Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

sRGB or Adobe RGB?
  
 
Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


I'm buying a new monitor (if I can just make a choice), but was wondering for photography which is best to use, sRGB or the Adobe one? Noob question I know, but I never paid attention before, and I'm sure some of my photos have paid the price!

Thanks!



Oct 27, 2013 at 02:01 AM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Jeff Higgins wrote:
I'm buying a new monitor (if I can just make a choice), but was wondering for photography which is best to use, sRGB or the Adobe one? Noob question I know, but I never paid attention before, and I'm sure some of my photos have paid the price!


Personally, I always shoot raw, work in Profoto RGB, both my NEC monitors run native (98% of AdobeRGB), and most of my non-commercial work ends up printed on Epson pigment ink printers.

It depends on where your images end up, what color space you are editing in, whether you shoot raw, what sort of color management workflow you have, etc.

With a monitor that is capable of say 98% of the AdobeRGB space, you can always run it in a smaller space like sRGBm but there really isn't much point in a wide gamut monitor running in a small space.

Brian A



Oct 27, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


I'm looking at getting a really nice, 27-30" monitor. I do shoot raw, and any pictures end up being printed by a professional printer since I don't have anything close.

So, it sounds like AdobeRGB is the way to go then?



Oct 27, 2013 at 02:34 AM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Jeff Higgins wrote:
I'm looking at getting a really nice, 27-30" monitor. I do shoot raw, and any pictures end up being printed by a professional printer since I don't have anything close.

So, it sounds like AdobeRGB is the way to go then?


Does your printer take anything but sRGB?

Brian A



Oct 27, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


hugowolf wrote:
Does your printer take anything but sRGB?

Brian A


Very good question. I don't have one set place I use, so I would definitely need to find one that matched colorspaces. I hadn't thought of that. I'm still working on convincing myself I don't need a 30" Dell U3014 when I'm just an amateur!



Oct 27, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Even as amateur I have 95% aRGB display. So far one of best investments I made..

Only sad thing is that most people wont ever see my pics as I do.



Oct 27, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Mescalamba wrote:
Even as amateur I have 95% aRGB display. So far one of best investments I made..

Only sad thing is that most people wont ever see my pics as I do.


Me too. Most of mine are for my benefit only...So it makes it stupid to drop $1K on a monitor. I don't even think the damn thing would fit on my desk. Which just means I need a bigger desk



Oct 27, 2013 at 04:05 AM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Jeff Higgins wrote:
Me too. Most of mine are for my benefit only...So it makes it stupid to drop $1K on a monitor. I don't even think the damn thing would fit on my desk. Which just means I need a bigger desk


I would consider two smaller monitors over a single thirty inch one. Both I have can flip from standard (landscape) to portrait in less than 5 seconds. And, how are you currently calibrating your monitor? Little point in AdobeRGB if it isn't calibrated.

Brian A



Oct 27, 2013 at 07:26 AM
Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Currently I'm using a 14" laptop, which is obviously not cutting it. I was using a 20 something inch Hans-G until it uh, broke in a move.

I've never used dual screen, so I'm a little leery of it. The 27" ultrasharp and the 30" ultrasharp come from Dell calibrated, although I've heard some say it's perfect from the factory and some say it's not. I might end up researching calibration to get it just right. So, really anything is a step up, but if I'm going to be buying a monitor or two, I want it to accurately portray color from virtually any angle (IPS).

And I want to get at least 2560x1440...



Oct 27, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Poff Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4148

$849.99 as we speak!

99% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB... I have this permanently bookmarked - I want one too!

The only thing, and someone with one of these please correct me if I am wrong, you have to go with the X-rite i1DisplayPro if you want external calibration confirmation...

No problem if you already own one, but if you have a Spyder, they supposedly don't play well together...

People RAVE about this one too! More spendy but comes with its own calibration system...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689880-REG/nec_pa271w_bk_sv_multisync_pa271w_bk_sv_27_widescreen.html



Oct 27, 2013 at 08:04 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Jeff Higgins
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Poff Photo wrote:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=225-4148

$849.99 as we speak!

99% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB... I have this permanently bookmarked - I want one too!

The only thing, and someone with one of these please correct me if I am wrong, you have to go with the X-rite i1DisplayPro if you want external calibration confirmation...

