Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wolf’s Milk Slime Mould Lycogala epidendrum

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wolf’s Milk Slime Mould Lycogala epidendrum

Slime moulds are in the Amoebozoa group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoebozoa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slime_moulds

Thus, they are more related to animals than are the fungi (once consired to be insect-like in some characteristics). Slime moulds, Myxomycetes (similar names are used for fungi), have resting and active stages and the latter can be quite colourful and of photogenic morphology. The species featured here is less spectacular than some but it has its interesting points.

These images were taken in the autumn but species can be found in all seasons, in much the same habitats where fungi are found.

This is one of the few instances where I have found my Olympus 35mm AF digital macro lens better than alternatives.

I found this species, which gets its name from its resemblance to the breasts of a lactating wolf, growing in a beech wood in November. (I have no clear record but it is likely that I used the Olympus 4/3 35mm macro, in manual focus mode and the camera , E-P2, was hand-held).

The mould was found again on Christmas Eve. This time I used a tripod, exposure times longer than one second being indicated at ISO 400, with the Olympus 35mm macro 4/3 AF on the E-P2. I set 8 seconds anti-shock delay and used AF.

The coloured bodies are a few mm across.

Having photographed the organism looking rather good on Christmas Eve, I was wondering, on Boxing Day morning, whether I could do better. However, it was now starting to dry out at the end of this active period.

The hardware was the same as for the previous set and the exposures were similar.

All are daylight exposures. Images have been cropped for composition.

I now have only processed JPEGs of these images, which were not processed to my current standards, and may show less detail than is their potential. They had been lost and I had to copy them back from a post on another website where I had previously published them. The RAW files have also been lost, so that I cannot redo them. In view of the rarity of imaging these stages, and subject inherant interest, I feel justified in posting them.

© Harold Gough 2013

In November, hand-held

© Harold Gough 2013

Christmas Eve 0.5 second f7 tripod

© Harold Gough 2013

Christmas eve 2 seconds f11 tripod

© Harold Gough 2013

Boxing Day tripod

© Harold Gough 2013

Boxing Day tripod

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:08 AM
MarkB1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wolf’s Milk Slime Mould Lycogala epidendrum

Never could get excited about slime moulds.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:53 PM
e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wolf’s Milk Slime Mould Lycogala epidendrum

MarkB1 wrote:
Never could get excited about slime moulds.

The prospect of such images as these really does not excite you?

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/ceratiomyxa/Interesting

Harold

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password