Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Signing your photos

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Signing your photos

Wondering if most photographers are signing their prints, digitally or otherwise? Does anyone actually sign their prints with Micro Marker on paper such as Epson Ultra Premium Lustre?

I had a signature saved as a clone a long time ago and I think I reloaded PS or something because it's gone. Forgot how I did that.

Oct 26, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Signing your photos

I usually sign my prints on the mats that they are presented in. In one case where I sold loose prints that were to be framed elsewhere, I used a sharpie or ink paint marker right on the image itself, but that is not my preference.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Signing your photos

It depends on whether you consider it fine art or not. Fine art prints are never signed in the imprint. The signature and date should go in the bottom right border, the title bottom centre, the edition numbering and proofing (A/P 2/5 = artist proof two of five) should go bottom left. If you have no title or edition, then sign bottom left or centre.

If you are printing on RC, ie plastic papers, then you have to find a pen that will stick to that surface.

I have never understood signing a mat, what is that supposed to signify: you cut the mat by hand?

Brian A

Edited on Oct 28, 2013 at 03:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Chris Collis

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Signing your photos

This is what I do, and what suits my subject matter, papers and presentation. YMMV and nearly all my images are full color natural history. In general, I have 3 formats in which prints are received by a client: framed and matted papers, papers trimmed to edge of prints without any framing, and gallery wrapped canvas.

Framed papers: I sign the print itself and the matte. The paper is signed in the margins that are not printed on and hidden by the mat when framed. This margin is typically ~2" of white space that I leave on the print and is behind the mat. This would only be seen by the customer if they removed the print from the frame. It just serves the purpose of keeping your brand on the print longer than if only signing the mat. For instance, if the customer decides to re-frame the print down the road, the print will still have my signature. Customer could trim off this margin and remove my claim to the photograph, but I understand that trade-off and believe this strikes the balance I prefer. On the mat, I sign bottom right with the year. Title of the image goes bottom left. I used to number my prints with an edition, but no longer do this.

Unframed papers: I deliver these in an archival sleeve, containing the trimmed print (no margins) and an unmounted archival quality matboard of the same size (only for rigidity). These prints I sign the back of the print with signiature and year bottom right.

Wrapped canvas: I sign the canvas bottom right with year. I don't include a title on canvases.

Choice of pens/markers/pencil, etc. is one I spent some time choosing. In all cases, I use ink that is archival certified. On papers and framed mats, I use Sakura Micron in black and the .01 size. On canvas, I will use the Sakura Micron or this Pilot pen in Silver if the background is too dark. Sometimes the silver is also not appropriate, in which case I'll use one of several archival white pens I have. Its tough to find a good white or silver pen that is archival, but here is one that is pigment based. The Sharpie Poster Marker in white is supposedly archival as well, but I haven't used it. Maybe the idea of a "Sharpie" is what's turning me off.

Lots of ways to do it, but this is what works for me. At times I have done less in the way of signing and actually received feedback from buyers that they wish the signature or other details were more prominent. Its all a balance I believe and there's no right answer. Its all a part of your work or art if you think of it that way. Its interesting to see the way others have adapted the process. I'd love to see some pics of examples if anyone has any. I'll try to come back and post some of mine.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Signing your photos

I leave a small border of white paper between the matt and the edge of the print area, slightly wider at the bottom. Signature is in the bottom border directly on the print. I mostly use luster surface which requires a special pen.

I use the Zig Memory writer because each pen has a fine point and a wider point on each end, it uses pigment ink, is acid-free, lightfast, fade proof and non-bleeding--most importantly it's available in platinum (gray). The result looks like a pencil signature, much more subtle and organic than black. You can order them online.

The pens are a bit like Epson printers. They will clog (dry out actually) if not used for a while or not agitated.

Sal

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Signing your photos

Thanks guys for your input on this. It is interesting to see how everyone does it. I think there are people who are doing it digitally on the print as well, in the lower right corner.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Signing your photos

I'm still trying to figure out what signing a mat would signify other than......wild guess here... the name of the artist?

I use a mat cutter to cut mats. I don't think I can get them that straight if I cut them by hand.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:55 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Signing your photos

Jeffrey wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what signing a mat would signify other than......wild guess here... the name of the artist?

I use a mat cutter to cut mats. I don't think I can get them that straight if I cut them by hand.

And when the buyer decides to have the print reframed?

Brian A

Oct 28, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Signing your photos

Good point. What I sell are complete matted and framed images of mine. Of all of them that I've put out I don't know of any that have been re-framed. Even if they were, the images are mounted to mat boards and would still be that way in a new frame.

Oct 28, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Chris Collis

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Signing your photos

I do like the idea of this, signing a margin of blank paper around the print. Would love to see an example of what this looks like if you have any. I imagine getting those proportions right for the margins to print to mat would take some playing. Do you follow any kind of loose formula or are your prints mostly one size?

As for why a signature is on the mat, its pretty common and says nothing about the mat or how it was cut. Reasonable idea to use the mat simply as a location for the signature. Folks (Art Wolfe for one) have been doing it a very long time. But I get the principle of signing what you created and are displaying. I'm thinking about this for my own prints and am finding everyone's approach interesting.

In case this is interesting for anyone else, I played around in Ps, mocking this up in a few ways. For the record, this is for a 13x19" mat opening, with 2.5" of mat all around. Frame width is 3/4". For the versions where the signature is inside the mat (on the paper), I've done a 1/2" margin top/left/right and 3/4" on bottom for the signature area. This makes the signature roughly 1/2" tall. (disclaimer: Ps sig here is a poor version of how I sign normally, I promise I'm not a third grader ). I'm thinking all these margins would need to change with the scale of the print, but Sal Baker or anyone else who does this I'd love to hear your take on it. White and Black mat versions shown.

black mat, sig inside mat

black mat, sig outside

white mat, sig inside

white mat, sig outside

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password