New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens Strength

prof1000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Strength

How does a cannon 300 mm lens compare to a lumix 16times zoom. will the lumix bring things in as close. Thanks

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:15 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Strength

what is your question? Build quality? Are you wanting to compare a 300mm lens to a point and shoot zoom? Which 300mm lens?

Oct 20, 2013 at 07:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Strength

I think he wants to compare angle of view.

Hi Prof,

We need to know what Canon camera and what Lumix camera you have in mind, as it depends on relative sensor size and the focal length of the Lumix lens.

Jim

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Strength

Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not compute.

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:29 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Strength

My lens can bench 450lbs and squat 700.

Oct 20, 2013 at 08:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Strength

The Canon lens will be stronger and most likely have more pixels per duck. If you are not too heavy, you can stand on it carefully. (I've also seen the 300/2.8s undergo high acceleration and cause some real damage.) The image quality of the Canon will be better than the P/S of course.

EBH

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:13 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Strength

There is a WHOLE LOT more involved when you are trying to compare a large sensor digital slr to a tiny chip point and shoot than just the lens focal length/magnification. My wife has one of the Panasonic 20x superzooms and it does a very good job and it's convenient to have a 24-600 equivalent zoom in a compact form, but it can't compare to a full frame digital slr with a 600 f4 lens for image quality. If you are only making 4x6 prints though which I'm assuming is the size you're doing, you won't see a big difference.

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Strength

snapsy wrote:
My lens can bench 450lbs and squat 700.

I demand a steroid test.

EBH

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Strength

You should check out the female Helios swim team.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Strength

The first part of this web page should be helpful. You will need the sensor sizes of both cameras and the focal lengths of both lens you want to compare. The first calculator on the linked page will then allow you to compare by either focal length multiplier or equivalent 35mm focal length.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Strength

prof1000 wrote:
How does a cannon 300 mm lens compare to a lumix 16times zoom. will the lumix bring things in as close. Thanks

A Canon 300mm lens on what camera body? On crop sensor bodies the lens focal length gets "multiplied" by a factor of 1.6.

Which Lumix camera are you referring to? The sensor size and lens focal length will determine the "strength", not the 16x zoom factor.

Oct 20, 2013 at 05:13 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Strength

What the OP is asking about is the relative magnification factor of a Canon 300 vs a Lumix.

The 16x zoom factor mentioned by the OP is mostly a P&S term that gives the zoom factor. For example, a Canon 70 to 210 has a zoom factor of 3x. The old Canon 35 to 350 has a zoom factor of 10x. The zoom factor is calculated by taking the max telephoto FL divided by the min FL. Sensor size does not make a difference (to this calculation).

However, what the OP most likely wants to know, is how much magnification the Canon 300 will give compared to the Lumix P&S. I don't know the specific Lumix that has a 16x optical zoom, but for example the new Lumix DMX FZ70 has a 60x telephoto; 3.58 - 215 mm (20 - 1200 mm in 35 mm equivalent). For this camera you would get four times the scene magnification vs a Canon 300 mm lens on a full frame camera. The same lens on a Canon APS-C camera such as the 7D, gives an equivalent to 300 x 1.6 = 480mm (still about 2.5 times less then the DMX FZ70 at its max telephoto 1200mm equivalent).

Of course this does not take into account light gathering capability (aperture), sensor quality, image quality, etc.

Many people coming from P&S to DSLRs are surprised at how physically large a telephoto lens is for the amount of magnification - I've been asked many times if my 70-200 has telescope like magnification.

So, unless the OP can list the model of Lumix he is referring to, or its 35mm equivalent max focal length, we will not be able to give him an answer.

Jim

Oct 21, 2013 at 02:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Strength

carnac wrote:
...So, unless the OP can list the model of Lumix he is referring to, or its 35mm equivalent max focal length, we will not be able to give him an answer.

Jim

We need to know which Canon camera (or at least, crop factor), too.

Oct 21, 2013 at 07:11 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Strength

How wide is the wide end? 28 mm ff equivalent would be about thesame: 28x16= 448
On crop 300x1.6=480
If you had 300 on ff the lumix would be longer. Some p&s have long telephoto lenses, which could be pricey on a DSLR

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Strength

The "X" factor is simply the difference between the wide end and long end. A lens with a 10MM to 40MM lens is a 4 x lens. a lens with 5MM to 40MM is an 8x lens. It has nothing to do with strength or power or anything else. It is a very handy expression for the marketing dept to toss into the ad copy to sound important. Buy based on the focal lengths you need, not on "power."

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:31 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lens Strength

prof1000 wrote:

does the lumix give a 35mm equivalent rating on the zoom?

anyway there is no way to know just having been given 16x zoom and lumix you need to know what the lens actual focal length is and what the sensor size is, on those cameras they usually take the 16x to mean LONG FOCAL LENGTH / SHORTEST FOCAL LENGTH (i.e. not in the way that binoculars use the #x rating; although I think a few P&S did mean it in the binoculars power sense though) and the ratio alone doesn't tell you anything specifically (the fact that it is so huge though tends to imply that the longest end would just about have to be AT LEAST 35mm FOV equivalent of 300mm and probably more like 450mm or so).

In the end it is pixels per duck that matters, not FOV, when distance limited though so we really need to know the sensor size and how many MP on the Lumix too. If we assume it has like 10MP (or say 10MP of detail at lowest ISO that is reasonably for real) and 450mm 35mm sensor FOV equivalent then it might be like using a 500mm lens on a 5D3 or like using 300mm lens on a 7D, VERY roughly.

Oct 22, 2013 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.