Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

adamdewilde
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Hi guys,

Long story shot, I'm sitting on a full wedding kit of Nikon gear, and a half kit of Canon gear. I'm not overly happy with my results in many areas, and the only DSLR lenses that really made me happy were the ZE/ZF lenses. But being manual focus, I'm just not "skilled" enough to consistently hit focus in dark ballrooms. In fact, both my systems, be it the D4, 5D3, 1Dx seem to have trouble hitting focus in dark ballrooms anyway (but not as much as I would using manual lenses).

So, I wanted to know if you get comparable performance from the Sony Zeiss lenses. As in, will I like them as much as the ZE/ZF/ZM lenses? And the A99 body, will it hit focus in dark ballrooms at least as good as my Canon/Nikon bodies?

I'm thinking of getting em all.. Anything anyone would like express about the ZA lenses or A99 body, in comparison to Canon/Nikon and ZE/ZF lenses, please do so here

Those of you who know me, will probably have an easier time answering the question.
To the rest, keep in mind my favorite lenses are the 21, 50MP, 100MP, but I liked the 85 and 35/2 a lot.

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

If you're not happy with the results from the D4, 5D3 etc then I think it's time to look closer at yourself and push yourself to learn more rather than asking questions of your equipment.

As a passing comment that might seem harsh but I am only with good intent, I hope you understand.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

ricardovaste wrote:
If you're not happy with the results from the D4, 5D3 etc then I think it's time to look closer at yourself and push yourself to learn more rather than asking questions of your equipment.

As a passing comment that might seem harsh but I am only with good intent, I hope you understand.

Ricardo, maybe Adam is just asking on the basis of IQ and rendering of Zeiss vs. everything else (Canikon, Pentax, etc), where everything else just doesn't make the cut.

I think the question's intent is to know if Sony/Zeiss is as good as Zeiss... Getting spoiled by expensive optics, it's an expensive thing

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

This may get some negative feedback but try a canon 6d it's supposed to have better low light focusing than 5d3 and 1dx. I found it to be great but it lacked in dr which is important to me.

I never used an a99 but it had the best feel in hand than just about any other dslr other than the big body cameras (1d, d3, etc)

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Let's be honest. You have Canon kit and Nikon kit and you are not happy with the results. Perhaps you should focus more on the craft and less on the kit

Nikon has some great fast glass. 24mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 58mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 24-70mm 2.8. If you can't get good photos with those perhaps you are in the wrong business.

Pretty sure that the results from Sony/Zeiss would be incremental at BEST.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

adamdewilde wrote:
Hi guys,

Long story shot, I'm sitting on a full wedding kit of Nikon gear, and a half kit of Canon gear. I'm not overly happy with my results in many areas, and the only DSLR lenses that really made me happy were the ZE/ZF lenses. But being manual focus, I'm just not "skilled" enough to consistently hit focus in dark ballrooms. In fact, both my systems, be it the D4, 5D3, 1Dx seem to have trouble hitting focus in dark ballrooms anyway (but not as much as I would using manual lenses).

So, I wanted to know if you get comparable
...Show more

It helps if you can tell what you like about your current Zeiss. The ZA has a more subtle Zeiss draw since it has a mix of Sony/Minolta draw to it. Optically, they're still impressive, but I don't think the signature is the same as the manual focus Zeiss. I have the A99, but shooting exclusively with manual focus lenses. So I can't say about the AF ability. I can send you my infinity test shots of the ZA 24/2, ZA 50/1.4, Zeiss ZF 28/2, and my Contax lenses for you to judge. I have shot with all of the ZAs and about two handfuls of Zeiss ZF/ZE and Contax, but I only took infinity test shots recently with the advent of EVF for my personal archive.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Adam, I have owned all ZA lenses for 3 years, except the latest 50/1.4, and used them on the A900. I cannot give you any comments about the AF of the A99, I actually switched to Leica because of the SLT mirror and EVF, but I can tell you that the ZA are all fantastic. The lens design is reminiscent of the Contax 645 and Hasselblad Zeiss glass, which is IMHO more attractive than the overly contrasty current ZE/ZF glass. Coming from Leica you will appreciate the rendering of the ZA lenses. I highly recommend them.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

The autofocus system in A99 is excellent, pretty fast and very accurate (much better that Sony A900). But they are slower than Nikon D3/D4. I have all the Zeiss ZA lenses, except the newer 50/1.4. They are all excellent. My favorite ones are 16-35/2.8, 85/1.4, and 135/1.8. Optically, they do have Minolta influence in their design which I really like. But I don't think the Sony A99 with Zeiss ZA lenses will out perform Nikon D800/D4 with their top tier lenses in any significant way. Personally, I like the color produced by A99 better. But if I shoot sports or moving objects, I will definitely go with Nikon D3/D4. They are just that much better. (I am not a Canon user so I can't comment on the 5D III)

