Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · hockey t&i

rerdreb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · hockey t&i

Shooting my first hockey team and individuals soon. Any pointers for shooting on the ice. I've done football, soccer, basketball, baseball etc etc but those were all on dry land. Plan to shoot cordless with flash. And use a tripod for sure. Any pointers? I have not posed hockey either I want to keep it simple this first time and do a good job.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · hockey t&i

rerdreb wrote:
Shooting my first hockey team and individuals soon. Any pointers for shooting on the ice. I've done football, soccer, basketball, baseball etc etc but those were all on dry land. Plan to shoot cordless with flash. And use a tripod for sure. Any pointers? I have not posed hockey either I want to keep it simple this first time and do a good job.

I have only done hockey a few times, but here is my 2 cents. When shooting on the ice with flash, watch out for reflections/flare is the glass. When shooting the team photo, I put might lights up high and shot down a bit more than I usually do. I also shot the team from a low angle to keep the glare from showing up. I used two lights with umbrellas. I shot the individual photos outside the rink against a paper backdrop to get the photos done quickly. If you do a search on the forum, there are some really good hockey portrait set ups. I think Rick Denham had some some great examples. Here are a few of my photos for examples.

Jeff

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:50 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · hockey t&i

rerdreb wrote:

As Jeff mentioned, you have to fly when taking these photos since ice time is so expensive but I've never done a hockey team photo day because the kids are from all over and many drive, as much as 2 hours to get to the rink.

The coaches and officials around here want the pictures taken on the ice with the net so I do as they say.

Usually these sessions are set up by the coaches before a practice and/or right after an ice cut so you have to be ready to photograph when the team is given the all clear to be on the ice.

I try to use 2-4 strobes with umbrellas for hockey teams and have my extension cords plugged in at the penalty box area and my lights and stands close to the boards so I can get off the ice ASAP so they can practice.

Most teams here share the ice so one team is photographed at one end of the rink while the others work on skating drills and stick handling with no pucks allowed while players have their helmets off for pictures at the other end.

I try to take the team photo first so a couple of benches are ready then...as the players are finished with individuals...they can skate around at the other end of the rink.

Hockey parents tend to spend more on team pictures than other groups so hopefully you do well with your group.

Attached are a few examples of various poses for all age groups.

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:51 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · hockey t&i

...couple more...

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:53 PM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · hockey t&i

Here's my T & I for hockey, I use 2 Ultra Zap 1600 strobes that I bounce off the ceiling of the rink on full power just inside the blue line aimed toward the goal, players & teams are shot about 10 feet from the goal line,gives me lots of light.It takes me less than 10 minutes to do 12 players & team shot on the ice, no equipment is on the ice at any times, just me & a camera.
Paul

Edited on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:40 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · hockey t&i

MS PHOTO wrote:
Here's my T & I for hockey, I use 2 Ultra Zap 1600 strobes that I bounce off the ceiling of the rink on full power just inside the blue line aimed toward the goal, players & teams are shot about 10 feet from the goal line,gives me lots of light.
Paul

Nice lighting. I did not even think about bouncing off the ceiling. That might reduce the glare against the glass.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:53 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · hockey t&i

Yea, no light spilling into glass.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:23 AM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · hockey t&i

The bounced light idea is great! I was planning on using two umbrella's with Canon 580 flashes so that I didn't have cords on the ice and they would be easy to move. Would be even better if the lighting was off the ice and I could leave it set up.

I was instructed that I would take the pictures on the ice by the net right after the ice gets cut so that it is smooth. Once I was done with the team they would then practice for the remainder of their ice time. They will cut the ice before the next team takes the ice for practice and I will repeat the process.

Somewhere between 90-110 kids. over 3 days (to catch all the practice days).

I'm just not sure I have enough power in my lights to bounce off the ceiling. The ceiling isn't super high but it is high enough. Bounce would reduce a lot of problems.

Oct 26, 2013 at 08:07 AM
jim2312
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · hockey t&i

I just finished 25 hockey teams last week. All on ice with ages from 6 to 16. I have a very bright rink so use available light. Three important items i focus on safety, use as new a net as possible, it makes a huge difference and center the net to the player, Notice how I said net to player. I don't want the kids shuffling around so I have an assistant on skates next to the net and I tell him to push or pull. They then kneel in front of he bench and I take their sticks away from them. I am on skates as well. Line up he team photo and then the all kneel and we get the helmets from the bench and off they go. 2 teams done in less than 20 minutes of ice time. The biggest thing is safety and get the sticks away from them when doing the team photo.

Oct 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · hockey t&i

team photo's - while bouncing the lights may seem good, it can also not be the greatest.
this to me is ugly - bad team photo
while this to me is not - good team photo
NOTICE THE BACKGROUNDS - in the first photo it's ugly, just plain old ugly. in the second photo it's symmetrical, and adds to the image. If you bounce lights in an arena then you're going to see the arena. so make sure it's an arena you want to be seen.

ideally, what you want to do is shoot from the goal line, with the team placed between the hash marks and the top of the circle (depending on team size). get up on a chair, with your lights as high as they can go. shoot at around f14, it will drop the background and give you a fabulous team photo.

the problem with most team photo's is they want the "ice logo" in the photo. that's lame, you can't see it anyways, and it usually ends up on the print as a graphic too.

things to have on hand, besides your camera gear.
-water bottle with water
-small car squeegee
these two items will save you so much time in post. player skates in front where he shouldn't then you spray the ice down with water, and squeegee it away, voila! new ice.

Edited on Oct 30, 2013 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 08:23 AM
GaryMc
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · hockey t&i

What Rick said. One comment... I hope the Dutchmen are in GREAT shape. Nine skaters.... wow.... that's a lot of ice time!

Gary

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.