Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Experience With Mavericks?

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience With Mavericks?

Anyone upgraded to Mavericks? Any problems with Adobe CS or CC. On their site Adobe says Mavericks is safe, so I was going to make the jump this morning.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience With Mavericks?

Only one so far that I have found not to be working properly is ACDSee

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience With Mavericks?

Just finished the upgrade .
So far no probs to report . LR5 and CS6 working happy and dandy

Oct 23, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience With Mavericks?

Ian, you're new to Macs so I'll give you a tip - it usually pays to let someone else find out if there are any problems with new versions of OS X. That means wait a bit longer than just hours or days after it is released

And when they do release an update never assume that what they tell they fixed is all they fixed. They don't like to admit all of the problems they caused even if they do eventually fix them.

- Alan

Oct 23, 2013 at 02:48 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience With Mavericks?

and if you can't wait, make sure to have at least 1 if not 2 backups (I use SuperDuper and TimeMachine).

Oct 23, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience With Mavericks?

Alan and Howard :

Yep I don't know what came over me , I usually wait for ages to do upgrades like that .

Glad to note no issues this time

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experience With Mavericks?

Alan and Howard :

Yep I don't know what came over me , I usually wait for ages to do upgrades like that .

Glad to note no issues this time

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experience With Mavericks?

First thing I noticed, is that it killed my Epson V500, it wont scan now, until a software update, however, none exists at this point!

Oct 23, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Chris Collis

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Experience With Mavericks?

Really interested to see this play out and hope everyone will chime in on their experience. I was running through checks on my most important apps and ended up deciding, reluctantly, to hold off for now.

Here's my contribution on some of the details, in order of importance in my case.

Note: RoaringApps.com is a great resource for finding solid data about OSX compatibility. Good place to start checking your apps.

Eizo ColorNavigator (version 6.4.4 for me)
Best I can tell, this is not supported. At least not for one person, who is the only info I can find. This is the deal killer for me.
Apple Support post is here
RoaringApps does not have Mavericks compatibility data posted yet.

i1Profiler (current version is 1.5.0)
This is reported on roaringapps.com (great compatibility site) as not compatible. Commenter confirmed the same.
Here's i1Profiler on RoaringApps

Adobe CC/CS6
The Adobe apps, CC and CS6 versions, seem to be compatible at least mostly. Looks like there are a few issues, but they look minor. On CC/CS6 versions, Adobe has acknowledged some minor issues with Lr 5 appearance, After Effects and Dreamweaver. Also something with Flash Player and Safari (see the link below for more). More people saying versions CS5 and earlier have issues ranging from minor to failure to load entirely. For me, running a mix of CS6 and CC Adobe apps, I'd forge ahead if it weren't for the problems with ColorNavigator. If I were running CS5 and earlier, I would hold off.
Official Adobe page about Mavericks compatibility and FAQs
Adobe Blog post with couple not so encouraging comments

Epson Printer Drivers / Software
I use a Stylus Pro 9900 and a Workforce 645. In my case, it looks like everything would be supported. The current driver for the 9900 (v. 9.04 released in 2012) is stated to be compatible with Mavericks by Epson. For the WF 645, it looks Mavericks would have this driver/software included in the OS, which makes sense. Epson has some good info to look through on compatibility and your printers. The one area that apparently is a real problem are scanners.
Epson page with Mavericks update instructions by model
Epson FAQs page about Mavericks

Hope that helps some people. Dealing with these issues are pretty much the part I hate most about using all these products. Hopefully this thread can save us all some time and frustration.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Experience With Mavericks?

Nikon and Canon are notorious for taking a long time to get their software right. It's as if they don't waste time testing on beta versions of a new OS and they start some time after the official release. Adobe is much faster, so adopting Lr a few years ago was a good move. Aperture would be good too, or so you'd expect coming from Apple.

I looked at RoaringApps yesterday and it nothing for Mavericks. User-based reporting needs users and there weren't any a couple of days ago, so it will take a while for the problems to be revealed.

- Alan

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Experience With Mavericks?

I fired off a raging complaint to Apple (not that they give a twit ) about the destruction of sync services. I've never found iCloud (or any cloud) to be trustworthy enough to use as the bases of my data exchanges. I'm holding off for now though I seriously doubt Apple will restore that functionality.

As noted by others, I'll sit it out till at least 10.9.2. I use to be an early adopter/unpaid beta tester, but just don't have the patience for it any more

Robert

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Experience With Mavericks?