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

edwardkaraa wrote:
Adam, I have owned all ZA lenses for 3 years, except the latest 50/1.4, and used them on the A900. I cannot give you any comments about the AF of the A99, I actually switched to Leica because of the SLT mirror and EVF, but I can tell you that the ZA are all fantastic. The lens design is reminiscent of the Contax 645 and Hasselblad Zeiss glass, which is IMHO more attractive than the overly contrasty current ZE/ZF glass. Coming from Leica you will appreciate the rendering of the ZA lenses. I highly recommend them.

Hi Edward,

I originally sent you a private msg to ask this (must have got lost), so I could avoid being criticized on the open forum. I'm glad you find the rendering to be similar to contax/hassy-zeiss. Considering those are the two MF cameras/lenses I'm currently using when I do film work, and I love the results.

Honestly I had a play with the A99, and I'm not sure it would "bother" me to not have an optical viewfinder, it would just take getting use to, I suppose. As long as the focusing speed/accuracy was at least on par with Canon/Nikon, as I've learned to live with them.

ocean2059 - Thanks for the insights.. I'm glad you like the A99 body. Agree though, if I shot Sports the D4 wouldn't be an issue at all, I'd just make sure that my long lens was well calibrated for the sport I'm shooting.. And I'd probably have another D4 body with another lens calibrated differently, to hit all the needs of the sport. It's weddings where you're shooting min-max distances with varying focal lengths that gets Nikon all tripped up.

hiepphotog - I rarely shoot infinity, do you have any min-15ft distances you'd like to share? Indoors preferably. Few outdoors? Raw files would be ideal if you don't mind

Thanks guys who gave constructive comments.

To everyone who things I need to focus on what I've got. I was asking more because I'm use to the quality I get from Zeiss and Leica.. Yes maybe the 50APO has spoiled me. And I'm not saying you can't get good results with Canon/Nikon (I get good results), I'm just saying that the results are not up to my standards, because I'm looking for greatness

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:25 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

I am sorry for some comments I see here, Adam. We want more people to post content, not fewer.

The big draw is of course AF which for your use is essential I feel, and like hiepphotog I shoot only manual lenses. The body is excellent, a big step up from the a900. The results are also very nice indeed to my eye, another step up. Same with colour handling, a strong point of Minolta/Sony and apparently even better in the a7 (new processor 'BIONX-Z'). Ergo, low weight, swivel LCD, do the others have that yet?

The SLT steals a bit of performance but the camera (sensor same as RX1) makes a fine noise pattern which was pushed me to buy one. FLM might be along, he can add another data point. Ask in friendlier circumstances over at dyxum.com or even better - getpdi.com Sony forum, where several pros post.

Read anything by famed wedding pro Marc Williams who left his Canon gear to use Sony, a very good move for him. I personally believe you will find a worthwhile improvement leaving either C/N. Several ZAs are class leading, most agree - Wayne Seltzer grafted the 135/1.8 onto his Canon and liked it too.

Maybe rent an a99 for a day and use it in simulated tests, see if you like the EVF in low light ;-)...I use it up to 3200 with total comfort, and Sony retains good colour and contrast at high ISO levels, very beneficical in iffy lighting, the shot does not 'flatten' out. best, philip.

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:59 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Hi Adam, I checked my inbox and there's no new PM. Strange.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:11 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Adam, I have both canon 1ds3 and Nikon D800E and have shot weddings in dark lighting conditions and know that AF can sometimes fail to focus if there is not enough light on subject. That is why I like to have good MF lenses with me too which I can count on manually focusing in those dim light conditions although that is not easy.
Comparing ZA lenses with ZF/ZE lenses I feel the ZA render less microcontrast IMO. I only have the ZA135/1.8 but have seen enough ZA shots posted in forum to come to this conclusion.
Try the A99 with ZA85 and 135, two great portrait lenses and see what you think.
You could also try the Contax N85/1.4 converted to EF by Conurus, my favorite 85mm lens which has AF and also a decent MF ring. I shot my friends wedding with mostly R100 APO, 24/1.4G, 200/2, and ZF.2 21 and 35/2. Nice to have both AF and MF lenses to choose from IMO.
Good luck with your search!

