Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Frock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

I had a few specs on my sensor and it's a new camera (5d mark III) I've had for about 6 months so I decided it was time to clean it. Used VD smear away. This is what I was left with after using all 4 brushes. How do I fix this? I've never had a problem cleaning my sensor before but this was first time with this product.

http://i.imgur.com/qoBwGTk.jpg

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Use panning in every shot?
Copperhill cleaner is highly recommended.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Hopefully all you need is another cleaning. I've never had an issue like that using Copperhill's basic kit with quickstrips. http://www.copperhillimages.com/

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

To get rid of the oil smears, I would use sensor swabs (http://www.photosol.com) along with the eclipse cleaning solution. For touchup work after the swabs, I like using the LensPen Sensorklear tool.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Frock
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Thanks for the responses. I feel like i was getting no where cleaning those smears and if anything they got worse. Not sure if I should attempt it again or just send it back to Canon for them to look at.

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Sensor Swab & Eclipse has always worked for me...you never know what you will get when you send it away.

Oct 20, 2013 at 03:29 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

I have used Visible Dust Smear Away with results similar to what you presented in the photo. The VD web site even notes this.

The VD web site says if visible streaks remain after using Smear Away to follow up with VD Sensor Clean.

Look here under 'Smear Away.' Using Sensor Clean after Smear Away has worked well for me.

Of course this begs the question why someone would use this two-step (and expensive) VD method if other methods do it in one step for less money.

Jim

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

I'd find the nearest proficient technician and cough up the dough to get it back to normal.

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:49 AM
ugdog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Yes, get it cleaned professionally...

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:16 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

"VD Smear Away?"
With a name like that, you should have expected trouble!

It it was my camera, I'd buy a pack of http://www.all-spec.com/products/TX714A.html?gclid=CMrl65q1z7oCFVRk7AodTTgA-g
and a small quantity of high purity methanol ($5 at the local chem shop)

Apply a lone drop of alcohol to a swab and very lightly wipe it across part of your sensor. Repeat, using a clean swab each time, until all the oil/goop is gone.

Nov 07, 2013 at 02:36 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Does this new camera have automatic sensor cleaning?

Jan 16, 2014 at 08:03 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

If you really want to play it safe, I'd take it to a tech. Otherwise, I've had decent results with Eclipse and Sensor Swabs. Hopefully it just has to get hit again. It took me 5 swabs once on a Nikon camera I had. Didn't look nearly that bad though. That looks like things were pretty darn oily or something. The amount of oil/dirt seems pretty significant as the 5D3 doesn't seem that prone to dirtiness.

Jan 16, 2014 at 08:07 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

Nothing wrong with VD's products... I've found them to be the best solution for me.

Looks like you've captured some oil on your swab as you brought it in, and I'd guess it will take a few swipes to get rid.

Smear Away seems like a strange choice for a first time clean. I use Sensor Clean with the green swabs as I find them much easier to get good results with. (I don't like the orange type).

Follow their advice on solutions. They make different products because each has a different property. (Bit like how we use shampoo for our hair, soap for our hands and washing up liquid for our dishes... Certainly you can use soap for everything but it's not the best way...)

You may want to try swabbing a different direction and when you insert the swab, try turning it 45 deg to the sensor and only line it up when you're just above. This will help from touching the sides or mechanism where you possibly picked up oil.

If you're unsure, get it it cleaned professionally and just be careful next time...!

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:38 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera Sensor Cleaning - How do I fix this?

I see this is an old thread, but here is a good primer on sensor cleaning from the good folks over at lensrentals.com:

Interesting to note that they don't get into wet cleaning, just high and dry for most cleanings...

Paul

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.