New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Clearly it's a wonderful set of enhancements and the only bummer is having to wait nearly 3 months to get hold of it.

I think the EC in M mode with Auto ISO should be rolled out to all cameras but especially the 1D IV, 5D III, 7D, 1D III and 5D II. That's the easy change and this "feature" should not be seen as a high end only capability.

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

StillFingerz wrote:
They're not the same. The 1DX's AF has an extra CPU, Canon is just giving their 'FLAGSHIP' model an expensive update due to feedback from the field, 'real use' not just pre-sales testing. They seem to be listening to the folks that use both both X and C bodies. Perhaps 1DX and 1DC owners just yell louder then 5D3 owners do

It's more just a case of the flagships getting the updates first as they did when they added AF @ f/8. 1D X/C got the change 6 months before the 5D III. I think if you are paying the sort of money they charge for the 1D X/C you probably feel you should get the VIP treatment. I have no doubt most of these changes will come to the 5D III but alas it may not be for another 6-9 months IMO.

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:34 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
It's more just a case of the flagships getting the updates first as they did when they added AF @ f/8. 1D X/C got the change 6 months before the 5D III. I think if you are paying the sort of money they charge for the 1D X/C you probably feel you should get the VIP treatment. I have no doubt most of these changes will come to the 5D III but alas it may not be for another 6-9 months IMO.

+1

One of the best firmware updates! Sweet!

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

StillFingerz wrote:
They're not the same. The 1DX's AF has an extra CPU, Canon is just giving their 'FLAGSHIP' model an expensive update due to feedback from the field, 'real use' not just pre-sales testing. They seem to be listening to the folks that use both both X and C bodies. Perhaps 1DX and 1DC owners just yell louder then 5D3 owners do

The 1DX only uses the DIGIC IV chip when you set it to the AF mode that uses color info from the RGB metering system, so as I said, the same AF other than for that mode.

(although I guess since the mirror black out and fps are different they might have to tune a few parameters a touch differently, I don't know if the slower fps and longer blackout cancel out and make it like the 1DX or not quite; I guess they might have to retweak a few things for the 5D3 version and, potentially, a couple settings might not apply due to the already lower fps on the 5D3, although then again maybe the longer mirror blackout puts it back into a similar scenario?)

I don't know that they yell louder, they just don't want to lose any face with the serious sports crowd who almost jumped ship after the 1D3 (many did, for a while at least) and they have to respond to that, the 5D3 user they can get away with not responding to on this since they can still point to it working better overall than on the 5D2 or 7D.

Perhaps it will come to the 5D3, although last time they mentioned both in the same release (maybe they figure they get less flack for holding off 5D3 if they simply announce it much later rather than upfront put clearly placing it after the 1DX?).

The EC thing should've been done ages ago.

Edited on Oct 22, 2013 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:19 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Clearly it's a wonderful set of enhancements and the only bummer is having to wait nearly 3 months to get hold of it.

I think the EC in M mode with Auto ISO should be rolled out to all cameras but especially the 1D IV, 5D III, 7D, 1D III and 5D II. That's the easy change and this "feature" should not be seen as a high end only capability.

seriously they should roll it down to the rebels even, all the others do and it's a 1 penny feature

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:20 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

skibum5 wrote:
The 1DX only uses the DIGIC IV chip when you set it to the AF mode that uses color info from the RGB metering system, so as I said, the same AF other than for that mode.

(although I guess since the mirror black out and fps are different they might have to tune a few parameters a touch differently, I don't know if the slower fps and longer blackout cancel out and make it like the 1DX or not quite; I guess they might have to retweak a few things for the 5D3 version and, potentially, a couple settings might
...Show more

No they are not the same, anyone that knows about 'threading' understands that TWO CPU's can and do process threads quicker than ONE CPU doing all the threading...easy stuff...comp sci 101...sorry you are incorrect...more pipes equal more throughput...the second CPU does offload part of the processing...a wild arse guess says this might make the coding a bit more streamlined and faster...and distributed thru all CPUs.

Unless these are single-threading CPUs...which I highly doubt

And, no doubt the 'extra' coding could be extended to lower models, PP's list; 1DIII/IV, 5D2/3 and 7D seem reasonable, I doubt anything but the 5D3 will get the extra effort; monies if it's deemed viable 'bottom-line-wise' by the bean counters...newer models will as well, like the yet released 1DXs, 5D4, 7D2, etc.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

StillFingerz wrote:
No they are not the same, anyone that knows about 'threading' understands that TWO CPU's can and do process threads quicker than ONE CPU doing all the threading...easy stuff...comp sci 101...sorry you are incorrect...more pipes equal more throughput...the second CPU does offload part of the processing...a wild arse guess says this might make the coding a bit more streamlined and faster...and distributed thru all CPUs.

Unless these are single-threading CPUs...which I highly doubt

They don't use the Digics for normal AF so there is no talk about 1 digic AF vs 2 digic AF.

