Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

Brea
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

I've shot almost everything in my life with A mode + exposure compensation, the only time I have used M is when I know I have time. I have a fashion show to shoot which will consist of:

Rehearsal
Make Up
Fashion show
Dance show
Violin
Band

I am in Japan, but left my flash back in Canada... Q.Q so do you guys think I can survive? My equipment is as follows:

5D3, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 IS II F2.8L, 35 F1.4L, 40 F2.8. What should I bring? And what mode should I use? Any advice? Heck I don't even know how to behave, do I just walk around?

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:35 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

I think it's going to depend on the setup.
We just had a four day long fashion week event here that my son was modeling for and while most everyone shooting was managing ok with just ambient light for the runway (runway lights = bright)... Because it was held in giant tents, the backstage light was non-existent and without a flash, you would be in a horrible spot for that. But... Who's to say your event will be in tents? Or not have lights?

That said, I can't imagine going into an event where I don't know the conditions, unprepared to take on a worst possible scenario. Can you rent flashes?

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:45 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

There are camera shops in japan I would think

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Brea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

Here are some of the shots taken last year (some are really horrible though - I didn't take these)
https://www.facebook.com/RoxanaCollection/photos_stream

I could buy a new flash, but it's seriously not within my budget to do so.

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

Speaking to guys that do this at good fashion shows the light will be set accurately for good pictures. The biggst problem is timing you shots with the walking so they don't look odd.

Oct 23, 2013 at 07:02 AM
SLD
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

Just bring your 5D III, 35/1.4L and 70-200/2.8L IS II you should be fine, using the 35/1.4L for make up shots mainly or if you need a big picture for the show etc.. then using the 70-200 for all other shots...

If it's a high end fashion show you shouldn't be worried about the lighting--the quality and evenness etc., try to shoot in M mode, as you have the rehearsal, so you can have a basic idea about how to setup your SS, F-stop and ISO, with 5D III's high ISO ability, try shoot the lens wide open @ f/2.8 and keep the SS higher, say 1/250 at least when shooting the walk and dance... also try to set the WB in Kelvin for consistency etc..

As someone mentioned about, get the best timing to shoot cat-walk show is the KEY....

Good luck and don't forget to post some amazing pics etc...

Here're shots from 2010
http://www.pbase.com/imagebypeter/image/122067542/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/imagebypeter/image/122068522/original.jpg
as this is a wedding forum and here's another one
http://www.pbase.com/imagebypeter/image/122085732/original.jpg

Cheers

Oct 23, 2013 at 08:07 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

I love shooting fashion shows. Most of the time, you do not need any off camera lighting. The biggest piece of advice I can give you for the actual show part is this:

Pick a spot on the runway where the light is how you want it. Get someone to stand in that spot, and set your exposure. Use a piece of tape or something to help you know where that spot is. Pre-focus with a long lens and stop down for extra dof. Wait for them to hit that spot, and machine gun 4-5 frames Do the same thing for each one. Easy peasy, and 1) it will work and 2) it will look consistent (which is very important)

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

As for the rest of it, just shoot candids and act like you are supposed to be there. You are probably going to see some lady-bits in the getting ready process, and if you don't act like it's a big deal, they won't be wierded out by you being there. Just do your thing with confidence and you will be fine.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shooting a fashion show with no flash, tips and what mode to use?

You should be just fine with a 5d3 without flash.

Time your shots where the light on the stage is best. if there are two locations, but lighting differs, find your exposures for both locations, and then be prepared to toggle back and forth between those two exposures the entire show.

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.