Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

HauntedHat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

I assume this is an electrical component problem, such as a short in the main board. It happened to me a while ago, on a D300.

Was the grip abnormally hot? like a bit more than your own skin? Does it display ERR on the top LCD? or anything at all on the remaining photo counter? Is the viewfinder way darker than usual?

Oct 22, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

BenV wrote:
ouch, that sucks. Get ready for impact damage quote.

No warranty involved = no impact damage.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:30 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

If you bought the camera with a credit card, it may still be under warranty. Some credit cards will double the warranty if you buy with them. Check with the cc company.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Michaelparris wrote:

If it's working again it would be good to know what it was ... just in case for all us other D800E owners out here !

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Nope....that was in response to th above. Was on mobile and did not have the ability to quote
JimFox wrote:
You got it working?

Oct 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Nothing.....reacts like there is no battery. Tried new battery. Still nothing.

HauntedHat wrote:
I assume this is an electrical component problem, such as a short in the main board. It happened to me a while ago, on a D300.

Was the grip abnormally hot? like a bit more than your own skin? Does it display ERR on the top LCD? or anything at all on the remaining photo counter? Is the viewfinder way darker than usual?

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Care to elaborate?

Ho1972 wrote:
No warranty involved = no impact damage.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Good call will check on it....
DaveOls wrote:
If you bought the camera with a credit card, it may still be under warranty. Some credit cards will double the warranty if you buy with them. Check with the cc company.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

A bit more back story. The camera was purchased at a local camera stores swap meet. It belonged to a gentleman who passed away and his wife was selling his gear. He purchased in March and passed in June . She still has receipt. The camera store remembered the gentleman because he ordered on the release date..so It only had two months of use on it.
i was under the assumption it was march of this year but it was march of last year. So it is out of warranty. The seller is being very good and has agreed to pay for any repairs I may have.
. Sucks cause I am not use to being without a camera. At least I have no jobs scheduled at the moment...

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Michaelparris wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Nikon has been using "impact damage", sometimes with very little evidence, to deny warranty claims. Since you won't be sending your camera in under warranty this won't come into play.

Oct 22, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Ho1972 wrote:
Nikon has been using "impact damage", sometimes with very little evidence, to deny warranty claims. Since you won't be sending your camera in under warranty this won't come into play.

Oct 22, 2013 at 04:33 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

The seller has gone way beyond their responsibility in paying for your repair. You should buy from them in the future.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

DaveOls wrote:
The seller has gone way beyond their responsibility in paying for your repair. You should buy from them in the future.

You really think so? I had the camera for one day......These transactions are a two way street.

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:46 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

well it is buyer beware. Since the seller is talking I'd only be happy with a refund.

Oct 27, 2013 at 05:59 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

MikeW wrote:
well it is buyer beware. Since the seller is talking I'd only be happy with a refund.

I'd be fine with a camera repaired to Nikon's satisfaction, though the seller wouldn't be unreasonable in balking if the camera was 100% fine (as far as she knew) when it left her possession. 1 day or not, who knows what happened to it? Unless you have a personal relationship with her, I think she's standing tall beyond normal.

Oct 27, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

A local camera store had a swap meet. I got there early and noticed a female had a bunch of new gear she was selling. Upon talking to her I noticed the camera and the price. I noticed she was selling an "E" model for what you would sell a "non-E" model for.....I asked her if she was aware of this. She said she was...

She felt I knew what I was talking about and asked me about pricing of other items that were for sale.

She then then explained her story (she also had a neighbor with her). Her husband had purchased the camera in March and passed away in june of the same year. Camera had basically been used for 2 months before it was placed on a shelf.

The kicker is I thought it was this year so the camera I was purchasing would still be under warranty, It was LAST year (I found this out when I called to report the problem).....

If I had known the camera was out of warranty i probably would not have purchased it.

I have since been to her house to look at other gear that was for sale. Very reputable woman in the community that wants her husbands gear to be used by someone who can do it justice and wants to do what she and I feel is the right thing (her words) by paying for repairs....

Now you know the rest....of the story

Edited on Oct 27, 2013 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

M635_Guy wrote:
Unless you have a personal relationship with her, I think she's standing tall beyond normal.

No doubt she is honorable. And the seller is lucky.

How many of us would be like this seller?

I sell my camera and when it leaves my possession it is working as it should. Only to find out . . . I don't think I would be as gracious as this seller.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Thanks for the heads up.....I now know never to purchase from you on the buy and sell forum should you ever have an item for sale.

Grantland wrote:
No doubt she is honorable. And the seller is lucky.

How many of us would be like this seller?

I sell my camera and when it leaves my possession it is working as it should. Only to find out . . . I don't think I would be as gracious as this seller.

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

Hey Mike settle down . . .

I'm a nice guy

There is risk involved when buying used. FM buy and sell is not the US government.

I have been gracious enough to let a buyer return a camera when 3 days after purchasing the body the shutter starting to go out. I could have said "sorry" but that isn't the way I do business here on FM. I accepted the return and paid for a new shutter and then resold it. When you buy used there is risk. Unless you get it in writing prior to the purchase you don't have ground to stand on when you use the body and then later it breaks.

I have a D800 and one time when putting the flash on the body the contacts touched some weird way and it shorted out the body. Dead, just like yours. It happens. Who is to say you didn't accidentally do something that broke the camera? You buy a camera and it works perfect when you tested it out in the afternoon. Then it breaks. Life sucks sometime.

For you to expect the seller to pay 100% for your repair after you used the camera and it worked as described is why I would not want you to buy something from me.

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D800e.......dead...update! camera is fixed!

very calm on this side..... again thanks for the heads up....I realize this is not the government. it's nice that SOME people are trusting and take am honest man for his word..... again thanks for letting me know who I should and should not do business with

Grantland wrote:
Hey Mike settle down . . .

I'm a nice guy

There is risk involved when buying used. FM buy and sell is not the US government.

I have been gracious enough to let a buyer return a camera when 3 days after purchasing the body the shutter starting to go out. I could have said "sorry" but that isn't the way I do business here on FM. I accepted the return and paid for a new shutter and then resold it. When you buy used there is risk. Unless you get it in writing prior to the purchase you
...Show more

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:21 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password