Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

A regular ol' portrait

Anurag
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A regular ol' portrait

Thoughts?

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · A regular ol' portrait

Overall I like the image but I am immediately drawn to her mouth and I feel I should be drawn first to her eyes.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:07 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · A regular ol' portrait

Better for the eyes to be sharp.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #4 · A regular ol' portrait

Any suggestions on how to achieve that with a dslr where the focus box is larger than the eye being focused on? A lot of times I can get sharp eyes but more frequently it focuses on the eye lashes or glasses. Or does one just use the lens stopped down...

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · A regular ol' portrait

At first glance this seems to be great lighting, but the image just does not seem to work. It seems to me there are too issues. First the teeth are by far the brightest part of the image and they really grab my attention. Next the eyes just appear to be weird, especially the bullseye appearance of the eye on the left. I suspect this could be a really nice portrait with the right processing.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #6 · A regular ol' portrait

I did a quick re-work on the image and to answer your question, yes I would stop down enough so the entire face is in focus. Additional light is needed for the eye area. You can also adjust manual focus while pressing the shutter button half way to make sure you're achieving focus on the right area.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · A regular ol' portrait

Depends upon the system. I've got a 135mm f2 Canon I like for portraits, but getting eyes in proper focus wide open is a chore. Might be better to focus manually, if you've got focus peaking or another focusing aid, or perhaps shoot a series with minor distance changes by swaying back and forth to let the odds favor a properly sharp one. Personally, I'd just stop down a bit as the simplest way.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM
gregfixit
• •
p.1 #8 · A regular ol' portrait

I had a similar problem with trying to focus on an area that is smaller than the focus box. I just went out and purchased a camera that I couldn't afford.
In the photo above you could have stopped the lens down without changing the composition.
I agree with everyone about the eyes. B&W really calls attention to white teeth. (And hers are so white and perfect) You really need to have the eyes perfectly focused along with a good catch-light to bring the viewer’s attention up to the eyes. Having the main light source larger and off to the side a bit, will help a great deal.
Shortly after joining FM I realized how my photos lacked the ‘pop’ that comes with really sharp eyes. I make a point of practicing the shooting techniques for getting the eyes just right and it has made a big difference in the portraits that I’ve done recently.
Overall I think you have a beautiful woman in a really nice pose and a lovely B&W interpretation.
Greg

Oct 23, 2013 at 04:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · A regular ol' portrait

Took a stab at a few things to try and draw some attention to the eyes a bit more. Seems as though they are not quite in the same plane as one sharpens up more than the other.

With her bangs over the one eye, wondering if you focus on the other (non-bang) if the outcome would be diff @ focal placement. Stopped down or manual focus.

You mention focus box being larger than the eye ... is this cropped significantly? Which camera?

+1 nice capture @ engaging facial expression.

BTW, the specular highlights provided by the nose ring don't help much for drawing our attention to her eyes. I realize that isn't something that you have much control over, just something to be aware of how it factors in to perception as you light/shoot/process.

Oct 23, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #10 · A regular ol' portrait

Thanks everyone for your input. School ramped up for a bit so I wasn't able to reply earlier. But thank you. I took some more shots today. Shall post them sometime tomorrow for critique.

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Anurag
• •
p.1 #11 · A regular ol' portrait

The one was actually an older one shot with a d800 and a 105 mm dc. I sold the entire system as I was starting medical school and dropped down to an nex 6 with some zeiss glass however the lack of anything long in the lens line up prompted me to chase the d800 yet again.

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password