Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Badwater Basin

Socalastro
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Badwater Basin

I managed to sneak out of town last week for a couple of days in Death Valley. I spend the first afternoon at the Racetrack Playa, and the following day around Furnace Creek and surrounding area.

Here is a shot from Badwater Basin. I'm planning another outing there with my wife later next month as she has never seen DV so it gives me another chance to get out there :-)

Cheers,
Leon

Badwater Basin - Samyang 14mm @ f/11 1/800s

Canon EOS 6D    0mm    f/0.0    640 ISO  

Original Distorted version

Edited on Oct 28, 2013 at 02:25 AM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Badwater Basin

Very colorful texture of the Badwater basin here. It looks like the surface has been getting rougher and rougher.
I am wondering if the curved horizon is the way it is or caused by the Samyang lens of 14mm. It is somewhat disturbing and head spinning. Love the color!

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Socalastro
• •
p.1 #3 · Badwater Basin

Thanks Kee,

The area was rather rough looking and more brown than usual - maybe due to recent rains perhaps??

I noticed the horizon looking "wavy". I wasn't sure it was from the ground being similar color to the mountains/hills and blending each other. The lens will have distortions but I didn't think it would be so funky and circus-mirror like :-)

Unfortunately I did't shoot the area with another lens so I don't have anything to compare them too.

Here's another shot from Crankshaft Crossing

Cheers,
Leon

Socalastro 2013

Crankshaft Crossing - Death Valley CA

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Badwater Basin

The lens renders very nice color though. Since I do have the same lens I am more than curious about the lens distortion. Anyway.. the Crankshaft Crossing shot is very nice and unique. Do you have shots from the Racetrack? Love to see them. Thanks, Leon.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:18 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #5 · Badwater Basin

Leon,

nice shot of badwater. The curvy horizon is due to the samyang 14. It is infamous for the moustache distortion. Just google that and you'll see tons of images. You can fix it software. I think the easiest one is PTlens gui. I've never used, I just correct as best I can in PS.

Jason

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:45 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Badwater Basin

roguecoolman wrote:
Leon,

nice shot of badwater. The curvy horizon is due to the samyang 14. It is infamous for the moustache distortion. Just google that and you'll see tons of images. You can fix it software. I think the easiest one is PTlens gui. I've never used, I just correct as best I can in PS.

Jason

Ditto.. There is also a Photoshop tool plug-in too. I have the Samyang & use it regularly.
Worth the effort for the image results

Dan

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Badwater Basin

that distortion from the samy 14 is insane! yikes!

cool shot though

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #8 · Badwater Basin

Don't fear the distortion Tyler! The samyang 14 is a killer lens and the distortion is fixable. For price to performance level, that lens is awesome.

Jason

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Badwater Basin

roguecoolman wrote:
Don't fear the distortion Tyler! The samyang 14 is a killer lens and the distortion is fixable. For price to performance level, that lens is awesome.

Jason

i know, i was the proud owner of one for about 2 days until i sent it back
its far too distorty to do simple clean minimalistic images.

Oct 28, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Socalastro
• •
p.1 #10 · Badwater Basin

Thanks for all the input guys regarding the mustache distortion on this lens. I download PTLens plugin for Aperture and corrected the image. I edited the original post with the corrected image and left the original distorted version for comparison.

Once again, thank you all for the input.

Cheers,
Leon

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:27 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Badwater Basin

Hey Leon,

What a cool scene you captured here. That's great that you were able to get away to DV.

As for the 14mm, it can have some visible distortion, though it depends on the scene. Often the upper edge of the frame is filled with sky and you won't notice that distortion there. Nice work on correcting it.

Jim

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:31 AM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #12 · Badwater Basin

Nice shots. The salt flats at Badwater continue to evolve. That place is always changing.

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:15 AM
Socalastro
• •
p.1 #13 · Badwater Basin

Thanks Jim. Correcting the 14mm distortion was easy with PTLens (I just bought it) and looks like I'll be keeping the lens :-)

Thanks Kurt, indeed the place is always changing; keeps me going back.

WRT the playa itself (and as Kurt mentioned in a PM), there was some damage done by a knucklehead or two in the form of what appears to be motorcycle and dually truck tire tracks on it.

-Leon

Socalastro 2013

motorcycle (??) tire tracks on the playa

Socalastro 2013

More tracks on the playa :-(

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:04 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #14 · Badwater Basin

^Some people, man. I tell ya.

Great shots!

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:08 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #15 · Badwater Basin

I am saddened by the shots of the Playa, not because they are not good but because some idiots did those tracks!

Why can't ppl leave stuff alone!

Jason

Oct 28, 2013 at 05:50 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password