10.9 has been fine for me, I use Lightroom for 99% of my work but I fired up the other Adobe CS6 apps just to be sure they're fine. However, there was a couple little "hiccups"

-Illustrator needed to install an update, not a big deal

-Lightroom has one small bug that I noticed: sometimes it will crash when I'm exporting web-sized JPG files from the Print module (for use on my blog)

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Experience With Mavericks?

I installed Mavericks on one of my iMacs the moment it became available ... no issues with the OS so far ... there is one glitch with Aperture 3.5, using the eyedropper for WB adjustment in the Temperature & Tint mode will render the image very green on the tint slider, though it behaves properly using Skin Tone or Natural Gray.

Everything else I use frequently seems to be just fine. Even InDesign CS3 works very nicely with Mavericks ... which was a pleasant surprise.

I am holding off on updating my Macbook Pro because I have a few big jobs over the next two weeks and will wait until they are delivered to venture forth ...

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Experience With Mavericks?

I upgraded because of the changes to Finder with the ability to use tags and multiple tabs. That works nicely and I haven't had any issues with CS6 or Bridge.

a.RodriguezPix, Epson support went away for my scanner V350 as well, but it now works with an Apple supplied driver. You need to access it from System Preferences / Printers & Scanners. Highlight your scanner and then open it. OSX will create an icon in the dock which you can keep there. Nothing fancy, but it works. The scanner will now create png and pdf files which it didn't with the Epson software.

My Time Machine backup took many tries to finish. It seems that it's taking a lot more room. It finally completed normally, but when I go into TM, all controls are grayed out and I can't choose to restore anything....

I can use Finder to copy back individual files...

I verified all my HD and only had some minor permissions issues on the OSX drive.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Experience With Mavericks?

OntheRez wrote:
I fired off a raging complaint to Apple (not that they give a twit ) about the destruction of sync services. I've never found iCloud (or any cloud) to be trustworthy enough to use as the bases of my data exchanges. I'm holding off for now though I seriously doubt Apple will restore that functionality.

As noted by others, I'll sit it out till at least 10.9.2. I use to be an early adopter/unpaid beta tester, but just don't have the patience for it any more

Robert

Robert, what is the significance of not having sync services ? Is there no way to transfer data by wire anymore ?

I've already got an Android smart phone because Apple wouldn't let me synchronise with an ipod touch or ipad or iphone without using the cloud - at least for some things that were important to me that were not part of itunes.

- Alan

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Experience With Mavericks?

Alan321 wrote:
Robert, what is the significance of not having sync services ? Is there no way to transfer data by wire anymore ?

I've already got an Android smart phone because Apple wouldn't let me synchronise with an ipod touch or ipad or iphone without using the cloud - at least for some things that were important to me that were not part of itunes.

- Alan

I sync my iPhone 5s and iPad via the Cloud or via USB cable to my computer. Photos and video can be downloaded to desktop computer directly via USB using the Image Capture option.

Sal

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Experience With Mavericks?

Sal, I was especially interested in syncing the notes and reminders data, but that data is stored as individual text files and is tied up in a database that I cannot sync. SMS messages are another thing that I wanted to transfer and read on the computer.

Other things like pdf files that are not part of iBook or iTunes are a bit reluctant to sync too, although some non-apple applications can transfer their own data files.

- Alan

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Experience With Mavericks?

At an Apple Store today I was assured that Mavericks can sync the computer and iPhone with or without using the cloud, but in that case I don't yet understand the significance of losing Sync Services or even if it has actually happened and was not simply missing from a beta version. More reading required as well as a bootable backup or two before I upgrade to Mavericks.

I've been messed around twice before with upgrades going wrong and will not attempt one without bootable off-line backups on standby. Luckily, it's relatively much easier to produce such backups in OS X than it is in Windows.

- Alan

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Experience With Mavericks?

I've upgrade 3 macs with zero problems, but I'm hesitating upgrading my MacPro because I don't know if the SAS drivers work or will need updating and if my version of Bru PE will work also. I seem to recall a little pain upgrading from Lion to ML and don't feel like going through that again any time now.

My plan is to clone the SSD boot drive and upgrade a copy first to see what damage it does. While I could restore off the Time Machine backup I'd rather just test a clone first.

Oct 29, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Experience With Mavericks?

I've never had a problem upgrading to a new Mac OS. But in the spirit of famous last words, I bought an internal drive so I can clone my boot drive. It's easy enough to slide the drive into my Mac Pro, but I've never cloned a drive. Is Carbon Copy the best for this? Is the process fairly easy?

Thanks!

Sal

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.