Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

ggreene wrote:
[Actually I don't even need the Sony class sensor. Just give me a 7D2 with a 24MP 1.6x sensor, 10FPS, 1DX class AF, and 1DX type battery to drive AF at it's fastest.

This public fora myth seems to be spreading: batteries do not "drive AF". Camera and lens control circuits "drive AF".

Similarly, your 100 W stereo amplifier would not sound any louder/better if you plugged it into a European 220 Vac wall outlet.

1DX (with any lens on it) will out-focus a lower grade camera such as 7D not because 1DX might have a higher capacity battery, but because 1DX has more advanced AF system.

Edited on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Gust wrote:
...they don't yell more, they pay more!

And schmooze with the influential.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Ahh.. but if you charge the batteries with 220v, you can shoot longer

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

PetKal wrote:
This public fora myth seems to be spreading: batteries do not "drive AF". Camera and lens control circuits "drive AF".

Similarly, your 100 W stereo amplifier would not sound any louder/better if you plugged it into a European 220 Vac wall outlet.

1DX (with any lens on it) will out-focus a lower grade camera such as 7D not because 1DX might have a higher capacity battery, but because 1DX has more advanced AF system.

Peter,

You have a lot more experience with 1-series cameras than I do, so I would generally defer to your opinion. However, Chuck Westfall has said that "EOS-1D X achieves a higher lens motor drive speed with select L-series USM telephoto lenses than the 5D Mark III because of the 1D Xs more powerful battery pack."

Link: http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/AH_CW_interview/

Now, what exactly "select" lenses means is not expounded upon.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Mitesh, I can't tell why is that Westfall's response written that way.
However, as a matter of principle, when it comes to EOS technical issues, I tend to place faith on engineering info published by Canon Inc. Japan, by the very folks who designed, built and tested the equipment, and not on secondary & tertiary interpretations and understandings by Canon's regional distributors.
When Canon Inc. is silent on an issue, then it is harder to understand what's going on.

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:04 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

That's a good list of changes, and I hope as many as possible make it to the 5d3 because there's several there I've been asking for *for years*...

.. although if I was being unkind I'd say that the cameras (especially the 1dx) shouldn't have been released without several of these. Sorry Canon.. but thank you for delivering them finally anyway

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:51 PM
rolette
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

skibum5 wrote:
Or better, since there is no need to dump those for the ones who do like them, just add crop modes in addition. sRAW/mRAW don't give extra reach and retaining the whole frame is an awful waste of space and processing power for heavily distance limited shooting.

You know that in-camera crop modes (ala Nikon) don't provide any extra reach either, right?

I'm not saying that as the ever-so-tiresome argument about whether crop sensors provide "reach" or not. Looking at it from the fact "crop mode" really is just throwing away pixels. You get no additional pixels-on-a-duck like you would moving to a higher pixel-density sensor on a crop body.

Crop modes are useful for in-camera framing/composition, but that's it. No help at all in focal length limited situations.

Oct 23, 2013 at 02:47 PM
speedmaster20d
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

mitesh wrote:
Peter,

You have a lot more experience with 1-series cameras than I do, so I would generally defer to your opinion. However, Chuck Westfall has said that "EOS-1D X achieves a higher lens motor drive speed with select L-series USM telephoto lenses than the 5D Mark III because of the 1D Xs more powerful battery pack."

Link: http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/AH_CW_interview/

Now, what exactly "select" lenses means is not expounded upon.

Mitesh,

The AF module in 1DX and 5D3 are exactly the same unit with the same part number and sub-mirror assembly, however 1DX achieves a faster servo drive speed with super telephoto lenses because the USM in the lens is driven at higher voltage as Chuck explained. That is the main difference between 5D3 and 1DX AF performance, especially when driving a super telephoto.

Oct 23, 2013 at 04:12 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Looks like a great update to an already great camera. My only wish would have been to add a true silent shutter option (like the 5d III has). But that might not even be physically possible given the heavier duty shutter box.

Oct 23, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

"Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO In response to user feedback, this improved functionality in Auto ISO enables photographers to select a minimum shutter speed as high as 1/8000th of a second to freeze moving subjects."

Please pretty please give that to us with the 5D3.

