FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Playing in After Effects

eugen1973
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Playing in After Effects

Somebody posted here a cool 3D slideshow made in After Effects and I liked it so much I decided to make one myself. These are pictures from engagement sessions and weddings I did this year. Let me know if you dig it.
http://youtu.be/mSSsgeA8U9w

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:57 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Playing in After Effects

As a photography who is also proficient with After Effects, I dig it. Obviously, you had to put some work into this and I'm just not sure what the payoff is. Will a client hire you over someone else after seeing this?

There are a few glitches that need to be touched up, but like I said, overall I really dig it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Playing in After Effects

That is really cool. Does it comes with the music to use?

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Playing in After Effects

If there sites with free music to use for stuff like this?

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Playing in After Effects

Great job, eugen.

I didn't scrutinize it carefully but my $0.02...

For my tastes, there's too much of the same effect and some of it is really exaggerated. I'm liking the subtle effects far more than the high drama especially when the subject and background lighting are markedly different.

To me, a conventional fade to fade slide show of still images with perhaps three or four of the 3D effects sprinkled in would be more engaging - almost where the viewer did a double-take when the 3D was used like "wait, what just happened?"... and using only the most successful separations. For example, at about 1:48 the groomsman to the left - his hair silhouette is pretty stark.

Regardless, I've never attempted anything like this and I'm impressed.

Chuck

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Playing in After Effects

The sound track is actually from YouTube's free sound track collection.
Thanks for the comments

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Playing in After Effects

I feel like I should have 3D glasses on.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Playing in After Effects

I think you put the distance of the 2 object too far apart. The 3D effect didnt look real. I think you did it a little much. You just want to do it a little to trick the viewer and still make it look like still photos. The way you presented, you push it too much that it felt more like a video but the subject isnt moving.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Playing in After Effects

I like the idea of it...I have thought about playing around with this technique for fun sometime. like Robin said, some of it was a bit too much. I think done with a bit more subtlety it could let the actual images be the focus rather than the effect.

And boy...that music...the music was pretty rough.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Playing in After Effects

I would aim to do it like this.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Playing in After Effects

joelconner wrote:
I like the idea of it...I have thought about playing around with this technique for fun sometime. like Robin said, some of it was a bit too much. I think done with a bit more subtlety it could let the actual images be the focus rather than the effect.

And boy...that music...the music was pretty rough.

If you know a better source for free music I would be more than happy to change it...

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:06 PM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Playing in After Effects

nolaguy wrote:
Great job, eugen.

I didn't scrutinize it carefully but my $0.02...

For my tastes, there's too much of the same effect and some of it is really exaggerated. I'm liking the subtle effects far more than the high drama especially when the subject and background lighting are markedly different.

To me, a conventional fade to fade slide show of still images with perhaps three or four of the 3D effects sprinkled in would be more engaging - almost where the viewer did a double-take when the 3D was used like "wait, what just happened?"... and using only the most successful separations. For example,
...Show more

Chuck, this is done from individual pictures, none of these are composites so the lighting between background and subjects could not be different....

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:08 PM
eugen1973
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Playing in After Effects

I thought that the effect might be too strong on some of them and the masking a little sloppy on some. I still have all the AE files so I can always tone it down, but now I'm done with it... Too many (fun) hours already...

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:10 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Playing in After Effects

eugen1973 wrote:
Somebody posted here a cool 3D slideshow made in After Effects and I liked it so much I decided to make one myself. These are pictures from engagement sessions and weddings I did this year. Let me know if you dig it.
http://youtu.be/mSSsgeA8U9w

I got the trial version. Do you have a tutorial on how to do this? I imported two PSD files, one background, one foreground (the person), tried to do this but it wants to bring both forward at the same time. I made a camera layer, clicked on the stop watch, I just can't get it.

Oct 22, 2013 at 09:19 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Playing in After Effects

Figured it out. Had to change scaling.

Oct 23, 2013 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.