FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

On Saturday night I brought the couple out for a night shot. As we were about to do the shot it began to rain, so I decided to do a backlit rain shot HoffStyle. As we were taking the photo the manager of the venue came running out with an umbrella for the couple, because he was worried about them getting wet. The shot ended up being what has become known as Tony Hoffer's shot. If you are unfamiliar with his famous shot check out his recent blog post about it - http://hofferphotography.com/2013/10/20/oops-we-did-it-again-a-photo-story/

Tony made this shot famous and many us have a our own version of it. I've done this shot before, but this may be my favorite version that I've done.

This is a single image edited in LR. It's backlit with my 600EX and front lit with another 600EX and a soft box. I did some cloning to fill in the areas where the flash didn't light up the rain (which is quite noticeable to a trained eye).

I'm sure this image will be critiqued quite a bit, because it's somewhat of a copy, but I wanted to share it anyway

http://morbyphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/M3_26618.jpg

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:29 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

I like it a lot. most of the time these lit from behind just give a barely noticeable amount of reflected light on a small part of the faces (which is fine) but yours adds a kiss of light off from a distance which gives a sense of the scene here.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

I think it's pretty damn good. Perhaps the framing could have been improved upon.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

It's cool, but now all I see is that dang boomerang rain pattern you cloned all over the place. Wish you didn't mention it, haha.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

I appreciate that you at least added a front light but I will say the background is distracting for me and definitely doesn't add to the photo.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

Mitch W wrote:
It's cool, but now all I see is that dang boomerang rain pattern you cloned all over the place. Wish you didn't mention it, haha.

Ha! I figured I'd get called out on it, so I wanted to call myself out first

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

it looks great! it's always fun to try stuff like this, even better if you get a good shot that you and the couple are excited about

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

TTLKurtis wrotethe background is distracting for me and definitely doesn't add to the photo.

I think the light in the background adds depth.

But Kurtis charges more than I do, so he's probably right.

Oct 21, 2013 at 01:08 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

Nikon_14 wrote:
I think the light in the background adds depth.

But Kurtis charges more than I do, so he's probably right.

My point is not that there should be nothing in the background but that there should be something more pleasing in the background. Tony posted a new 'HoffShot' on facebook the other day, I think he nailed that.

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:23 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

TTLKurtis wrote:
My point is not that there should be nothing in the background but that there should be something more pleasing in the background. Tony posted a new 'HoffShot' on facebook the other day, I think he nailed that.

and if someone were inclined to do so, it wouldn't be hard to edit the background on this image

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

did you have plastic bags over your flashes? I've always wondered how people get these shots w/o assistants hiding the lighting under a jacket or umbrella.

Oct 23, 2013 at 01:34 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

jamesmorophoto wrote:
did you have plastic bags over your flashes? I've always wondered how people get these shots w/o assistants hiding the lighting under a jacket or umbrella.

I had them in the rain on a light stand. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but they still work

Oct 23, 2013 at 07:40 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rain Shot (HoffStyle)

I put plastic bags over mine and the trigger. Works a treat.

Oct 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.