Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · ....

Chris Shepard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ....

Nevermind

Edited on Oct 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ....

edit: disregard me...I misread

Edited on Oct 22, 2013 at 01:33 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ....

I would not have collected the remaining balance and wished them well. Maybe you can get in touch with Yelp and have them verify the review. I think Wedding Wire requires the reviewer to show proof that they used your services. In this case, they didn't even use you, so I'm not sure how they can be allowed to leave a review.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ....

She paid the remainder of the balance AFTER she cancelled? That's wild. Good on you for being able to convince someone to stick to the contract. That said, I wouldn't have collected the final payment. We had 3 cancellations this year, Our cancellation agreement says they can apply the balance paid to a new wedding date(if we're available) within a year.

The review sounds like the mom asked for a family session or something in her email? I would've offered to do a family session for them to appease them if I wasn't working that day anyways.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ....

Do what you can to get the review removed, and if that doesn't work, respond to it. If you do that, keep it short, stick to the facts, and leave it at that.

Unfortunately, I think collecting the balance is a double-edged sword. You're certainly entitled to it, but now they've left that review and are going to badmouth you.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ....

I am surprised they didn't take you to court...
You did not photograph a wedding,yet you took their DEPOSIT andFINAL BALANCE??!?!
I've heard of similar cases over the years and clients won in all of them. You can't take their money for services you did not provide.

You should've not taken their final balance...livelyhood or not, you did not do anything and this is why you have the deposit system in place.

I would give them the final balance back and apologize or do a family session of some kind. Seems like they asked for it and you just took their money and ignored their request... I'd post a negative review if I was in their shoes too!

Edited on Oct 22, 2013 at 01:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ....

Seems like you are expecting a lot, both the $$$ and a good (or not bad) review for sticking to your guns.. How could the review be horrible if there was no wedding? Did they lie about the situation?
I guess they figure by paying the balance as required in your contract they don;t really have to be nice about it. OTOH if you had been lenient in your actions they would have a better review about how you helped her out in a difficult situation Blah blah blah.

I guess you "won" this one...

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:05 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ....

Is what was posted in the bad review untrue?

- trr

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:19 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ....

My policy says I keep the deposit upon cancellation and any payments received according to the payment schedule. 25% deposit. 25% at 6 months. 25% at 3 months. Final 25% at 30 days out.

So at 4 months out I would have 50% and they would owe nothing further if canceling. I would let them use that amount towards a family shoot and prints and so on if they'd like, to be nice though. Whoever did the paying would get that credit.

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:21 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ....

I looked up her review and ouch. I hope the part about not working with them on putting some of the fees towards a family shoot was untrue.

I am a bit surprised you asked for the full amount, and even more shocked that you got it. I find it hard to imagine NOT getting a bad review after that.

As for all of the hope in getting it removed as no services were rendered... She paid for the services in full, so I would think she has the right to review them.

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

photosymbol
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ....

DmitriM wrote:
You did not photograph a wedding,yet you took their DEPOSIT andFINAL BALANCE??!?!
I've heard of similar cases over the years and clients won in all of them. You can't take their money for services you did not provide.

You should've not taken their final balance...livelyhood or not, you did not do anything and this is why you have the deposit system in place.

I would give them the final balance back and apologize or do a family session of some kind. Seems like they asked for it and you just took their
...Show more

This, exactly.

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ....

Not to pile on, but I think the most interesting thing about their Yelp review is that it is the second 1 star review that mentions poor communication (the other review was adjusted later). I would spend some serious time examining my business practices and interactions in that circumstance, and find ways to improve my communication and processes to avoid such issues. The first order of business should not be to squelch the bad review... the first order of business should be to address the problem provoking the review.

This is the second or third post in the past few weeks on bad online reviews. I think this needs a FAQ section.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:10 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ....

Chris, I'm with the others. I wouldn't have made them pay the full amount, but that's my philosophy and it's written in my contract that way. You may want to consider getting in touch and seeing if you can do a family session for them.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:45 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ....

You mention about hiring lawyer for defamation... May I ask if any statement from the bride is false?
If not save your money from hiring a lawyer and try to make this right by them...
Defamation, slander, and libel are all involve making false statement.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:50 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ....

DmitriM wrote:

I would give them the final balance back and apologize or do a family session of some kind. Seems like they asked for it and you just took their
...Show more

I'm with Dmitri
- I could understand you keeping the deposit, but it's not fair to take the final balance for services not provided. You've saved yourself time and effort taking photographs, post-processing, producing deliverables etc.

And they did give you 4 months notice, it's not like they cancelled the day before. I can understand why they're pissed.

I too would apologise and give the final balance back.

I looked up the review and she's explained the situation clearly, I don't think you've got a defamation case unless any of it is untrue.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:25 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ....

Before you escalate the situation remember the Seinfeld episode with Kathy Griffin..Everything he did to try to get back at her , she turned it around and made it worse for him....

so I went and read the review...If that makes you seethe you need to toughen up. She seemed displeased as someone would being out $3000 with nothing to show for it. But sounded calm and level headed.
Chalk this one up to a lesson in customer service.

Edited on Oct 22, 2013 at 03:49 AM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:43 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ....

At this point, I would somehow refund that last payment to them... without making it sound like you're trying to buy a positive review from them.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:46 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ....

I would be thrilled to keep my 33% retainer and i dont have to do anything.

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:30 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ....

I'm not defending anyone here, but I'm surprised at the number who would simply brush off income that was legally contracted to be in your pocket, regardless of what kind of work had been performed. What if 8 of your couples just up and cancelled...you're out potentially $17k of your yearly revenue (assuming the balances owed were only around $2100).

Sure it sounds crazy to think you should still keep that money, but you signed a contract (not just them) that agreed to specific terms and conditions...and you were committing your services to particular person with the knowledge that you would forgo contractually obligating yourself to another full-paying customer. Why should you be out your promised income because they decided they no longer want to fulfill their end of the deal? It's their choice to not use your services on that specific day. Just because they don't take advantage of a "pre-paid" photoshoot doesn't mean you should refund their money.

I can understand that some might think we are not "entitled" to that income because our work is predominantly service based, but we are in fact "entitled" to that income because they agreed to pay when signing a contract. Just because you haven't arrived at the venue to perform your services does NOT mean you were not willing to fulfill your obligations in the contract. Refunds for unfulfilled balances seem appropriate to refund only after the date has been rebooked.

I'm not saying I would follow through with it, because I've never had it happen. But why should you suffer the penalties of another and your family has less food, less college funds, less whatever, because you decided to go in to business with someone that would end up flaking on you?

If the OP didn't offer to fulfill his end of the bargain and deliver an equivalent value of services, then that is definitely a problem.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Depth of Feel
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ....

sboerup wrote:
I'm not defending anyone here, but I'm surprised at the number who would simply brush off income that was legally contracted to be in your pocket, regardless of what kind of work had been performed. What if 8 of your couples just up and cancelled...you're out potentially $17k of your yearly revenue (assuming the balances owed were only around $2100).

Sure it sounds crazy to think you should still keep that money, but you signed a contract (not just them) that agreed to specific terms and conditions...and you were committing your services to particular person with the knowledge that you would
...Show more

Agreed. I had three cancels this year. One who ended up just changing their wedding date. But that's more then I've experienced before. New language in my contract states that if cancelation occurs within 6 months, balance is owed.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:23 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password