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone hate d4 color?

SloPhoto wrote:
I thought you were in love with the d600?

I still think the d600 is a ridiculous value (especially considering the price dropped even further since the 610 was announced). I also think that the sensor in the d600 is easily better than that in the d4. I think it is a little muddy in incandescent/indoor light which is basically all I shoot in which is disappointing but it can be corrected. The only place it drops is the autofocus. I'm going back and forth between the d600 and d3s. I prefer the AF spread and responsiveness of the d3s but I think the AF is more sensitive and accurate with the d600, just a little less responsive camera overall and the AF points are clustered in the center which sort of sucks (but you can get them for $1300-1400 refurbished so you have to give up something).

Still a great camera, and I might settle on it but my wife won't use it and we have to find something compatible so that our files aren't radically different in post.

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:07 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone hate d4 color?

TRReichman wrote:
We're shooting with 4 different cameras at the moment and it is a nightmare in post. We need to standardize on 4 of the same bodies but there isn't a clear winner for the "best" choice (all of them have different advantages and disadvantages). We're trying to figure out if the D4 can be fixed or if it is more trouble than it is worth.

- trr

Four different models? Why is that? Is it a performace/form factor thing or older/newer progression kinda thing?

I find there is a distinct difference from lens to lens and not just bodies. I shoot all Nikon lenses now.

Using two Nikon D700's at the moment but I want to replace one with a D610... hopefully I can achieve a consistent look between the two different models.

The D4 was a fantastic camera in many regards but I didn't like the weight and size.

I think I may remember Jeff Mosier having a D4 and sending it back pretty quick.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:16 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone hate d4 color?

danielutzu wrote:
I for one hate the D4 color but love everything else about it. In terms of color, the D3s was sooo much better, at least to my eye and according to my preferences. The D4 has the saturation dampened down in yellows and reds. I bought the "Huelight CF V15 standard" camera calibration profile for lightroom and it gives me the colors I like in my D4 images. I forget where I got it from, but google it up and I'm sure you'll find it.

Got any samples of the Huelight profile and how it corrects?

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:18 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone hate d4 color?

BKphotography wrote:
Four different models? Why is that? Is it a performace/form factor thing or older/newer progression kinda thing?

I find there is a distinct difference from lens to lens and not just bodies. I shoot all Nikon lenses now.

Using two Nikon D700's at the moment but I want to replace one with a D610... hopefully I can achieve a consistent look between the two different models.

The D4 was a fantastic camera in many regards but I didn't like the weight and size.

I think I may remember Jeff Mosier having a D4 and sending it back pretty quick.

I know Jeff wasn't impressed, but he also essentially moved to Leica so you can't trust anything he says....

We started with d3 bodies which our associate uses now. She's third shooting with us while we train her so we have those photos to go through. Then we added d3s bodies because we really needed the ISO performance for a rooftop wedding last winter. I added a d600 because I needed something with a quiet mode for shooting under the chuppah. Then we added a D4 because we thought we were having focus issues with the d3s bodies (turns out it was a lens issue). So we have 4 different bodies in rotation and we really need to standardize to speed up post production since we don't outsouce. Unfortunately none of these options is the obvious choice (a la the 5d3) so we're evaluating and trying to make something work for all our needs.

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:22 PM
cas5
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone hate d4 color?

That sounds like the perfect scenario for xrite's colorchecker passport.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:33 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone hate d4 color?

Dumb question - if you have to build your own profiles I'm sort of surprised I can't just buy the profile?

- trr

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:34 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone hate d4 color?

TRReichman wrote:
Dumb question - if you have to build your own profiles I'm sort of surprised I can't just buy the profile?

- trr

You could try out the profile sets from VSCO or some such. Note I am saying the profile only and not the rest of the stuff. They muddy the blacks a bit and have tweaked contrast, but not too much of the "effect" is in the profile.

The profiles do a fair job of equalizing between bodies. (not perfect)

If you want a few sample files churned through with just a profile applied, let me know.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:59 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone hate d4 color?

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

Just to clarify, often sensors on different models/brands have a different CFA (Color Filter Array) which determines how cameras interpret the color.

You could profile any two camera models to be darn near identical under fixed conditions, but once you change the light, those profiles may no longer match.

Oct 27, 2013 at 09:08 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.