New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Northern Oregon Coast

Lee Wiren
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Northern Oregon Coast

Here are several images from my 4 days at the northern Oregon Coast. The weather was immaculate for most of the trip.... unfortunately it brought the crowds with it....c&c always welcome

Farewells

Leaving a Memory

Moonset

Pillars of the Moon

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Northern Oregon Coast

Set 2

3 @ Dawn

Pastel Dawn

Rocky Ending

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Northern Oregon Coast

Lee, love "Rocky Ending" and "Pillars of the Moon" wish the sun wasn't overexposed in the last image. The first set is a little dark, at least for me and I am noticing some artifacts around the rocks especially the first 3 images from set one.

Oct 21, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Northern Oregon Coast

Thanks Barbara.... I had noticed the Halo effects on the rocks of those images you mention.... I had worked extremely hard to get rid of the red & green CA that was occuring, but haven't been able to solve the Haloing yet..... I am using LR4.... any suggestions?

On Rocky Ending.... I am not a fan of leaving the overblown sunspot, but attempts to reduce the brightness brings on a nightmare of artifacts..... and trying to crop it out ruins the comp......I opted to leave the bright sun as a contrast to the darker side of the image..... I know it won't work for some, but for others, it may be ok... looking at a shot from a few minutes later when the sun dived below the marine layer and that area of the image isn't so bright reduced the mist/fog effect up on the rocks/hillside..... bummer.

I am suprised that so many folks seem to like Pillars of the Moon, I wasn't sure how that one would be received..... I would like to try to take the moon from "Leaving a Memory" and implant it in the pool of the Pillars shot..... that would be the icing on the image....

Appreciate you looking and commenting, I will continue to try to solve the issue of the Halo's......

Lee

Oct 21, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Jglaser757
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Northern Oregon Coast

I prefer the pillars in the sky image most. In the first two, there is not enough separation between the rock in the fore ground and the two in the back. But, lose the reflection on water in pillars in the sky.

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Northern Oregon Coast

Lee, I use photoshop ( cloning tool ) to correct the halos but if I recall you don't use Photoshop. Personally I would reprocess the images with the halos in LR4. I have run into the same problems and find the only solution is to completely reprocess. Check the remove chromatic aberration box first in LR also, it helps but doesn't remove everything. As you process the images check the image carefully after each adjustment to see when the halos start to appear and then find an alternate adjustment or try the adjustment brush on specific parts of the image.

A plug for Photoshop as it would easily allow you to blend the area with the overexposed sun with another image taken at a latter time, providing you are using a tripod.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Northern Oregon Coast

Pillars was a 20 sec shot......unfortunately my hands are not that steady, lol, I do use a tripod. I may indeed invest in PS soon, I keep running into these issues and it would help up my game....

Thanks for the tips Barbsra

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Northern Oregon Coast

My favorite is the Moonset image. However, there is something weird about the processing. Light halos are a common problem, but your image appears to have dark halos around the sea stacks. The effect is minimal and would be easy to correct.

Oct 22, 2013 at 07:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Northern Oregon Coast

Technicals aside, I think that Pillars of the Moon and 3 @ Dawn provide the most "presence" as to what it might be like to be there. You might clone out the smaller pebble-like rock to the right of the 3.

I dig the attention to get the moon reflection in the pool, but it is such a small aspect it doesn't make/break the image beyond the overall comp.

Personally, I'm not diggin' the strong cyans (although I understand why they are there), but that's just me.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Lee Wiren
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Northern Oregon Coast

Hi Rusty, Thanks for the thoughts.... the "pebble" in 3 @ Dawn is actually a gull.... I plan to leave him in, when printed large, folks really looking at the photo should be able to make him out and get a perspective of size in the image.....

Again, I am so amazed that Pillars is getting such high marks... I thought that one would be the least liked..... I had another set where one I thought was just barely acceptable was more popular than what I thought would be the more liked shot..... interesting.......

Thanks again

Lee

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.