New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Which one?

cmcleod
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which one?

I was asked to take a portrait of Ron as a retirement gift. Ron has worked as a bus mechanic for the last 38 years. The idea was to capture an environmental portrait that dignifies him and his commitment to his profession. One of these images will be printed, matted, framed and presented to him on his last day. I could use your help deciding which of these to follow thru with. Thanks

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which one?

I think your instinct in listing no. 1 as such speaks volumes as it is the winner of the series for me. I would reduce the highlights or whites a little here but i still like it very much as is. Great series.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which one?

I think it's a tie between 1 and 3 in my opinion. But i prefer #1 a little more, maybe for the sheer" grandeur" of the portrait. Very nice work, i'd kill to have any such good shots of my dad when he was working in his environment.

Bravo well done!

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which one?

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which one?

The facial expression in #4 makes it my pick. I see little "joy" in his expression in #1 & #3.

I ruled out #2 only because I favour him being larger in the frame. #2 is a fine shot.

But if the "environmental" theme is your priority, my pick doesn't work as well as the others.

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:26 PM
cmcleod
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which one?

Thanks for the feedback. Photographically Im drawn to the first image, I love the drama. However, Im trying to imagine what he will want to hang on his wall. Its a tough call.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:13 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which one?

I'm a #3 guy.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:48 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which one?

How about a diptych?

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:49 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which one?

(3) for sure. (1) says nothing about what he does (and is overexposed a bit)

nice!

Aloha

greg

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which one?

My opinion is 4 captures the subject best. Expression is joyous like he enjoyed his work. Looks like he is talking to his fellow mechanics, drivers or other staff. He is holding a tool. And behind him is that giant tool case. It talks of tools and a lifetime trade. He doesn't need to have a lot of bus in the frame. just enough so that visitors to the home know what it is. And he can tell a story of all those tools. That's a big tool box. His name and UTA is clear and readable. He is relaxed. Natural hands. He looks satisfied with his life. Crop just a big tighter on the right, almost to the tool box. The elements that distract from the subject are minimized. Man, strong hands, tool, big tool box, bus. The essence. And he looks like a handsome man as well in 4. Younger. And that's important. The lighting on his face is best of the lot. The spot of light on the toolbox frames his head nicely. His eyes have a little twinkle. That one is a gift. The other's speak more of what he did then who he is.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:19 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which one?

3 approachable

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:30 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which one?

I much prefer the composition of the first above all others, but his expression in 4 seems most likely for him to pick.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:35 PM
sculpin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which one?

I like #3. It shows his work and presents him well within the frame. I like his look and expression in this image.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:05 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which one?

These are all strong! From a photographer's point of view, I like 1 and 2.

If I were Ron, I'd want a more "approachable" affable image. # 4 is the winner for a wall hanger in his home.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:22 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which one?

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which one?

SargentRay wrote:
I think it's a tie between 1 and 3 in my opinion. But i prefer #1 a little more, maybe for the sheer" grandeur" of the portrait. Very nice work, i'd kill to have any such good shots of my dad when he was working in his environment.

Bravo well done!

Agree - but I think #1 edges 3 out also

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which one?

For me, number 4 is the clear winner for all the reasons Ravitej mentions.

Oct 28, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Jurgen de Boer

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which one?

number 1!

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Rytr
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which one?

A little touch up as has been indicated and #1 for me. I think the addition of the work boots with inclusion of his strong hands did it!

Oct 28, 2013 at 07:38 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which one?

I like #4 best. #1 has an in-between expression. In #3 his finger makes it look like he's pointing to a watch that isn't there. He is also slumped a little.

That will be a great tribute to a man who found dignity in honest work.

Oct 28, 2013 at 09:22 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.