Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Abandoned House

beavens
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Abandoned House

Hey everyone! Looking for some feedback in order to get the most out of this shot and to figure out if I blew the processing or not.

Recently went to the Smoky Mountains with my wife, and was able to explore a ton of really awesome abandoned houses and cabins in this one area. Provided for a ton of very creepy pictures!

Thanks!

Jeff

Edited on Oct 27, 2013 at 01:52 AM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:09 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Abandoned House

Well, for one, I love these kinds of images. The POV is engaging, the range of textures interesting. HDR? If not, surprising detail through the window.
Is it diffuse shadow or shadow + vignette along the bottom? I wouldnt mind a bit more opened up there and less fall off of the light if you vignetted
I think the color balance is off. Seems a bit off along the dirty porcelain fixtures.. kind of magenta?
Overall, for me a definite keeper. I might also play with this with over the top processing to pull out extensive detail and texture, discarding realism. Not because that would be better, but I think there are many interesting ways to go here.
Scott

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:15 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abandoned House

sbeme wrote:
Well, for one, I love these kinds of images. The POV is engaging, the range of textures interesting. HDR? If not, surprising detail through the window.
Is it diffuse shadow or shadow + vignette along the bottom? I wouldnt mind a bit more opened up there and less fall off of the light if you vignetted
I think the color balance is off. Seems a bit off along the dirty porcelain fixtures.. kind of magenta?
Overall, for me a definite keeper. I might also play with this with over the top processing to pull out extensive detail and texture, discarding realism. Not because
...Show more

Thanks Scott! No HDR, just pulled the highlights back in Lightroom. I'll check on the white balance, but everything seemed copacetic last I looked. No vignette, that's just how the lighting worked out. I can see how it would look if I brought the shadows up some.

This is definitely an image that could benefit from a more surreal look to it (although in this case it's a bit like that as is!).

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:36 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abandoned House

Exif?

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:41 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abandoned House

sbeme wrote:
Exif?

Weird.. not sure why it was stripped.

Canon 5D2
Canon 24-70 Ver. I
1/100, f/2.8, 1600ISO, handheld

Exposure bumped 1 stop in Lightroom, contrast and shadows slightly increased, highlights significantly clipped, moderate clarity and vibrance.

Oct 27, 2013 at 02:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abandoned House

Too much vibrance for me ... I never see that much color (UV damage, etc.) in abandoned places falling apart.

+1 @ some color cast issues ... likely coming from your two different sources of lighting direction @ window vs. ceiling and color falloff. Dialing back the vibrance or sat might make it less of a diff. Mono might be a good choice too.

Different ways to go ...

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:32 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abandoned House

Kent,

Thanks for the feedback. I reset the image to as-shot, and I'm still coming in with a good amount of vibrance as in the processed image. Dial you dial it way back?

As far as wb goes, it seems I'm walking a fine line in between bringing out some bluing or making it over all too warm. Is it quite subtle or am I way off base here?

Cheers!

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abandoned House

Subtle with a few stronger hints.

Well part of the problem that we often run into with our "blue light" is that it isn't in all portions of the scene equally. So if we globally correct the entire image for the worst areas ... then we over correct in the least/unaffected areas.

We are all aware of how light falls off over distance ... well, if our light happens to be coming in from a portion of the sky that is predominantly blue (i.e. north window in northern hemisphere) and the sunlight is streaming in from an east/west/south window, then we have two different colors of light coming into the scene. Those areas closest to the blue window can reveal the blue more than the rest of the image if there is a second source of a different color from a different direction.

It makes me wonder how much the "North light" was valued for its softness quality and how much it was valued for its color, or if it was valued as a means to have a complement to warm light that may have been provided by other windows or candle light etc.

I digress (typical), but I wouldn't sweat the color too much as most folks will never notice. I just like to read the light.

I'm actually looking at some wedding pictures that were not properly corrected by a GWAC. It has blue rocks in the background and a white dress. The only problem is that the rocks weren't blue and the dress wasn't white. The time of day was such that the illumination was provided by the overhead sky (not direct sulight) and the coolness of that light requires to be balanced differently than standard daylight.

Building interiors often times do not have direct sunlight in all areas, thus the diff color temps and color falloff that they can incur ... especially when they are in low light areas that have not other light source to override their cool color.

Probably didn't say it very well, but the main thing to take away from it is that by reading where your light is coming from you can sometimes see that some portions are being illuinated by cool light, while others are not ... a global correction effort will have you in the "not evnough vs. too much" scenario. Most folks simply accept some of the blue in isolated areas rather that push it too warm overall.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abandoned House

Your knowledge of light blows me away, Kent!

I see what you're saying and will play around accordingly.

Thanks!

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abandoned House

Ended up with something a lot more similar to what Kent came up with. I think reducing the vibrance from as it was shot gives it a much more appropriate mood for the shot.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password