Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

jeremy bs wrote:
I must be missing something, what does this mean as I seem to able to set the shutter to what ever in auto iso ?

Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO
“When shooting in Auto ISO mode, Firmware Update Version 2.0 delivers an extended shutter speed range, enabling the photographer to shoot at speeds up to 1/8000 sec. (With Auto ISO set, the previous minimum shutter speed was 1/250 second). Thanks to the new firmware, it is now possible to shoot with Auto ISO and still be capable of capturing fast action.”

Currently if you are using Av mode and you set Auto ISO, you can only tell it to go no slower than 1/250 minimum. Now you can go as fast as you like. This is absolutely wonderful, as 1/250 was pathetic when using long glass especially. I'd typically set it to a minimum of 1/1000 -1/2000 depending on FL, speed of subject, light levels etc.

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:55 AM
rolette
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Currently if you are using Av mode and you set Auto ISO, you can only tell it to go no slower than 1/250 minimum. Now you can go as fast as you like. This is absolutely wonderful, as 1/250 was pathetic when using long glass especially. I'd typically set it to a minimum of 1/1000 -1/2000 depending on FL, speed of subject, light levels etc.

Hmph. Something odd here... As far as I understand it, 1/250 as the max value for min shutter speed (say that 3 times fast!) is only a 5D3 limit. It certainly isn't the limit on the 1D4 so it would be odd for Canon to have restricted it on the 1DX.

I shoot in AV + Auto-ISO with min shutter speed configured to either 1/500 or 1/1000 frequently for sports. It's a convenient way to get around the limitation of no EC with M + Auto-ISO. Works great. I just double checked and I can set the min shutter speed as fast as 1/4000. The only real restriction on this C.Fn on the 1D4 is that it won't let me use 1/3 or 1/2 stop values.

Seems like they mixed in a planned change for the 5D3 in there. Someone with a 1DX want to verify real quick what you can set min shutter speed to? C.Fn I-12 on the 1D4, not sure if it is the exact same on 1DX or not.

Jay

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
svetljo

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Hi Jay,

this is completely different setting, restricting shutter speed on the body no matter if you use Auto-ISO or not, page 3 http://www.robgalbraith.com/images/eos-1d_mark_iii_c.fn_i-ii.pdf

on the 1Dx there is a separate setting for Auto-ISO shutter speed, which is now limited to 1/250

PS.
http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_AutoISO.mshtml

Shutter Speed

Until now, one problem that kept many pros away from Auto ISO was that there was no meaningful control over how slow a shutter speed might be selected in low-light conditions. But with Canon’s recently introduced SLRs, the photographer can tailor Auto ISO to give exactly this type of control. A separate menu entry, Minimum shutter speed, provides the following settings:

Auto: Camera will continue to try to maintain a shutter speed of at least 1 over the lens focal length, changing ISO to maintain this as long as possible. The camera will tend to pick lower ISOs and slower speeds when using standard or wide-angle lenses.
User-defined shutter speed: Photographer can pick a speed from 1 second to 1/250 of a second and the camera will only go below this shutter speed after it has raised its ISO to the highest available setting, based on Maximum ISO set by the user under Auto ISO range.

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM
rolette
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Didn't realize there were specific settings for Auto-ISO on the newer cameras.

Completely off-topic, but it feels very odd to say "newer cameras" and exclude my 1D4

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
svetljo

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

rolette wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Didn't realize there were specific settings for Auto-ISO on the newer cameras.

Completely off-topic, but it feels very odd to say "newer cameras" and exclude my 1D4

Oct 29, 2013 at 01:02 PM
jeremy bs

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

rolette wrote:

Many thanks I have fallen in

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Larate
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd like to have a "smarter" (if a machine can be smart :')) auto ISO mode that would take account of stabilised lenses. I had big hopes with this f/w. Alas, they remains big hopes !

Nota: sure the other features are welcomed. But too often I have images at too high ISO, while using a stabilised lens. Because it happens at the end of the day, when fast changing lights put me in a rush !

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Artstar

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

PetKal wrote:
This public fora myth seems to be spreading: batteries do not "drive AF". Camera and lens control circuits "drive AF".

Similarly, your 100 W stereo amplifier would not sound any louder/better if you plugged it into a European 220 Vac wall outlet.

Though without an adequate power supply, those control circuits will not be able to drive the AF as intended. Taking a different approach to your analogy, your 100W stereo amplifier will not put out 100W if it's plugged into an inadequate power supply.

In the case of the 1D-X, the camera drives the lens and the lens in turn drives the ultrasonic motors. Now there are two paths with which Canon could approach the AF drive:

a) Produce motors which require even less power for the same amount of operating speed and torque required.
b) Increase the output of the power supply feeding the motors and particularly the electrical current output performance of the battery (i.e. further decrease the internal resistance).

Unless any massive advancements have been made to the motors and/or the control circuitry, option b would be the more feasible one. Hence, the nominal voltage of 11.1V for the LP-E4N and the nominal capacity of 2450mAh. The additional power output from the battery allows for more power to make its way to the lens motors. It's no different to how a battery grip with dual batteries in other models marginally increases the shooting performance of those respective cameras - higher power output due to the ability to split the current delivered between the two batteries, thereby proportionally combating the internal resistance.

In summary, you can't have one without the other. I agree that the control circuitry is crucial to the AF and shooting rate performance but it's not achievable without a good power supply behind it.

Getting back on topic though, it's definitely going to be an exciting firmware release which I'll definitely be taking advantage of. Nice one Canon!

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:39 PM
SteveF
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Just got my camera back from service for the mirror issue.

Still 1.x - of course it is more than a month away, but thought I'd check.

Nov 10, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Artstar

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

I believe Canon really meant it when they said January 2014.

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Well I'm impressed. Additional features added to existing cameras via firmware updates have been as rare as hens' teeth. Nearly always the best you can hope for is a bug fix or wait until a newer model comes out with the feature that you want.

Now, if only they would let me use smaller AF sensors in my 1D4 without having to press a button on a super tele lens (i.e. make it an in-camera option such as they did on the 7D before the 1D4 was released) then I'd be super impressed.

- Alan

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:16 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

The best DSLR in the world by some margin just got better.
Well that is unless you can afford a 6000 dollar camera but cant afford a hard drive to store the uncropped files on..lol.
Seriously..
Nikon uses crop mode as it allows lower throughput cameras to shoot at high fps at lower rez.
It allows them to advertise the D800 as a 6 fps camera in dx mode...ie for marketing.
It has nothing to do with helping us out on drive space..
Id still rather crop myself as if your target rapidly approches you and you cut its head off in crop mode you would never have that issue on the ull frame sensor self cropping in post.
Way way more flexibility and way less lost shots.
If you think Nikon does DX mode to save us drive space think again its all about numbers..fps numbers so a slow poor fps camera can be advertized as something it isnt...

Nov 10, 2013 at 06:35 AM
Artstar

p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

dehowie wrote:
Id still rather crop myself as if your target rapidly approches you and you cut its head off in crop mode you would never have that issue on the ull frame sensor self cropping in post.

Forgive my ignorance here but surely with practice, one can avoid that kind of trouble to begin with?

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password