New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · DAM Book questions

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DAM Book questions

In the post linked below, I started a discussion on file management help. The DAM Book came highly recommended.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238879

So I hopped over to a massive online merchant and placed my order. Many weeks later, they tell me that they're unable to fulfill my order. So I hop over to the DAM Book's website to look at buying the PDF (would prefer a hard copy).

While there, I see the Multi-Catalog Workflow with Lightroom "book" that they have. Interesting.

About The DAM Book Workflow Guides
When the first two editions of The DAM Book were published, they included a thorough discussion of the principles of storage, organization and workflow, followed by demonstrations of that workflow in action. Starting with the third edition of The DAM Book, the workflow will be split into DAM Book Workflow Guides that are both software and task specific.

Does anybody have experience with this? Would I get enough of my file-management view from this book if I skipped the original DAM Book? From the TOC it doesn't look like the Multi-Catalog book covers much about organizing photos on disk, but would rather hear firsthand.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DAM Book questions

My copy isn't that recent but as I read what you quoted my impression was that you still need The DAM Book for the fundamentals, and then get as many DAM Book Workflow Guides as you need as well - rather than instead of.

The main thing that I did not like about The DAM Book was the preference for using DNG files instead of Raw files. DNG files would very quickly over-fill my Time Machine incremental backups drive and cause TM to discard older backups that aren't really old enough to be discarded.

There is also the concept of archiving older image files but I figure that if I want it then it doesn't belong in an archive, it belongs in my Lr catalog. If I don't want it then it's gone. I found that managing archives and my current images separately was too much of a hassle, in part because the current images have all been renamed from what the camera named them.

The concept of organising photos on disc varies according to the type of software you use. If you have a photo management program such as Lightroom or Aperture then the organisation is largely irrelevant because the program has indexed everything needed to find them quickly. If you use browser-type software then you need a more meaningful structure because you'll be driving the searches.

Ditto for file names and whether or not to file according to events or dates or locations or whatever.

- Alan

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DAM Book questions

Thanks for the reply and insight Alan. Thanks for the tip on DNG files, I will look out for that. I don't have any intention or plans to move from RAW.

I do enjoy the agnosticity (is that a word? it should be...) of LR and similar software for tagging & managing files, but I also enjoy the independence of a well-structured file set in case I migrate away from any particular software in the future.

Looks like I'm stuck with that DAM book. At least the PDF is cheaper.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.