Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

pwoody

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

Shot these at UMBC during their fall ball scrimmage with the United States Naval Academy. It was a very cloudy fall day.

Nikon D7100 300mm 1/2000 f/2.8 ISO 250

Nikon D7100 300mm 1/2000 f/2.8 ISO 320

Nikon D7100 300mm 1/2000 f/2.8 ISO 100

Oct 23, 2013 at 07:46 AM
pwoody

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

Feel free to add some suggestions or comments on these. These look a bit flat to me. I left the ISO low and adjusted the whites to keep the plain white UMBC helmets from looking over-exposed. I'm interested in feedback. Thakns

Oct 23, 2013 at 03:41 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

The colors don't really pop, but that doesn't mean they are off. Your recollection to what was real vs. the images can probably answer your own question the best.

Do you always shoot with a 300 for lacrosse? I ask as my daughter (13 yo) is playing this spring. I am contemplating my lens/body combo. Since it is girls lacrosse, I am thinking my 70-200 2.8 v2 may work on a 1.3 (preferred) or 1.6 crop canon. I am thinking I will be able to be pretty much right on the sidelines for shooting.

Anybody have thoughts on the lens/body combo (canon fwiw).

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

These are nice shots and I like the tight crops. To avoid flatness and add depth & pop I would add some contrast, lift exposure and a tad saturation. I also added detail sharpening to the dirt that's flying at the bottom. All of this of course is subjective and some would argue that it would need more vs less contrast/saturation/etc...

I love the D7100/300 2.8 combo!

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:53 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

I hadn't seen these back in the fall, but my first reaction is that they are under-exposed -- and when I see the shutter speed of 1/2000th, I think that is a big part of the reason. You don't need that much SS to freeze the action. If I had to guess, I would say you had a nice overcast day to shoot (no harsh shadows under the hard-to-shoot lax helmets.) Keep watching your histograms too... if you have too much to the left, you know you are under-exposed.

Rick

Jan 15, 2014 at 06:06 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

rddayton wrote:
I hadn't seen these back in the fall, but my first reaction is that they are under-exposed -- and when I see the shutter speed of 1/2000th, I think that is a big part of the reason. You don't need that much SS to freeze the action. If I had to guess, I would say you had a nice overcast day to shoot (no harsh shadows under the hard-to-shoot lax helmets.) Keep watching your histograms too... if you have too much to the left, you know you are under-exposed.

Rick

yes, looks slightly underexposed to me but easily corrected. I adjust levels, contrast, etc. in processing

Go Terps !

Rebel XSi /450D (old!) and 100-400
@400mm

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8572213160_4d7b1f4cbe_c.jpg

Jan 15, 2014 at 05:49 PM
pwoody

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Navy vs UMBC Fall Lacrosse

Yes, I could have increased my colors a bit. They are a bit drab. It was a while ago, but I do recall it was very cloudy so they are slightly under exposed.

And yes, I love shooting lax with my 300 lens. I have access to a 70-200 as well but I prefer the prime lens. It allows me to step back from the sidelines a bit, which keeps the refs off mu case.

As far as shutter speed, I never go under 1/1600 during the day if I am shooting college or pro. I can slide on that with old club guys and kids, but to really freeze these D1 guys shooting and dodging, it needs to be up that high.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Jan 17, 2014 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.