Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

seckinjo

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

Longtime lurker; I've learned a lot here. Just a 'dwac' (dad with a camera) trying to get better. C&C appreciated.

1. Two giraffes and one ham

2. Playground pause

3. Her

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 07:17 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

Welcome to FM and glad to see you crossed the line from lurker to poster! These are all nice shots of your daughter, definitely looks like she had a great time at the zoo, even with you taking a bunch of pics of her. Trust me, I'm the same, but the look my kids give me is a little stronger and more exasperated than your daughter's big smile.

If I offered one piece of advice, it would be to find the light you need to do the photo without your on-camera flash.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:17 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

What fun! My fave is #2, that's a really nice photo of your daughter. I like the composition with her placed according to rule of thirds, but looking back across the frame.

I'm not normally a fan of on camera flash, but the balance looks good in this shot.

How are your Photoshop skills? I'd be tempted to clone out the man pushing the stroller.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

these are nice photos of your daughter and welcome to Honolulu!

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:50 PM

Vince Muehe

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

I think the flash is balanced nicely. The shadows really aren't that noticeable. The stroller... so deep in the bokeh, I'm not sure it matters. It also adds to the environment. Personally, I like the big eyes in #3. #2 may be an all-around better photo. Nice job. Cute kid!

Oct 27, 2013 at 02:36 PM
seckinjo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

Thanks to each of you for the helpful advice and comments. I'm still learning to see (and seize) the light. And also how to make my own or cajole my kids into good light! Never cloned before, so I took a balky stab at erasing the stroller and ended up more thoroughly pp'ing the image.

I like the result. But it's quite different from the original scene (main change: I masked the foreground and threw the hue slider to the left).

Which raises a question: how much deviation from "reality" is "Ok"? I shoot to capture moments with my daughters. "Capture" = record faithfully, no? On the other hand (especially as they are inexorably growing up and away), it's about feeling too and I'm tending to want to idealize the moment. With the edits here, she stands out more to adore and perhaps the colors better match her pensive mood.

So generally, what say you: verisimilitude or feeling? I suppose it's not one or the other, but how do you draw the balance? Any guideposts? Having girls, I guess I'm somewhat leery of *too much* post-processing, given the 'Shopped ad blitz they'll face later, if that makes sense. But imagination is a wonderful thing, and maybe this has just been incoherent late night newbie rambling ....

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

Welcome to the Land of the Posters .
I love the set!
As a Dad, you have multiple reasons to be proud.
Remember- there's no reason you can't experiment and keep ALL of the results.
Post the ones you want.
Frame the ones you want.
But keep them all.
And always keep the originals AS TAKEN. Make copies and work from them.
Charlie

Nov 01, 2013 at 08:39 PM
ciscopro
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First photo post - Honolulu zoo (*edited, with a question)

Keep shooting, you will start visualizing things from a different perspective as you better yourself. I can see similar changes in me. I find myself saying oh if i had a camera right now, I would frame it like this. Be proud of all these shots and even before you know you will be taking beautiful shots. Enjoy the shots, you have done a good job so far.

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:29 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password