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:15 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

I certainly wouldn't say that the ZA have less micro contrast, in fact they may have more of that. I find them to have a medium format style subtle tonal gradations so if anything they may have less macro contrast. Tariq has once described them as a cross breed between Zeiss and Leica, and I fully agree with that description.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:04 AM
RickPerry
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Adam,

I have no idea of focus accuracy and speed on an A99 vs the Canon/Nikon systems you have. I no longer shoot weddings, so speed is not an issue.

However,

Several years ago I switched from Canon 5D II with Zeiss ZE's to a Sony A900 with ZA's. . I changed mostly because I wanted autofocus available, and, to a lesser extent, I really liked the A900 build and IQ results I had seen. This change-over of lenses and cameras is pretty well chronicled in my posts at Zeiss images.com - take a look. For the most part I would agree with Edwardkaraa's statement -"I find them to have a medium format style subtle tonal gradations "

If you work from the back - page 40 to page 1, you will see the change in rendering from ZE to ZA lenses provide. There are lots of other Zeiss lenses featured in my posts as time goes on, but you will be able to see what lens was used with what camera.

Good Luck with your choice.

Rick

http://www.zeissimages.com/photobrowser.php?puid=514

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:42 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Haha, so picked up an A99, getting the 85 ZA as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll test the focusing at a friends party (so as not to disappoint a client if the camera really cannot make it).

So as for the primes, the 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8 are all worth the money?
And the two zooms are fantastic?

The reason nobody has the 50? Because it's new, or it's underwhelming?

Thanks guys!

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:00 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

RickPerry wrote:
Adam,

I have no idea of focus accuracy and speed on an A99 vs the Canon/Nikon systems you have. I no longer shoot weddings, so speed is not an issue.

However,

Several years ago I switched from Canon 5D II with Zeiss ZE's to a Sony A900 with ZA's. . I changed mostly because I wanted autofocus available, and, to a lesser extent, I really liked the A900 build and IQ results I had seen. This change-over of lenses and cameras is pretty well chronicled in my posts at Zeiss images.com - take a look. For the most part I would agree
...Show more

Thanks for all of this, I'm on my phone now answering, will check the link when I get home tonight.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:04 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Congratulations Adam! The 85 is a fantastic lens, sharp from wide open and with a smooth bokeh.

IMO, all the ZA are worth it, but I prefer the primes to zooms, like most people on this forum. The 50 is also a great lens from what I've seen, and if I was still shooting with Sony, it would definitely be in my bag. If you plan to buy the zooms, make sure to test them well for AF accuracy and decentering. These were issues during my Sony time and I've had 2 copies of the 24-70, one was amazingly sharp, and one was front focusing at one end and back focusing at the other end, so it was impossible to use the AF micro adjustment. My first copy of the 16-35 was decentered but Sony exchanged it swiftly and the second copy was perfect. This was 5 years ago so I suspect Sony had plenty of time to deal with these issues.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:19 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

adamdewilde wrote:
Haha, so picked up an A99, getting the 85 ZA as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll test the focusing at a friends party (so as not to disappoint a client if the camera really cannot make it).

So as for the primes, the 24/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 135/1.8 are all worth the money?
And the two zooms are fantastic?

The reason nobody has the 50? Because it's new, or it's underwhelming?

Thanks guys!

The new 50 is high priced. Excellent lens, but a lot of people were hoping for a $1K maximum price for it. As it is there's a $1000+ delta between the Sony 50/1.4 (which is nice but average) and the much better ZA 50. It's hard to justify unless you are a serious normal junky, which many aren't these days, especially when the ZA 24-70 is so good.

A ZA 35/1.4 at $2K would significantly outsell the ZA 50 IMHO (and is badly needed, I am distinctly not a fan of the 35G).

Note I'm a former Sony/Minolta shooter. Still very much like the line, but my needs require something a lot smaller than ZA glass is.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:30 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Thanks guys, this is all great info!

Yeah I'm a hoarder, I'm hoping the Sony outfit will allow me to sell off the majority of my event/portrait gear. Will update everyone on my first impressions. But if anyone has any more links or info, I'm happy to check then out!

BTW, Mawz I actually use the 35G 85G primarily (kinda came to the realization last wedding that the 35G has an odd look that isn't congruent with the 24G, 50G, 85G), so I agree with you.

And when I need canon gear I primarily use the 50L (other lenses vary depending on the job).

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:44 AM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A99 w/Zeiss autofocus glass?

Actually, Mawz is referring to the Sony 35G, which is a very controversial lens, to put it mildly. Some people hate it, some people love it. It comes from Minolta, as some designs that Sony still keep under their name. Have a look at http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp for a very complete database of all lenses that use the A mount.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.