New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Review: PROGREY G-100X Filter Holder

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Review: PROGREY G-100X Filter Holder

I'm posting this here to share some thoughts on my Progrey filter holder, as I wasn't able to find much about this product when I was shopping for filter holders.

I was originally looking at the Lee Foundation kit, but someone mentioned the Progrey kit as an alternative with the primary advantage being an integrated screw-in filter holder beneath the square filter holders. This allows the use of a standard CPL, or the use of any other filters you already have, along with square filters. As someone with a fairly pricey 82mm CPL and 6 stop ND already, this was a deciding factor in my purchase.

The filter seems well made out of lightweight but sturdy aluminum. You need to purchase an adapter with the filter, and I bought the 82mm adapter since this is the size of my largest lens (Zeiss 21mm) and I already have stepping rings for my other lenses to get up to 82mm. There is no problem with using the stepping rings to use the filter holder, although it adds a bit of depth (addressed later). The filter holder and adapter each come with their own neoprene sleeve, although both items fit in the sleeve for just the filter holder.

The holder is mounted by screwing the adapter onto the lens, and then the holder slips on over the edge of the adapter and is secured with a screw on back. Mounting the holder to the adapter can be a BIT fiddly until you get the hang of it, but its not bad.

The holder works with standard 4" filters such as Lee.

In terms of performance, the filter holder does not vignette on either my zeiss 21 or my 24-70 f/4L IS. With the addition of a circular filter (polarizer or ND), there is vignetting on my 24-70 at the widest settings. My suspicion is that if I were to get a 77mm adapter rather than using an additional step-up ring AND the adapter, I would not have this issue. I have no problems with vignetting using the filter holder and a CPL on the Zeiss, where the adapter mounts directly to the lens.

My only gripe so far is that there are tiny little foamy pads at the top and bottom of the holder, and when I mounted my first filter on the closest rack, it rolled the foamy bit off the top and got some gluey goop on my filter. This cleaned off, and the pads do not seem functionally important, really. I think the pad just wasn't stuck on as well as the one on bottom. Note that these pads are not in any way involved in holding the filter securely.

So that's that! I'm happy that I purchased this filter instead of the Lee kit, as it allows me to use my existing filters in conjunction with square grads.

Here's a shot with a Lee 2-stop soft grad and a CPL using the 70-200 f/4IS, using a 67mm-82mm stepping ring to mount the progrey holder.
http://www.evanbaines.com/fredmiranda/oldrag-3.jpg

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.