Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

For sometime, I have been dreaming about this Factory Butte. I wanted to photograph it. I asked people around how to get there. I did research as well.

For the recent Southwest trip, this Factory Butte was solidly included in my trip.

It was awesome to see this Factory Butte from the flight from Denver to St. George. Very gracefully moving Factory Butte while the plane was moving!!

When I arrived Capitol Reef NP, I immediately went out to look for the factory Butte. I found it. I drove around. I took a look at it from different angles.

The following day, early in the morning, I went to capture the sunrise shots of the Factory Butte.

Well.. here are three pictures, one transformed into Black and White, to have a feeling of it's classic form.

Enjoy.

Kee

As the sun just peeking out

And a few minutes later ...

And about 30min later after I walked toward the butte - in B&W

Edited on Oct 26, 2013 at 01:33 AM · View previous versions

Oct 24, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

I really like your black and white shot. Well done.

Oct 24, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Derek Weston wrote:
I really like your black and white shot. Well done.

Hello Derek,

Thanks for your comments. ~Kee

Oct 24, 2013 at 05:37 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Before anyone says anything about the reddish color on the Factory Butte for the first two shots..
1. My monitor is all calibrated.
2. The intense sunrise beam was making the scene very reddish. I didn't change the color.
3. The black and white transform was done using 'aperture'
Since some one pm'ed me asking if there is something wrong with my monitor, I rechecked the shots.

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:17 AM
camboman
• •
p.1 #5 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Factory Butte is a special place for me too.

I think your B&W image best captures the lines and form of this magnificent landmark!

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

All three are very nice.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

I believe the colors. Factory Butte is a neat place. I really like the last composition.

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

camboman wrote:
Factory Butte is a special place for me too.

I think your B&W image best captures the lines and form of this magnificent landmark!

Michael,

Your photo of the Factory Butte with fantastic clouds was really exceptional. I thank you for all the guides you offered to me. I enjoyed staying in Caineville and this Factory Butte. Needless to say.. I missed the fantastic clouds you had.

Kee

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

uintaangler wrote:
All three are very nice.

Thanks for your kind comments. Glad that you like the images.

Oct 24, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Hello Ben,

Yes, indeed. Factory Butte is a neat one. I enjoyed the butte.
Hope to see it again in the Spring when the wildflowers are blooming.

ben egbert wrote:
I believe the colors. Factory Butte is a neat place. I really like the last composition.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Three excellent interpretations, Kee.
I also have seen such borderline "unbelievable" colors in the southwest's red rock country.
Because I shoot Kodak slide film, I sometimes have to desaturate the colors a bit because those films really like reds especially.
These work fine as they are; and all are different.
For me the B&W works best- because of the wonderful lines, shapes and textures.
Charlie

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Bart Carrig
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Kee: Excellent ! You really nailed it. Your efforts paid off.

Bart

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:37 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Hi Kee,

I really don't know what to say here as I have never seen sunrise color like this. So for all of the guys here who are saying they have seen this before, it's hard to argue against what someone says that they have experienced, but to be honest, unless they were drug induced experiences, I can in no way ever imagine seeing this red spread the way it is not just on the ground but into the sky? There is nothing at all about this red coloring that is natural looking. The only thing I can think of is these guys are afraid because of the way you laid out your 3 points which would cut short anyone wanting to say the red was not natural looking.

You know me, I am going to tell you what I think, even if others have borrowed glasses from John Lennon, I am not going to water down my response. Even if the sunrise was casting a red shade, which normally without clouds it's going to be a golden shade, the sky is not going to be red like it is. It's going to be blue, but it's not.

It sounds like you are happy with the way these look, and I guess that's what matters the most. But if these were mine, I would not be happy. I think your WB got thrown off, and you should adjust it and try these again from the start. But then again, everyone else seems to like these, so who am I to say....

Jim

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Three excellent interpretations, Kee.
I also have seen such borderline "unbelievable" colors in the southwest's red rock country.
Because I shoot Kodak slide film, I sometimes have to desaturate the colors a bit because those films really like reds especially.
These work fine as they are; and all are different.
For me the B&W works best- because of the wonderful lines, shapes and textures.
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

Yes, that color when the sun was just coming out was unbelievable. I had to go back again and again to see if I missed something there. After for a while, there was no sparkling but bland colors I saw. So I decided to move closer to the butte. My intention was to go really close to the foot of the butte, but it was a quite a challenge for me, at least for me. I just had to stop somewhere and compromise. The black and white shot was at the closest point. I am fine with it.

Kee

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #15 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Nice set Kee. While I like the B+W, the tones in #1 get my every time.

Brett

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

I never trust color on the web so I never dis an image for color. I am told my color vision is not that great anyway so a second good reason.

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Ron-H
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Intense colors, nice! You might want to fix the vignetting in the upper corners.
Ron

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Bart Carrig wrote:
Kee: Excellent ! You really nailed it. Your efforts paid off.

Bart

Thanks Bart. I still like to see Factory Butte again... maybe in the Spring?

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

JimFox wrote:
Hi Kee,

I really don't know what to say here as I have never seen sunrise color like this. So for all of the guys here who are saying they have seen this before, it's hard to argue against what someone says that they have experienced, but to be honest, unless they were drug induced experiences, I can in no way ever imagine seeing this red spread the way it is not just on the ground but into the sky? There is nothing at all about this red coloring that is natural looking. The only thing I can think of is
...Show more

Hey Jim,

I value your comments and suggestions highly. I tried hard to follow your suggestions as well.
I have checked every possible way to see anything that is not in the norm.
Today I am taking my Macbook Pro Retina to the Apple store in Tyson's Corner where I purchased.
They do have good number of people at the Genius Bar.. haha.. some are genius there as well, to check my computer.

And again, I appreciate your effort to "educate" me in many ways. I have lots to learn.

Kee

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Graceful Factory Butte at Sunrise

Celbrett wrote:
Nice set Kee. While I like the B+W, the tones in #1 get my every time.

Brett

Hello Brett,

Yes, I like the #1 shot as well with the way the intense sunrise lit the butte and surrounding area.
#3 shot was after a hard hiking there, at least for me.

Thanks and have a great fall color.

Kee

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password