Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Fire and Ice

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fire and Ice

Backstory (for those who keep emailing me thanking me for them): going from spending literally 4 consecutive months on the road photographing and leading workshops to spending 12 hours a day behind my computer taking care of the photography business has its challenges! I have never done really well cooped up in a room day after day. Like many, I get anxiety and often just need to get out. Last Saturday I was starting to go a little STIR CRAZY and I just could not take it anymore! Because I now live in what many consider the most scenic/outdoor/recreational town in the US (Bend, Oregon) I decided to TAKE OFF to one of my favorite sanctuary spots on earth: Sparks Lake. Now only 20 minutes from my home this sacred location has me visiting frequently.

As I arrived, I was met with tumultuous clouds, sun breaks (and beams) and even an occasional snow fall. I went to Sparks Lake for one reason alone, to clear my head and breathe some fresh air. I thought “what the heck, I’ll bring my camera just in case.” But honestly, doing photography was the LAST thing on my mind. I just wanted to walk among the pines, along the lake, check out the wildlife, hear the wind in the trees and get refreshed.
Nearly alone, with only one person in the area camping, sunset time came and the water stilled and even though South Sister and Broken Top (the background mountains) would not reveal themselves I totally reveled in the weird and wild things the light was doing. I took only a select handful of shots and ended up leaving restored.

Techie stuff:
This is one Raw file nearly finished using very conservative adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw 8.2 and Lightroom 5 (I often use both interchangeably for practice because I teach both during the Fall and Winter months) . In Photoshop CS6 very subtle blending (for various fine tuning techniques) was done, as usual, using my fairly innovative Layer Style “Blend if” techniques. Also, a Color Balance adjustment in Color Mode (Layer Blending Modes) so tones don’t change, was used to further the color correction process. Honestly, this file could nearly have been presented in – in camera - JPEG form. It was one of those few images that needed very little correcting/coaxing.

As always, best viewed on a well calibrated monitor on Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

I hope you see in the image, some of the PEACE the moment brought me.

Thanks for looking.

Edited on Oct 21, 2013 at 04:13 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fire and Ice

Gorgeous as always.

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:25 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fire and Ice

Nice photo, but somehow those clouds don't look right to me.

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fire and Ice

Hey Mark,

You have a very cool image that manages to look good on my uncalibrated monitor that is running plain old IE...

While I like your image here, and "Stir Crazy" might describe your emotional state, I don't think it describes this photo at all. And while backstories are cool, in the end when someone has bought your image and has it displayed in their home, I would hope that your backstory about stir crazy is not what they see when they see this image. I am hoping they instead see an image of a magnificant scene, and one that inspires. This image has a very positive vibe to it, while the term stir crazy to me seems rather negative.

Just a few thoughts...

Jim

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:29 PM
mike717
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fire and Ice

A fine image Mark but I have to agree about the clouds being a little strange. It may just be the conversion but there seems to be some odd lines in the sky and the reflections look a bit rough to my eye.

Mike

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fire and Ice

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mark,

You have a very cool image that manages to look good on my uncalibrated monitor that is running plain old IE...

While I like your image here, and "Stir Crazy" might describe your emotional state, I don't think it describes this photo at all. And while backstories are cool, in the end when someone has bought your image and has it displayed in their home, I would hope that your backstory about stir crazy is not what they see when they see this image. I am hoping they instead see an image of a magnificant scene, and one that inspires.
...Show more

I agree, its not the name of the image. Just the name of the thread.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fire and Ice

mike717 wrote:
A fine image Mark but I have to agree about the clouds being a little strange. It may just be the conversion but there seems to be some odd lines in the sky and the reflections look a bit rough to my eye.

Mike

I agree the clouds are very weird/strange (the reason I took the shot) but I am not thinking it is in the conversion (except some JPEG compression weirdness in the top middle). I don't see any lines and not sure what you mean by rough reflection? Could you help elaborate more? It might be helpful.

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 09:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fire and Ice

It's a lovely image, Mark, but way TMI leading up to it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fire and Ice

Jeffrey wrote:
It's a lovely image, Mark, but way TMI leading up to it.

You dont have to read that. I only do that for the people who often email me thanking me for posting the backstories.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fire and Ice

Kinda hard to avoid, since it's the first thing you see in the post. I'm not really that upset about it (just see it too often), and I'm sure there are more folks here that crave that stuff than those that don't. Sorry I never emailed you about it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fire and Ice

I don't see any lines and not sure what you mean by rough reflection? Could you help elaborate more? It might be helpful.
The line I see in the clouds may very well be natural on closer look Mark but the reflections seem kind of splotchy and not at all smooth relative to what's being reflected. If it's not noticeable to any one else it must be me.

Mike

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fire and Ice

Jeffrey wrote:
Kinda hard to avoid, since it's the first thing you see in the post. I'm not really that upset about it (just see it too often), and I'm sure there are more folks here that crave that stuff than those that don't. Sorry I never emailed you about it.

As I have said before on other posts, I have always been the type of person that loves to hear/read the story behind the taking of a picture. I know there are probably at least as many who don't than do, but I always have. I literally get a steady stream of emails, PM's and FB messages from people thanking me for taking the time to share the backstory as well as the technical information. As an example, this has happened on my last 3 recent posts here. So, I do that for them. I figure for those who either don't care or don't have the time to read, they can just look at the image if they want. That is what I do when I am in a hurry or when I may not be interested in the story.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fire and Ice

mike717 wrote:
The line I see in the clouds may very well be natural on closer look Mark but the reflections seem kind of splotchy and not at all smooth relative to what's being reflected. If it's not noticeable to any one else it must be me.

Mike

I really appreciate the help here Mike! I'll try re calibrating and checking again. Maybe it is compression artifacting? I don't see it in the large Tiff and the image got almost no sharpening in the water. Maybe I've been staring at it too long!

Here is a 1700 px slice of the bottom for evaluation.

Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM
blueshadows
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fire and Ice

Because of its simplicity and elegance, my favorite of all the work you've presented here. Oh, and thanks for the story!

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM
slobodan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fire and Ice

Yin and Yang comes to mind. You know, cool and warm, darkness and light, earth and sky, reality and reflection, in this case.

Nice!

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:58 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fire and Ice

Both the image and the story are perfectly fine!!

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fire and Ice

Sweet shot Mark. The split colour palette is actually pretty close to a shot I just took! My colours are reversed

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fire and Ice

Here is a 1700 px slice of the bottom for evaluation.
I'm sure it's from compression Mark. If you're not seeing it I have no doubt I'm just peeping pixels way to closely.

Mike

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fire and Ice

great shot. Love the warm and cool

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fire and Ice

Mark,

I foresee your new place is going to be a gold mine of new images for you! This is just insane. I love the dominance of primarily 2 colors, like fire and ice!

I know your backstories may not be the cup of tea for everyone but I always appreciate it and I really dig the fact you leave a lot of tech info as well. It really helps me understand how you accomplish your photo and I know it adds to my knowledge when I go out and capture a scene.

Jason

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password