Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Milan Hutera wrote:
The OP doesn't have 2nd or 3rd body, or 400 f2,8 for that matter. The point of my original post was to put things in perspective. There's no such thing as fast, long zoom that's also cheap.

Hmm, OK. That isn't at all what I got out of your post. I guess I needed the </sarcasm> or </fantasy> markup :-)

Oct 21, 2013 at 08:55 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Milan Hutera wrote:
Sure,but it's the only lens that meets his criteria.

What, you think price is not part of his criteria

Since he already has shot NFL football with a f5.6 lens, he would have no problem with the 100-400. I don't know why the OP has a problem shooting at ISO 1000, since the 7D easily handles ISO 1600.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Milan Hutera wrote:
The OP doesn't have 2nd or 3rd body.

Where do you see that?
In his profile he has a 7D and 40D.

I would keep the 70-200f2.8 on one body and the 300f4 on the other.

If not on two bodies, the Sigma 100-300 f2.8 seems to be the obvious choice to me.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

timbop wrote:
Hmm, OK. That isn't at all what I got out of your post. I guess I needed the </sarcasm> or </fantasy> markup :-)

I was actually quite serious. Again, there's no such thing as fast, long and cheap zoom that's also small. There are zooms that are either slow and relatively cheap, some of them are long as well (they go beyond 300mm) but still may be short for wildlife. Some zooms are fast but not small (like Sigma 120-300 and that doesn't go to 300mm either) and then there are zooms that are both fast and long, like 200-400L, with built in tc becomes a slower lens but great for wildlife, it zooms (compared to a long prime) but it's price goes to stratosphere.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Imagemaster wrote:
What, you think price is not part of his criteria

Since he already has shot NFL football with a f5.6 lens, he would have no problem with the 100-400. I don't know why the OP has a problem shooting at ISO 1000, since the 7D easily handles ISO 1600.

Well then, please forget I wanted to explain the OP he simply expects too much from a single lens. I merely mentioned that lens that meets virtually all of his *shooting* criteria exists, but it's not small nor affordable. But that's how thing are in DSLR land.

Edit: I agree with 100-400L, should be very high on his list. But if OP manages to get the permission to shoot on the sideline, then the shooting won't be about having fun anymore, but he'll have to deliver quality images to a magazine, newspaper etc. and I'm affraid (from my own experience) the f5.6 will be a big limiting factor.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Why not first buy a 6D and use the 70-200 and 1.4x?

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Paul Mo wrote:
Why not first buy a 6D and use the 70-200 and 1.4x?

Using the 7D with his 70-200 gives him a similar "reach".
The 6D would give him better high ISO performance though.

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:56 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

I love how this gets completely off target so quickly .

Of the lenses you chose, only one fits all of your criteria - the 100-400 (as others have mentioned). It's within your budget, within the size restriction to get into your NFL games, is a zoom, and goes to a minimum of 300mm. With your crop camera, it gives you a great range in a compact package. For each use, you will compromise a bit. It's a bit too slow for sports, a bit too short for some wildlife and has an older IS system. It's an absolutely GREAT compromise though. Best lens for the job.

Or you can get a press pass, buy a pair of 1dx's, a 300mm 2.8 and a.....you get the picture.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:01 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

jasonpatrick wrote:
I love how this gets completely off target so quickly .
Or you can get a press pass, buy a pair of 1dx's, a 300mm 2.8 and a.....you get the picture.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic about getting the job as a shooter, getting 3 bodies, etc.

Unfortunately, I apparently was too subtle and should have included my own "</sarcasm>" tag (added them now).

As for the continued insistence that a 200-400 "meets all criteria" (except for size, weight, price, and even aperture as f/4 only gets you half way to f/2.8). Oh wait, there were no other criteria.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

Most of the lenses you mentioned are just as slow as your 75-300.

I was going to recommend the 300/4.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Help Selecting Long Zoom for Sports/Nature

surf monkey wrote:
If not on two bodies, the Sigma 100-300 f2.8 seems to be the obvious choice to me.

Did you miss under 8" so I can bring it into an NFL stadium

The Sigma 120-300 is 11.5" long.

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password