Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

sRGB or Adobe RGB?

wilt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

The lowest common denominator, when you use most (almost all) commercial photographic printers, is sRGB. A bit of a waste to shoot RAW, view with a wide gamut monitor, then output an aRGB file only to have the printing service convert aRGB to sRGB before printing it!

Oct 29, 2013 at 04:32 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

wilt wrote:
The lowest common denominator, when you use most (almost all) commercial photographic printers, is sRGB. A bit of a waste to shoot RAW, view with a wide gamut monitor, then output an aRGB file only to have the printing service convert aRGB to sRGB before printing it!

You are right in that there are and always will be bottlenecks in any component based system, but in this case the monitor gamut is often the culprit.

I donít know if have seen a photo printer in recent years that didnít exceed sRGB in some areas and often by a fair margin. Even lowly all-in-ones with only CYMK can do this. That isnít to say that there arenít areas of sRGB outside many printer gamuts.

Here is a comparison of the sRGB gamut to the gamut of an Epson 3880 and a typical baryta paper:

AdobeRGB has better but still not complete coverage of the printerís gamut.

Brian A

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

I ordered a Dell U2713H early last week, and it arrived today.

They had a deal at $750 and free shipping.

I also ordered an X-rite i1DisplayPro but it hasn't arrived yet.

The Dell software doesn't work on XP on the machine I currently have it connected to, while the i1DisplayPro does.

The X-Rite will definitely be necessary - the monitor is very bright.

The whole point for me is to make sure my monitor and printer output matches as precisely as possible, and I think regardless of whatever factory calibration has been done - changing the brightness or contrast on the monitor manually without calibrating is inviting problems.

But - that is exactly what I have to do until the X-rite arrives.

So I'm going to look around online for a reference photo, then I'll print it, and adjust the monitor to match what I see in my hand.

Then when the i1DisplayPro shows up, I can do it right.

It's a really nice monitor. Wayyyy too bright out of the box, but super sharp, clear, and no noticeable glare or reflections.

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:47 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

the NEC PA271W is being dumped off (for 272's imminent arrival) by some dealers for not much more than $750 now.

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hendrik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

This is a link I normally post when people ask: "what is the best colour space?"

It's an article from 2005 (and reposted in 2013), but stil valid and contains valuable information.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/85/January%202005%20-%20ProPhoto%20or%20ConPhoto

For your interest: I use 90% sRGB; 9% Adobe RGB and 1% ProPhotoRGB as my working color space.

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:55 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

Hendrik wrote:
This is a link I normally post when people ask: "what is the best colour space?"

It's an article from 2005 (and reposted in 2013), but stil valid and contains valuable information.

http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/85/January%202005%20-%20ProPhoto%20or%20ConPhoto

For your interest: I use 90% sRGB; 9% Adobe RGB and 1% ProPhotoRGB as my working color space.

I think he overplays the ProPhotoRGB issues and downplays the sRGB issues a bit too much myself.
Granted there is no need to use the wider spaces for images without any saturated colors or bright colors with some saturation in them but the wide spaces are hardly something to be fearful of. And the whole banding thing is a touch overblown in that a simple straight conversion of even ProphotoRGB to an 8bit JPG generally won't show much loss of tone (although again if you don't need to you may as well not) and for editing you are gonna run into banding and horrible issues even if you stick with sRGB if you edit in 8 bit so nobody should be even thinking of editing in 8bits to begin with.

I'd guess that more than 50% of my nature shots don't even fit in AdobeRGB never mind sRGB (although in some cases it is only very small parts of the image of modest clipping and not that big of a deal, but about 15% it is a pretty huge deal I'd say).

And saying stuff like "Even the best monitors struggle to display 98% of Adobe RGB" is pretty misleading, they don't struggle to do that they simply do that (or even 99%) and not only that the only part they miss are some extreme neon type greens AND they also mostly display many colors that AdobeRGB can't even dream of being able to show, so yeah they fall a 'terrible' 1-2% short of AdobeRGB but AdobeRGB also happens to fall a lot more than 1-2% short of what most wide gamut monitors can display and now we are talking very common in nature deep purples and intense sunset red-oranges and so on too.

Nov 08, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Hendrik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?

@skibum5

I mostly agree with you, but I think it's a good article that all people should read who believe larger is better or struggle with those things.

I shoot portraiture 90% of the time. When I standard used ProPhoto RGB (with 16-bit channels) as my working color space in the past, I frequently noticed banding artifacts in the skin tones. As you know, skin tones contain lots of small delicate transitions and when I used ProPhoto RGB, the distant between two color values became too large and I lost those small but significant delicacies.

So for skin or other delicate colors, ProPhoto RGB might not be the best choice. I recommend people who ask me to choose the smallest color space you expect you need, but only to those people who understand a bit what they are doing. For people who donít understand a thing about color management, I simply recommend sRGB.

Nov 11, 2013 at 09:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password