FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

We photographed this wedding last weekend... Bride and groom were high school sweethearts. Groom was the all-star pitcher and bride's brother was his catcher. Eventually, they broke up and went their separate ways only to re-find each other on Facebook over a mutual love of performing music. At the end of the reception, they stepped in and performed with the band... it was pretty rad.

Huge shout out to Tom Janz for helping me with this one... Anne is 9 months pregnant, should be any day now.

Tried some new things during this reception and was really happy with the results... only one shot from that session made the cut for the blog, but I think its a starting point for what could be some very cool stuff in the future. I can't wait to explore more this weekend.

As always, click the storyboard and they'll expand.

http://anneandrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/brooklake-country-club-wedding-11.jpg

http://anneandrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/brooklake-country-club-wedding-2.jpg

http://anneandrich.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/brooklake-country-club-wedding-3.jpg

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:01 AM
pattyw
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

This looks like such a fun wedding and I just love your b&w conversions. And it looks like Tom's images have blended beautifully with yours. I have one observation: I find with the 19+ images on the storyboard they take soooo long to render when I click to expand :-(

Looking forward to the new baby photos!

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:44 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

pattyw wrote:
This looks like such a fun wedding and I just love your b&w conversions. And it looks like Tom's images have blended beautifully with yours. I have one observation: I find with the 19+ images on the storyboard they take soooo long to render when I click to expand :-(

Looking forward to the new baby photos!

Patty... thank you for your kind words. It was a fun wedding. Dennis Rodman even made an appearance at the hotel just as the bride and groom were leaving, I would have loved to get a shot, but he said no photos and I wasn't about to fight an obviously drunk Dennis Rodman. Anne has recently tweaked our b&w images... so I'm glad to hear you like the look. Tom's work blends flawlessly with the way we shoot, but I knew it would. He helped me out 3 years ago when our son was born and he also took our workshop... so he's well versed in what we do and how we do it. It has been such a relief and help to have him with us again this time.... that being said, I'm also excited to have Inku work with me in a few weeks.

In terms of the storyboards... I know... it makes me sad too. They used to display fine, but about a year and a half ago, FM changed something in their image code and it started shrinking all of my storyboards. We storyboard for a reason, because it makes it easier for us to blog and present our work in the fastest manner possible. It seems silly to me to then go back through the whole process, saving, watermarking, and uploading images for the sake of a message board....

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:57 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

classy as usual!
I really have nothing to say other than to keep pushing the limits of your photography and your comfort zone.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

Really nice set, Rich. I had no trouble getting your storyboards to render when I expanded them, but I have a pretty fast internet speed, if that makes any difference.

Was the one shot you were referring to from the reception the one with the lady with the thumbs up. That's the one that looked different to me, with a flash coming from just above and behind you to freeze her while dragging your shutter?

Anyway, love your work. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L+N :: high school sweethearts make beautiful music together

hardlyboring wrote:
classy as usual!
I really have nothing to say other than to keep pushing the limits of your photography and your comfort zone.

Thanks Doug.... As I mentioned in Tony's thread, I don't think photography improvement comes in huge leaps and bounds at this point, but it is a steady polishing and improving. In that thread I mentioned figuring something out in terms of lighting... I really think it will lead me to some new areas and I can't wait to explore it.

friscoron wrote:
Really nice set, Rich. I had no trouble getting your storyboards to render when I expanded them, but I have a pretty fast internet speed, if that makes any difference.

Was the one shot you were referring to from the reception the one with the lady with the thumbs up. That's the one that looked different to me, with a flash coming from just above and behind you to freeze her while dragging your shutter?

Anyway, love your work. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the kind words.

Nope, not the thumbs up shot... the shot that's different is the one where the bride is dancing with her grandpa... Notice the lack of ambient lighting in the room, compared to the the first dance shots. I had someone make a keen observation of our lighting technique compared to someone else last week... They said, "Rich makes it look like he has NO lights in the room.... Photographer X makes it look like his lights are the only lights in the room." I won't mention who photographer X is, but it is someone from here that is also frequently sighted as having good reception lighting technique... so that got me thinking, how do I get from one extreme to the other, quickly.... still capturing the style I'm known for, but also capturing the opposite... and I think I found a way to do so. In hindsight, I can actually cut the ambient even more. I had room to play with the aperture and it would have still exposed properly. This weekend will be the test.

Rich

Oct 24, 2013 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.