Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

I have a photo with a large area which is kind of light blue / lilac on the screen. The photo looks nice on the compute, but those blues are out of gamut. When printing it out, the out of gamut area comes in more toward a turquoise blue (nota lot but it is definitely less magenta) and there isn't much in the way of contrast. I'm printing on an old R1800. Does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve the better color in that general area and to increase the detail just in that area. The rest of the photo actually has quite a bit of contrast so any corrections would not be global. It is at sunset.

Thanks,

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

I had a problem with my old R800 in general with muddy colors. For some images, printing with different settings sometimes helped, such as using saturation for the color space conversion.

Also, make usre you have the latest (last) driver. I once found an Epson driver on their Australian site that seemed to work better than the US variety.

I had custom profiles made that performed better than the standard Epson for the specific papers I used.

Love the Epson 7900 I moved to....

Not saying you need to go that far, but I'm sure a newer printer is going to give far superior results.

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Norman my love wrote:
I have a photo with a large area which is kind of light blue / lilac on the screen. The photo looks nice on the compute, but those blues are out of gamut. When printing it out, the out of gamut area comes in more toward a turquoise blue (nota lot but it is definitely less magenta) and there isn't much in the way of contrast. I'm printing on an old R1800. Does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve the better color in that general area and to increase the detail just in that area. The
...Show more

You can try boosting local contrast and messing around with saturation and tone in PS or something, experiemnt with various color space mapping algorithms, unfortunately sometimes there is no way to get it look as nice.

Some papers have a different and/or wider gamut and that may or not help in this particular case. Some of the Hahnemuhle Photo Rags produce a little bit of a wider gamut from most inks/pigments than most other papers.

Some printer's inks may be a closer match to the tones you need than others.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:03 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Norman my love wrote:
I have a photo with a large area which is kind of light blue / lilac on the screen. The photo looks nice on the compute, but those blues are out of gamut. When printing it out, the out of gamut area comes in more toward a turquoise blue (nota lot but it is definitely less magenta) and there isn't much in the way of contrast. I'm printing on an old R1800. Does anyone have any ideas on how to preserve the better color in that general area and to increase the detail just in that area. The
...Show more

What rendering intent are you using?

Relative colorimetric, the best intent to use when there are few or no out of gamut colors, will map similar out of gamut hues to the same color. If you have large areas out of gamut, then perceptual will often be a better choice.

Brian A

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:02 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

skibum5 wrote:
... Some of the Hahnemuhle Photo Rags produce a little bit of a wider gamut from most inks/pigments than most other papers.

… and Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 can really block up on dark greens, something I haven’t seen on other papers.

Brian A

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

If the trouble area is out of gamut, there isn't much you can do imo outside of editing to move that portion of the image within the capabilities of your printer and selected media. Perceptual rendering will shift the out of gamut areas into something "close."

49/79/9900 with a high quality photographic paper is your best bet.

ken

Oct 26, 2013 at 07:50 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

hugowolf wrote:
… and Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 can really block up on dark greens, something I haven’t seen on other papers.

Brian A

I was thinking Photo Rag Pearl 320 actually, I keep forgetting that I need to add the Pearl qualifier since they have other types. \

But I've seen a few amazing pro Audubon replications done on double elephant folio sized sheets of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. Those ones didn't have many dark green tones. Couldn't you reprocess the dark greens to fix them up on it or not?

EDIT: oops mistaken again! In the second case it wasn't Photo Rag but Hahnemuhle Cotton Rag as it turns out for the Audubon repros.

Edited on Oct 26, 2013 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am using Epson UP Lustre and Perceptual. I tried colorimetric as well. The blocked up color is still blue, not green, it just does not have the pretty lilac tones or the separation of color. I guess I will go in and try to select the area before making my changes. Have never been able to do well with large intricate selections, so was hoping to not have to do that.

Ken, What is 49/79/9900? I think it's red, green blue, but is it a setting for something?
Bernie, Yah, I'm thinking Epson 4900 or Canon's 17".

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:36 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Norman my love wrote:

Ken, What is 49/79/9900? I think it's red, green blue, but is it a setting for something?
Bernie, Yah, I'm thinking Epson 4900 or Canon's 17".

Sorry about that---just helping you spend your money: Epson 4900 or 7900 or 9900.

ken

Oct 27, 2013 at 09:50 AM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of gamut area dull boring when printing.

Thanks Ken. I've been thinking 4900 (or possibly Canon), but I purchased a 3880 a while back which died after a week. Sending it back was a hassle and I decided to forget it. The 4900 is 110 lbs and I have a bad back. Don't want to think of sending it back or getting it repaired, so I've been mulling it over. It also involves making a place for it. I have this office type wooden file cabinet, which I was considering putting it on, but it is from Staples and I don't think they are made well. The R1800 does OK on most prints. You wouldn't happen to know of a site that shows graphs of color gamuts of the different printers would you? I'd love to look at them side by side.

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.