Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Tom Hicks
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

The stereo pairs are shot with three of my lenses, in quite different places and circumstances. All work better for me if I view from leaning back somewhat in my chair.

Wisteria: EP-2 Olympus ED 4/3 35mm f3.5 macro 1/222 f13 ISO 200 hand-held, diffused sunlight. I waited until the direct sunlight was blocked by a high wall behind the plant. The images have had only slight brightness and contrast processing.

Pink Tree Paeony

The flower was about the size of the palm of my hand. Photographed on a day when the wind was gusting violently, with scarcely a pause - an interesting exercise!

Kiron 105mm f16, 1/250 ISO 200, hand-held, daylight.

Lizard Orchid

On our last day before departure, my wife went for a walk before dinner and returned to give a description of a flower growing in a lane a few minutes walk away. From the description, I though it might be very special but my wife seemed unexcited about it. Anyway, after dinner, in the still-good light, I found it was what I thought, only even better.

It was a Lizard Orchid but it lacked any dark markings. Himantoglossum hircinum has been split into several species which cannot always be separated. This plant was growing in solitary isolation so I don't know if it was typical of its species in the area. Any way, it looks most like the Adriatic Lizard Orchid H. adriaticum.

[Edit] According to Zissis Antonopoulos of the Greek Orchids website, it is a hypochromic Himantoglossum jankae (syn H. caprinum) [Edit ends]

Most important is its "wow" factor, with its delicate, flowing streamers. A very three-dimensional inflorescence, I have tried to represent the impression I had of it.

I was having severe problems with the focusing helicoid of my Elmarit 60mm macro, causing some images to be just out of sharp focus, so I returned the following morning and re-shot some images with my 90mm Leitz Elmarit. Hand-held f22, other EXIF data lost. The just-after-breakfast sunlight is not ideal illumination but we had to be on a plane a couple of hours later and could not wait for it to improve.

Harold

Harold Gough 2013

Wisteria sinensis

Harold Gough 2013

Pink Tree Paeony

Harold Gough 2013

Lizard orchid, a hypochromic Himantoglossum jankae (syn H. caprinum)

Edited on Feb 14, 2014 at 05:12 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

Now a macro pair :

Here is a stereo, showing red stigma, as the fruit capsule of the same paeony flower starts to swell:

Kiron 105mm macro plus Marumi Achromat +5, f16 1/160 ISO 1600, hand-held.

Just to be clear, as with the previous pairs of images, left and right views are each from a single frame, no focus stacking being involved.

Harold Gough 2013

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:08 AM
coder
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

2nd image has the best 3d effect to my eyes.

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

coder wrote:
2nd image has the best 3d effect to my eyes.

Probably because the flower is much deeper than in still air. The petals were being blown about severely in the gusting wind. I had to get the two shots with the petals in the same extended position, this being when they were displaced to the maximum. I am surprised that I got it right and, yes, there were a number of rejected images.

Harold

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:56 PM
coder
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

e6filmuser wrote:
Probably because the flower is much deeper than in still air. The petals were being blown about severely in the gusting wind. I had to get the two shots with the petals in the same extended position, this being when they were displaced to the maximum. I am surprised that I got it right and, yes, there were a number of rejected images.

Harold

Nice job, fighting the wind is no fun.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:34 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3 x 3D Cross-eye stereos of flowers

coder wrote:
Nice job, fighting the wind is no fun.

Thanks. The problem with young tree paeonies in pots is that, in my limited experience, they produce just a single, short-lived, flower and you have to take what opportunity you can to capture it at its best.

Harold

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:49 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password