New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · dumb question - af/mf switch

newtophoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · dumb question - af/mf switch

What is the point of this switch on the body and lens? Can't you just leave it in AF, and then move the ring manually when you want to focus manually?

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:03 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · dumb question - af/mf switch

If the lens you're using has MF override, then yes. But then you'll need to rear button focus or your
shutter button 1/2 depress will throw your MF "adjustment" OOF The switch solves THAT problem.

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · dumb question - af/mf switch

newtophoto wrote:
What is the point of this switch on the body and lens? Can't you just leave it in AF, and then move the ring manually when you want to focus manually?

You can do this with a lens that has a "real time manual focus" AF motor, but not with lenses with other types of AF, where you can end up fighting against the AF motor. Additionally, with some cameras, you might always have AF associated with the shutter button. Imagine how torqued you'd be if you carefully used manual focus to place critical focus exactly where you want it, and then the camera moves it to a different place when you push the shutter button.

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:13 PM
newtophoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · dumb question - af/mf switch

Gotcha, thanks. I already rear button focus so I guess this is a non issue.

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · dumb question - af/mf switch

newtophoto wrote:
Gotcha, thanks. I already rear button focus so I guess this is a non issue.

OK. So, you're not so "new to photo"; rear button AF isn't a typical noobie thing

Earlier points aside, it's worth noting that some lenses don't care where your AF button is set; they won't MF in AF mode, and vice versa.

Oct 21, 2013 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.