Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

I have a photo with a large area which is kind of light blue / lilac on the screen. The photo looks nice on the compute, but those blues are out of gamut. When printing it out, the out of gamut area comes in more toward a turquoise blue (nota lot but it is definitely less magenta) and there isn't much in the way of contrast. I'm printing on an old R1800. Does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve the better color in that general area and to increase the detail just in that area. The rest of the photo actually has quite a bit of contrast so any corrections would not be global. It is at sunset.

Thanks,

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

different paper? different rendering intent?

What does softproofing say? Can you desaturate the color a little?

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Thanks for responding Howard. I looked at it soft proofing and it looks better than when printed. I sill just mess around with it and maybe stack images, etc

Oct 28, 2013 at 04:36 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

What color space are you using? sRGB? It may help to convert it to Adobe1998 or ProPhotoRGB before printing, but the color information may have already been lost.

The best course is to process the original raw file in to the 16 bit ProPhoto color space to preserve all of the available color information, and then print from that tiff or PSD file.

Oct 29, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Hendrik
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

If the colors are already clipped (look at the channel histogram), then the color data is missing and lost. You cannot bring lost detail back.

You can process the original RAW file (if available) and convert to a larger working color space (like mentioned by Norman).

You need an output device that can print the saturated blues, or else they are clipped again and detail is lost.

Desaturating the image can be a good solution, because the color contrast remains intact (but the colors are less intense).

Already said, but glossy paper has a wider color gamut.

Try a different printer profile, maybe its a bit better. Optimal, you should have a custom-made profile for your paper/printer/ink/settings combination. Sometimes you can download specific profiles from the paper manufacturers website. Sometimes they are quite reasonable.

Remember that a printed image will never look so vibrant/brilliant as compared to the image viewed on a display.

Nov 08, 2013 at 04:07 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Thanks guys for your responses. First of all this is scanned MF film so there is no RAW file. Color space is Adobe RGB along with a profile for Epson Ultra Premium Lustre created with colorMunki. Interesting though, I had a 3880 for a while, and have a Profile for that one as well. The Soft Proofing for the 3880 has a somewhat smaller area of out of gamut (I was surprised). It's still a large area, but not as bad. I will check for any clipping, but on screen it does not look like it's clipped. I have made some selections now and feathered them so I did not have to select exactly and brightened the mid range. I just may try putting this image into Picture window Pro and sampling all the blue values that I want brightened and then making a selection by graph using numbers. With PWP, you can change the general tone of that sampled area. It will show as a dot on a color cube and the color can be pushed over to modify it. Haven't done it in ages, but it's pretty cool. Not sure if that would help the printing problem, because it already looks good on the screen.

Nov 08, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

In order to test the gamut of your file, you probably want to convert a copy of the file to your printer profile in Photoshop using Convert to Profile - remember, the way you used to print years ago. Then your file will be in the printer space and you can use the Info Palette to see what the numbers read in the areas in question. You can also compare the differences between Relative Colorimetric and Perceptual rendering intents. And, there may be options you didn't explore when making your profile. Does your ColorMunki use the full version of i1Profiler or is it a slightly crippled version.

Nov 08, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Thanks everyone for your help. Peter, I will try that. My ColorMunki seems like a basic one. It's the one called "ColorMunki Photo (around $375 I think) and does not allow for adjustment of the individual RGB. I'm working on a CRT, which I think may be drifting now so I think I'm getting a new Monitor as well as a new printer.

Nov 09, 2013 at 01:50 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.