No problem if you already own one, but if you have a Spyder, they supposedly don't play well together...

People RAVE about this one too! More spendy but comes with its own calibration system...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689880-REG/nec_pa271w_bk_sv_multisync_pa271w_bk_sv_27_widescreen.html


That Dell was the 27" I was contemplating, but the NEC looks great. Hmmm..I could almost get two 27" for the NEC price. But I've heard good things about the NEC's...I think I'm paralyzed by too many options!



Oct 27, 2013 at 08:13 AM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


The idea of a factory calibrated monitor is somewhat ridiculous. One would have to ask: calibrated to what?

There are several problems, not least of which is that monitors change over time, and especially over the first few weeks. And then there are the ambient viewing conditions. I have large, north facing windows in my studio: I run at D65, 140 cd/m, and at a 2.2 gamma. If you were normally processing under dimmer conditions, you would probably want to be running nearer to D50 and 80 cd/m. So how does Dell know your editing conditions?

The NEC is more expensive, but it does come with calibration hardware and software; probably in the region of $150 worth still more expensive. There are good, less expensive NEC monitors two 23/24 inch monitors often being less expensive than one 27 inch monitor. (You only need one calibration device for two monitors.)

Brian A



Oct 27, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Poff Photo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Oh, Jeff, did you notice that when you put the NEC into your cart the price drops?

Just checkin'...



Oct 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Jeff Higgins wrote:
I'm buying a new monitor (if I can just make a choice), but was wondering for photography which is best to use, sRGB or the Adobe one? Noob question I know, but I never paid attention before, and I'm sure some of my photos have paid the price!

Thanks!


for photo work I'd go wide gamut all the way (although some of lower priced ones don't have sRGB emulation or don't do that well, so if you want to do lots of tv/games/non-color manage stuff too and that matters a lot, then either forget wide gamut or make sure to go for one with a nice emulation mode).



Oct 28, 2013 at 02:12 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


Jeff Higgins wrote:
That Dell was the 27" I was contemplating, but the NEC looks great. Hmmm..I could almost get two 27" for the NEC price. But I've heard good things about the NEC's...I think I'm paralyzed by too many options!


they jsut updated the PA271W to the PA272W, for the price they still have on the 271 I'd get the 272 or maybe wait and see if the PA271 drops once the 272 start shipping (late mid-Nov)



Oct 28, 2013 at 02:15 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


hugowolf wrote:
The idea of a factory calibrated monitor is somewhat ridiculous. One would have to ask: calibrated to what?

There are several problems, not least of which is that monitors change over time, and especially over the first few weeks. And then there are the ambient viewing conditions. I have large, north facing windows in my studio: I run at D65, 140 cd/m, and at a 2.2 gamma. If you were normally processing under dimmer conditions, you would probably want to be running nearer to D50 and 80 cd/m. So how does Dell know your editing conditions?



If the color engine is good enough you can change the WB and brightness and tone response curve and so on and it still remains calibrated more or less. I don't know if the Dell engine is that good, but the one in the NEC more or less is. Assuming things don't drift much over time.




Oct 28, 2013 at 02:18 AM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


skibum5 wrote:
If the color engine is good enough you can change the WB and brightness and tone response curve and so on and it still remains calibrated more or less.


Less, would be the answer to that question.

Brian A



Oct 28, 2013 at 03:14 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


hugowolf wrote:
Less, would be the answer to that question.

Brian A


No, because you initially calibrate a NEC PA to some state the color engine can then translate it to just about anything else (heck SV II software basically does nothing more than measure the WB and set that and brightness too (which wouldn't be off more than +/-5 cd/m^2 anyway unless you have insane hours on it) and everything else it just dials in itself, click on a tone response curve and it instantly switches to it, same for moving primaries). That is the magic of a 14bit 3D LUT.

You may as well claim that the NEC is useless then.

Maybe the WB drifts over time so it measures that with the probe but it basically internally calculates everything else.



Oct 28, 2013 at 05:52 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


heads up B&H has the PA271W now for $750-869 depending upon what time you click today, so they are starting to clear that one out for the new PA272W. Quite a good buy at this clear out price.



Oct 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Bifurcator
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · sRGB or Adobe RGB?


AdobeRGB for your camera if that's it's widest standard.
ProPhoto for editing from import to export.
sRGB for jpeg exports to be posted.




Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password