They use the main CPU on lower end cameras or a dedicated AF CPU for the higher end cameras and supposedly the 1DX and 5D3 use the same dedicated AF CPU.

The only difference is that the 1DX also has a special mode where it uses color tracking information and all AF points at once using both the AF sensor and the hi-res RGB color metering sensor (the latter the 5D3 lacks). The 1DX uses the Digic IV it has to do image processing on the input from the hi-res RGB color metering sensor. The only time the AF uses more than the AF CPU is for that special 1DX AF mode. For regular AF modes both 1DX and 5D3 simple use a single AF CPU, supposedly the same one.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Yep, the digic V+'s aren't used for AF on the 1D X and 5D III and similarly on the 1D IV and 7D the dual digic IV's ar en't used for AF. In all cases the AF is handled by the dedicated AF CPU and only 1D X has a fourth CPU to handle the 100000 pixel colour metering sensor.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Sounds like a pretty solid FW release. I am especially interested in the improvement for AI-Servo AF performance in low light. Hopefully in early January so I can test it out on more indoor games.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

I just wish the FW update could add another 6MP as well. A 24MP 1D X would be pretty darn sweet.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:05 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yep, the digic V+'s aren't used for AF on the 1D X and 5D III and similarly on the 1D IV and 7D the dual digic IV's ar en't used for AF. In all cases the AF is handled by the dedicated AF CPU and only 1D X has a fourth CPU to handle the 100000 pixel colour metering sensor.

Four CPUs is good, not the same as the others...hmmm

I do hope some of the 1DX updates make it down to the 'lower' models, CLP's discount on the 5D3 w/24-105L is just under $3100, that's with taxes and shipping to SoCal, and refurb's; body and/or lens, have a 1yr warranty. I've got 2K saved, should have the rest by 1st of year...just in time for spring flora

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:12 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I just wish the FW update could add another 6MP as well. A 24MP 1D X would be pretty darn sweet.

I'm really hoping for 36+ MP for even greater reach but with the ability to crop in camera. If I'm FL limited I don't want to store a bunch of wasted pixels.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

ggreene wrote:
I'm really hoping for 36+ MP for even greater reach but with the ability to crop in camera. If I'm FL limited I don't want to store a bunch of wasted pixels.

Well I'm hoping for a truly awesome 7D II, with say 22-24MP APS-H in a Sony class sensor ( 36-40MP FF equivalent) and 1D X class AF (post fw 2) for my birding and wildlife camera, as well as of course the high MP FF camera.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:47 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

ggreene wrote:

Yes, Canon needs to dump the whole sRAW/mRAW compromises (they are not really all that efficient and not really fully RAW quality). Or better, since there is no need to dump those for the ones who do like them, just add crop modes in addition. sRAW/mRAW don't give extra reach and retaining the whole frame is an awful waste of space and processing power for heavily distance limited shooting. I just hope they haven't decided that is Nikon's way and not the Canon way or some such nonsense.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:11 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

some professionals find mraw/sraw super useful.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:28 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

big country wrote:
some professionals find mraw/sraw super useful.

as I said, it would be better to keep it for those who do, and simply add the crop option as well, there is no technical reason whatsoever it has to be either or (if it was either/or I'd be cropped all the way though), they can simply add cropped as an option

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:32 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

skibum5 wrote:
as I said, it would be better to keep it for those who do, and simply add the crop option as well, there is no technical reason whatsoever it has to be either or (if it was either/or I'd be cropped all the way though), they can simply add cropped as an option

Leave Nikon in the dust, give us a 'user-selected', variable crop option. Loose the 1.3, 1.5, 1.6x, let us choose. Press a dedicated 'Crop' button, LCD displays a FF view, the QCD adjusts the crop factor, the set button locks it in until you reset. Combine this option with the 'Custom' options on the mode dial if you'd like to have easy presets.

This begs the question, are 'fewer bigger pixels' better than 'more smaller pixels', perhaps put this 'variable crop' on all bodies; or have we 'out grown' even the 24x36 sensor

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:48 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well I'm hoping for a truly awesome 7D II, with say 22-24MP APS-H in a Sony class sensor ( 36-40MP FF equivalent) and 1D X class AF (post fw 2) for my birding and wildlife camera, as well as of course the high MP FF camera.

Actually I don't even need the Sony class sensor. Just give me a 7D2 with a 24MP 1.6x sensor, 10FPS, 1DX class AF, and 1DX type battery to drive AF at it's fastest. Be a great companion body for the 1DX. I know a lot of photographers that would jump at that in the $3000 range.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

Is it just me or is it a brilliant time to be a Canon user.
Amazing lens line up backed up by a superb body in the 1Dx.
If you have used one as much as me you will know exactly where im coming from and combining the weight reductions in the big primes plus a lens like the 200-400 gives you just about all you could ask.
Great to see support through the body cycle it shows Canon has matured a lot over the last 10 years.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Gust
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon EOS-1D X Firmware 2.0

StillFingerz wrote:

they don't yell more, they pay more!

Oct 23, 2013 at 04:58 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.