Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

x-box

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

Hi guys, please advice me,
Long story short, I have 5d mark iii, I tried 4,5 copies of canon 50mm f1.4 and 2 copies of sigma 50mm f1.4; the canon version all need +10 ~ +17 AFMA, and the value still various depends on distance; the two sigma version I tried are >+20 which is out of the AFMA range; ( I use FOCAL software got those value)
As they all shows need + AFMA, So I figured out it's the body need calibrate, so First i sent the body to FIXATION in London(which is canon's authorised repair dealer), the report says: "reset functions all appear ok, fault maybe with lens; "
So, I got the camera back and sent lens( the canon 50mm 1.4) to them, they phoned me today say they found no fault with the lens and suggest me send both body and lens to them;

The reason I didn't sent both body and lens to them is because I want to figure out what exactly the problem is as I want a proper calibrated body, i don't want the body to match that particular lens---because I think that way will mean all my up coming lens will not be able to focus properly even they are perfect, they will all need to be calibrated to match the body)

I may wrong, but I still think the problem maybe with the body, I don't really want to send back to FIXATION anymore, I don't think the guy at fixation checked the body properly ,(please correct me if I'm wrong).instead, I'm thinking of sending the body directly to cannon center to check/calibrate, what you guys think? Any suggestion please ?

Many thanks in advance!
Henry

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:33 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

hard to say, the 50mm from canon is dodgy and with sigma who knows

can you try a couple other lenses and see what they need. if they all need like +15 or more then the body seems to be uncomfortably far off, if the rest are all like +1 to +12 then maybe the sigma 50mm is simply too far out of calibration

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:53 PM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

Haven't been there for a while, but Fixation has a very high reputation. I highly doubt that they would adjust camera or lens uniquely one to the other, rather it is after checking both independently and not having found a problem, they want to see what it is in the combination that is creating the problem. I would send in both as requested and specifically ask them to tell you what they find. I have had Canon CPS make the same request with a 5D2 and a 100-400L.

...and yes, the 50 f/1.4 can be a dodgy hit and miss frustration.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM
x-box

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

I know the canon 50 1.4 is dodgy, but if one show + one show -, that's probabely the lens, but they all show + makes m wonder it's the body

Oct 23, 2013 at 08:16 AM
x-box

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

skibum5 wrote:
hard to say, the 50mm from canon is dodgy and with sigma who knows

can you try a couple other lenses and see what they need. if they all need like +15 or more then the body seems to be uncomfortably far off, if the rest are all like +1 to +12 then maybe the sigma 50mm is simply too far out of calibration

Not really, as I don't have other lens yet, maybe need to rent a lens?

Oct 23, 2013 at 09:38 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

How long have you had the body, if bought new it should still be under warranty and in the UK it is up to the retailer to sort the problem out; either way you should send your body and lens direct to Canon at Elstree.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

Canon does not just adjust a lens to your body. They FIRST adjust your body correctly and then adjust the lens on your body. If you send them the lens only, they adjust it on a reference body that is accurately adjusted.

Send them both, they know what they are doing and have a system that works.

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:13 AM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

One word in Fixation's reply that, if I were in your shoes, would not sit well with me and it's "all 'appears' ok" (the word appears) which says to me they really don't know for sure. The word appears is one of those wishy washy words that's used when one does not really know for sure. I'd be skeptical. I'd send it in to Canon for sure.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:22 AM
x-box

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

Methodical wrote:
One word in Fixation's reply that, if I were in your shoes, would not sit well with me and it's "all 'appears' ok" (the word appears) which says to me they really don't know for sure. The word appears is one of those wishy washy words that's used when one does not really know for sure. I'd be skeptical. I'd send it in to Canon for sure.

Exactly, no wonder somehow I just got the feeling that they didn't check my camera properly; I already sent my camera body to canon to ask them double check/calibrate, I didn't send the lens as I'm not going to keep that lens.
Figure crossed.

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Methodical
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

x-box wrote:
Exactly, no wonder somehow I just got the feeling that they didn't check my camera properly; I already sent my camera body to canon to ask them double check/calibrate, I didn't send the lens as I'm not going to keep that lens.
Figure crossed.

I think you will be satisfied. I had to send my 1D4 to Canon and they said the focus assembly was out of spec. I knew something was wrong because when I got the 5D3 and shot some football games, it was focusing consistently, but the 1D4 was not.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM
zaix

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

Unlivable that I have finally found the topic with the issue with 50 1.4 (canon's) and a person who has noticed the issue. I have read a lot of reviews, check on other forums, but no one, even in any test, showed the huge problem with this lens.

I have 5d3 and tested 7 (!!!) different copies of 50 1.4. All lens tested in different time, all from different batches.

Every 50 1.4 lens I have tested, behaved similar:

1/ I could not set proper AFMA, because it is completely different on different distance for this lens. So any adjusting was useless.
2/ The lens has an obvious focus shift, which no one mention in any test. When focusing on distance up to 1 meter, when I change the aperture from 1.4 to ie. 3,5 or 4(while the AFMA was set on that particular distance at f1.4) the whole focus plane shifts back! It back focuses in the way that the target area is blurry and out of focus(whole dof is behind target). The lens is useless at short distance.
3/ Completely unreliable on other lighting environments-bulb light and fluorescent light.

TESTED 7 copies with tripod, LensCal, and all behaved in exactly the same way.
I sent 3 copies to canon service and neither was fixed or adjusted properly. All "were OK" according to Canon. Sent camera too for adjust, also with lens. Nothing was done to fix the issue.

Nov 02, 2013 at 03:31 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D mark iii need calibrate?

If you don't plan to buy another lens soon, just send in your body & lens together.
Why make it difficult?
If you are getting another lens, send all three in together.
Simple solutions are usually the best.

Nov 02, 2013 at 07:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password