Oct 23, 2013 at 06:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bigrob

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Well I'm hoping for a truly awesome 7D II, with say 22-24MP APS-H in a Sony class sensor ( 36-40MP FF equivalent) and 1D X class AF (post fw 2) for my birding and wildlife camera, as well as of course the high MP FF camera.

Oh yes please but I can't see Canon ever going back to APS-H.

Anyway what hasn't been mentioned in this thread is

Display Protected Images Only Users can now page through protected images only via an option on the main dial. This feature already exists with rated images, and is an expansion of that capability.

This will be great for many sports photographers, who chimp, lock (i.e. protect) and then only import those locked ones.

Oct 23, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

This must be the best firmware upgrade ever, in a Canon camera. Great news

Oct 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

rolette wrote:
You know that in-camera crop modes (ala Nikon) don't provide any extra reach either, right?

I'm not saying that as the ever-so-tiresome argument about whether crop sensors provide "reach" or not. Looking at it from the fact "crop mode" really is just throwing away pixels. You get no additional pixels-on-a-duck like you would moving to a higher pixel-density sensor on a crop body.

Crop modes are useful for in-camera framing/composition, but that's it. No help at all in focal length limited situations.

We know that, we said we want the crop mode because we don't want to waste filling up ten hard drives with all the outer garbage, if we are reach limited why do we need to store all the outer FF junk when all we need it the APS-C area portion (or even less)? That is why the Nikon crop mode is good (if the speed was processing limited and not mirror box limited it might also allow for higher fps since there is less data to process) because it saves storage space.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

PetKal wrote:
Mitesh, I can't tell why is that Westfall's response written that way.
However, as a matter of principle, when it comes to EOS technical issues, I tend to place faith on engineering info published by Canon Inc. Japan, by the very folks who designed, built and tested the equipment, and not on secondary & tertiary interpretations and understandings by Canon's regional distributors.
When Canon Inc. is silent on an issue, then it is harder to understand what's going on.

I can't remember where I read it but someone said that the 1DX was able to drive the AF of the 85L 1.2 faster then previous 1D bodies and they referenced Westfall's quote in the blog/article. While certainly not any kind of proof it was an interesting read as the person sounded like they had a lot of 1D experience.

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

skibum5 wrote:
We know that, we said we want the crop mode because we don't want to waste filling up ten hard drives with all the outer garbage, if we are reach limited why do we need to store all the outer FF junk when all we need it the APS-C area portion (or even less)? That is why the Nikon crop mode is good (if the speed was processing limited and not mirror box limited it might also allow for higher fps since there is less data to process) because it saves storage space.

I agree, and also the framing shows up in the Nikon so you can clearly see what's going to be cropped. It's just to saved wasted HDD space.

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:12 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

ggreene wrote:
I can't remember where I read it but someone said that the 1DX was able to drive the AF of the 85L 1.2 faster then previous 1D bodies and they referenced Westfall's quote in the blog/article. While certainly not any kind of proof it was an interesting read as the person sounded like they had a lot of 1D experience.

Not sure if this is the thread you meant but it confirms what you are saying about AF speed.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1190851/0

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:49 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

read through everything & was super excited, until i re-read the part about it coming out in Jan 2014..

the 1DX is already a nearly perfect camera for my all-around usage, improving the AI performance in low-light seems almost too good to be true =)

Oct 24, 2013 at 07:22 AM
xtralight

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Good to know that I was not the only one to notice that AF in very low light was better in One Shot than AI Servo with my 1DX. But I wonder if it will make it as good as my D800e AF or my friend's D4 in very low light?

And I am very happy that in Auto ISO I can now set an exposure compensation like the Nikon D4!

Oct 24, 2013 at 01:16 PM
Herb
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

I have had many other Canon digital SLRs and by far the 1Dx is absolutely the best camera I have ever had. Thanks Canon! Keep the improvements coming!

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:02 AM
jeremy bs

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

I must be missing something, what does this mean as I seem to able to set the shutter to what ever in auto iso ?

Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO
When shooting in Auto ISO mode, Firmware Update Version 2.0 delivers an extended shutter speed range, enabling the photographer to shoot at speeds up to 1/8000 sec. (With Auto ISO set, the previous minimum shutter speed was 1/250 second). Thanks to the new firmware, it is now possible to shoot with Auto ISO and still be capable of capturing fast action.

Oct 29, 2013 at 08:25 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password