Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

Orlov
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

I am getting a used 5D Mark II to take pictures of products for my store. I was wondering what the best lens would be? I am shooting mostly jewelry and clothing.

Oct 24, 2013 at 09:52 PM
RichCoyle
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

I do a lot of product shots with a 5D Mark III, Canon 100 macro, and a light table. Happy shooting!

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Rytr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

Agree the Canon 'L' or 'non-L' will work for photographing jewelry and probably be acceptable for photographing clothing displays. It is good wide open at f2.8 but you will probably need some type of special lighting for jewelry. Suggested light table would be good.

Oct 25, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Orlov
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

Which light table do you guys use? I imagine it would be very expensive to get one that is large enough to fit clothing onto.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM
RichCoyle
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

Clothing might not work with a light table because it wouldn't drape well. You're going to need white seamless and light it to blow out the background; you also might need a wider lens than a 100 if that is what you are shooting.

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:42 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

For jewelry you'll probably want a light box to control reflections (can make one very cheap if on a very strict budget) and I'd think a 60mm or 100ish mm macro ideal.

Oct 27, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Mannequin-

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is the ideal lens for product photography?

With jewelry you'll want anything dark as far away from it as possible unless you can cleverly hide it. Macro lenses are typically used for jewelry, but for product photography in general I shoot with a Nikon 105, which also doubles as a macro lens. But the 105 focal length is good because it's sharp and doesn't have the kind of distortion you find in other lenses, (or at least not to the same degree), so you can get accurate/realistic looking images of the product without having to worry about distortion.

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.