New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

hdfxr3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

I've seen comments for both color profiles...and can't really decide whats for me. any opinions?

Oct 21, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

If you shoot in RAW it's unimportant from an image file point of view BUT unless you own a monitor that can display the full gamut Adobe RGB uses (which most users don't have) I can't see how you'd edit properly when you can't see the colors accurately. sRGB is much more common for that reason.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

For RAW, it doesn't make much of a difference, as you can set it afterward.

For Jpegs and such, sRBG has a much smaller color gamut than Adobe RGB, so my advice is to stick with Adobe RGB, and then convert to sRBG for photos that will be viewed on the web.

I would never throw away color information in camera if I didn't have to.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:27 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

One thing I've noticed, on multiple systems, with multiple cameras: if I output a great looking RAW from LightRoom as a jpg in Adobe RGB color space, browsers don't display colors properly under certain circumstances. Whites become yellow, reds wash out. If I output the same RAW file as sRGB, browsers display the jpg fine.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:38 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

The above is a given. Adobe RGB should be used to capture the image in raw, output for display should be converted to sRGB, and output to print should be Adobe RGB. Now what about ProPhoto RGB?

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

I use ProPhoto RGB. My browser (Safari) seems to read this okay, i.e. pics online look the same as pics in Photoshop.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

Prophoto RGB is an even wider color space than Adobe RGB - and the one the I convert my RAW images to in LR. I always go for the largest color space possible.

I know there are a lot of folks who would argue that many devices (printers, monitors) can't "see" beyond - or much beyond - the colors in Adobe RGB, however, to me it's still beneficial.

A larger color gamut gives you room to breath in post processing and also - more importantly - down the road as devices get better you may wish you had all those extra colors.

Once I'm done with processing my image in ProPhoto color space, I then convert it to whatever color space I need for the desired output. (For magazines / publication, I usually send Adobe RGB. As I mentioned above, for web it's sRGB if you want any chance of having the image look anywhere close to correct on the average person's monitor / browser)

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:41 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

If you're shooting RAW, pick whichever you like because it doesn't matter. If you are shooting jpeg, you need to consider your final output. Any image you output to the web you'll want to use sRGB as most browsers are not color managed. If you are printing you may want to use AdobeRGB, but a lot of the big print houses, like mpix, ask for sRGB files. Personally, if I was shooting jpeg I would just shoot sRGB. The extra color flexibility in the AdobeRGB gamut won't make as big a difference as most people think when you are working with 8-bit jpeg files and it adds an extra step to your workflow if you want to properly display your images on the web or use the cheaper printing services.

Josh

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Johnny McClung
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

Think about it this way: if most people look at your images on mobile and through web browsers on Mac/PC it's better to stick with sRGB. If you spend most of your time looking at them on screen and post processing on a high-end display that accurately displays the Adobe RGB gamut, then use Adobe RGB. Like others have said, shooting raw ensures you've captured all your data.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:36 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

The "sRGB for web, aRGB for everything else" is risky advice. There are many print labs where sRGB is expected, and in some cases required. I would suggest sticking with sRGB for JPGs across the board unless you understand the implications and extra work that may be needed on your part to deviate from it.

While the gamut for sRGB is less than aRGB, the number of colors are identical. It's like two large boxes of crayons - both boxes have the exact same number but the extents of the colors are different.

As far as the raws, I echo the earlier advice that it does not matter what the camera is set to. I work in LR and PS in Prophoto and when I export JPGs it tends to be sRGB. If I had to shoot JPGs in camera, I would highly recommend sRGB to avoid the issues previously mentioned.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

Like wellsjt and others have said, sRGB—especially if you have to ask. Keeping in mind your final output, there's no other color space that makes more sense for 99% of photographers.

Going on the web? sRGB.
Printing from a pro lab like Miller's? sRGB and they will do the CMYK conversion.
Shooting for an international ad campaign that will be online and in print? sRGB and the printer will most likely do the CMYK conversion.

I know of a successful commercial photographer who actually works in a color space smaller than sRGB because it converts over to CMYK easier.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

Keep in mind that if you shoot jpegs in Adobe RGB, it takes all of a second to convert it to sRBG - I'd keep the color info if I could

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM
hdfxr3
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · adobe rgb or srgb..thanks the question? on my nikon d4

I'm shooting raw, using aperture on all of my macs. i shoot lot of college athletics and occasionally print some good sized prints on my epson pro 7600. Trying to improve my workflow, even considered lightroom5, but i like aperture for the time being.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.